Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

To Hub or not to Hub

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 03:09 PM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

we got a nice room very reasonable at Winter Park in the summer. Not sure what areas you are trying to hit

Old 11-03-2015, 04:59 PM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 309 Likes on 198 Posts

We did two days at Estes Park, two at Buena Vista, two at Ouray, one at Moab, and three at Durango like the second week in August of this year. Not really crowded anywhere we went. I think I would hate Estes during mid summer. We did not have to pack up every day. We had a blast.

I am sure you could find a place in Grand Lake. We ate over there twice, breakfast and lunch. Don't remember the name, but it is a saloon/restaurant down the street on the left. Good food.

And as recommended, we ate at Jan's in Buena Vista. Good food.

We stayed in KOA camping cabins at each location. In Ouray, we ate both suppers at the campground. Ribs one night and Brisket the next. It was great. They only cook like two nights a week.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:32 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Dillon/Breckenridge area would be good for the Rockies. You could do Mt. Evans in a day, then Pikes's Peak, then Rocky Mountain National Park. Drop south to Independence Pass and over to Vail. North to Steamboat Springs.

Away from the Rockies you might consider Eureka Springs, Ark. We tried this and were pleasantly surprised at the great riding in the area. You can get a free map of motorcycle roads at any motel or convenience store. Plan on 4 or 5 days to get all the good roads.

Bill

Old 11-04-2015, 11:47 AM
Mountain Cruiser
Banned
Received 502 Likes on 321 Posts

Groveland, Ca is a nice place to ride out of in California. It's a small town with a few good resturants, some cool bars and you can camp or stay in a hotel.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:01 AM
robertwy
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mountain Cruiser
Groveland, Ca is a nice place to ride out of in California. It's a small town with a few good resturants, some cool bars and you can camp or stay in a hotel.
I'd love to do Ca. for a few days. Man it's a long way from home. The fastest way according to Google Maps is over 1600 miles which I would probably break down into three days each way. It wouldn't leave a lot of time to ride around out there. Plus that fastest way is mostly on Interstate which I despise.

I've been out there is a car before and I know I would love to ride it, but I'll have to wait until retirement to have sufficient time.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:46 PM
ironheaddave
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Closest I've come to hubing was one night. Does that count?

I thought Estes Park was nice but really it is so far to go back from almost anywhere. Cortez or Durango down south. Estes Park. Leadville? US 50 area Gunnison.

KOA in Ouray was great last time. Biker area, bikers always leave firewood.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:15 AM
FloridaFLHX
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

We've always done one night and moved on. Last summer, we did two nights in Moab, and it was like a light bulb went on for me. Not having to load the bike, knowing where we were coming back to, getting to try different places to eat... all of that was nice. This year, we're trying some hubs. Staying closer to home - riding the Ozarks in '16. So far, one night in Hot Springs on our way to Eureka Springs. I have us staying there three nights before moving on. Not sure where the next hub will be. Maybe a couple of one-nighters before finding another hub in East Tennessee. Haven't gotten that far in my planning. So I guess it's gonna be a combination of hub / one-nighters for us.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:41 AM
robertwy
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by FloridaFLHX
We've always done one night and moved on. Last summer, we did two nights in Moab, and it was like a light bulb went on for me. Not having to load the bike, knowing where we were coming back to, getting to try different places to eat... all of that was nice. This year, we're trying some hubs. Staying closer to home - riding the Ozarks in '16. So far, one night in Hot Springs on our way to Eureka Springs. I have us staying there three nights before moving on. Not sure where the next hub will be. Maybe a couple of one-nighters before finding another hub in East Tennessee. Haven't gotten that far in my planning. So I guess it's gonna be a combination of hub / one-nighters for us.
It is nice while on a trip to not have to repack every day. It makes for a more relaxing day ride.

Check the link below for a couple of good day rides out of Eureka Springs.
http://texasharleyrider.com/ark1013/

Old 11-13-2015, 06:01 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

We enjoy renting a cabin for a few days and then Journey out. One of our 2016 trips will be in Utah again. This June we will ride The loneliest Road In America and then spend three nights out of cabin in Torrey utah, visiting Moab,Capitol reef,Bryce and Zion parks.

Old 11-13-2015, 06:31 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,347 Likes on 1,552 Posts

Hub can be more relaxing - no unpacking or setting up every day, and if there are any weather issues you can sit it out.

Quick Reply: To Hub or not to Hub