Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

2016 Arkansas\LA routes..

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 07:52 PM
Cab Lizzard
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would make a 2 day trip and ride I 10 to Lake Charles and go South to Cameron and then East on LA 82 back to New Iberia Hwy 14. The Jefferson Island ( Rip Van Winkle gardens is very pretty along with Avery Island just down the road.
The Boiling Point in New Iberia HWY 90 West frontage road for bugs.
From their I would head South to Morgan City thru town over towards Gibson and down the Bayou Black over the three bridges and down HWY 57 to Cocodrie at the end of the road. Back to Bourg and HWY 24 ( Past the Swamp People house with the Houma nation flag) to LaRose then South down La 1 to Grand Isle.
Their is also HWY 3257 to Lafitte
And HWY 23 to Venice
Beautiful country can be very Hot and Humid with lots of bugs.
Many National Wildlife Preserves down along the gulf coast.
Bag NOLA over rated.

Old 11-07-2015, 09:36 AM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

Here is a video from a little over a month ago of Ark hwy 123 from the mountain climb end first. Had to cross the double yellow a few times to avoid loose sand, grass, and broken pavement but it is a great ride. Nearly get taken out by a cop responding to a motorcycle wreck about the 15 minute mark even though I gave him nearly all the road to pass on

Old 11-15-2015, 12:20 AM
ironheaddave
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Pig Trail, Talimena Trail, Scenic 7 from Hot Springs to Harrison, Mount Nebo in Russellville, Pedestal Rock to Hagarville, Petite Jean area, Winslow to Beaver Lake, Route 13, Havana to Ozark, pretty much everywhere really. Arkansas is awesome. If you come down through Vicksburg follow the river cross over at Natchez down to NO on the West side.

Last edited by ironheaddave; 11-15-2015 at 12:25 AM.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:28 PM
gtmalone
Tourer
Received 187 Likes on 119 Posts

Good stuff given here. It's pretty much pick a road in north central/north west AR and it will be good. North of I-30/I-40, west of US67. Avoid I-40! Lots of trucks and road construction particularly from about Russellville to West Memphis.

The Talimena is one of my all time favorite roads. Runs from Mena, AR to Talihina, OK.

Old 11-21-2015, 11:07 AM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member

Three words of warning about Ark. WATCH FOR DEER!!!!!!! In 2 days and 600 miles of riding my son and I had 3 very close encounters all captured on video. They are thick over there! This was around the first of Oct this year.

Last edited by tnriverluver; 11-21-2015 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:21 AM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

very true! They get used to vehicles along major hi ways but the deep sound of harleys will make them bolt. And they are stupid about it. Often running into you as much as you them. Or going after you think they are going to 180 or just wait.

have given up counting along I30 between Hope and LIT..... lost count like at 50+

Old 11-21-2015, 11:41 AM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by road king Q
very true! They get used to vehicles along major hi ways but the deep sound of harleys will make them bolt. And they are stupid about it. Often running into you as much as you them. Or going after you think they are going to 180 or just wait.

have given up counting along I30 between Hope and LIT..... lost count like at 50+
Exactly! On 2 of the encounters they were standing right next to the road and I stopped a few feet away revving the motor and blowing the horn just to spook them away. Both times took a few seconds before they took off down the road and then of course shot on across a little ways down. The other just jumped out in front of us unseen until that point. Lord knows how many more close encounters we had that we missed. I live in W Tenn and deer are as bad here so I am very accustomed to watching for them.

Old 11-21-2015, 10:56 PM
Fireax
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by scumBAGGER
loved the smokies and Appalachian mountains, that was one the best trips ever.

party on Bourbon street will be the goal but seeing LA and the swamps is part of the attraction I love seeing this Country and all the places you wont see from the interstate..

La must offer something in the back roads?

how is the ride down to Grand isle? or Pilottown?
22 from Madisonville to French Settlement is about the best we have in SE La for curves, but be careful. No banking in the curves, they are Flat! Interesting bar and good music on summer weekends at Tin Lizzie. Cajun Pride Swamp Tour out of LaPlace for swamp and alligators, Middendorf's at Manchac for supper, try to time it so you see sunset over Lake Maurepas from the top of the bridge over Pass Manhac. That is also a nice ride over Manchac Swamp, and there is a board walk into the swamp near Ponchatoula. Ponchatoula is a neat little town with a lot of antique stores, a captive alligator, and a couple of pretty good restaurants. White Castle, Oak Alley, and Laura are the plantations to see. Forget Bourbon, except to say you been there, catch the Natches Dinner Cruise (genuine steam paddlewheeler) for good music and food and sunset with city lights reflected in the Big Muddy. Nix on PilotTown unless you want to catch a charter and do some fishing, but the fishing out of South Pass Is Very Good! Pilottown is 15 or 20 miles down the river from Venice by boat, Venice is Not a scenic ride and Not a scenic town. Oil Field and Fishing Industrial. Grand Isle aint much either, unless you just want to see what offshore oil platforms look like; but if you decide to go watch out for the speed trap in Golden Meadow. if you want to see oil platforms in the Gulf take the little ride down to the beach at Bell Pass and Fourchon. Also good fishing off the beach there and at Elmers Isle, but just for a scenic beach ride better Long Beach, Gulfport and Biloxi, and better restaurants. Nice boat ride out to Ship Island out of Gulfport or Biloxi, and Very Nice beach and historical fort at Ship Island. Watch the dolphins ride the bow wave on the boat going out to Ship Island.

Last edited by Fireax; 11-21-2015 at 11:17 PM.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:21 PM
Knuckles73
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If leaving Memphis south...I would stay off HWY 61. Tried riding it on way back from Ozarks to Florida on way to Vicksburg, MS for nights stay...Hwy 61 was one of the worse roads I have ever been on...besides Iowa and Kansas on way to Sturgis

Old 11-30-2015, 01:24 PM
1992ultraclassic
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stop by Transylvania, LA and have a great laid back meal at the little restaurant next to the gas station. Great food at a good price! Then head on down to Harbor Seafood and Oyster Bar at Kenner, LA for lots of great seafood. The ride from Arkansas down is enjoyable too!

Quick Reply: 2016 Arkansas\LA routes..