Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Road trip from nyc to cali

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 03:36 PM
Dragginboards
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quite a lot of great ideas, but only one that I see may have been left out. You need to ride some of Route 66 "the mother road" The best parts are from Oklahoma City west. I am sure you can find a part and included it in you ride. If you ride the part in the Texas panhandle please stop at the Mid Point Café in Adrian, Texas just west of Amarillo! Great food and home made pies! A great stop and a piece of history that made America a country on the move!

I rode it from start to finish Chicago to LA in 2010! one of my favorite trips of all time! I even had a commemorative timing cover made for my 05 Fat Boy to show my "mother road" Pride!

Ride safe!

Old 11-11-2015, 07:02 PM
BigWaterJim
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 127 Posts

Across country on a sportster, you must be special forces.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:54 AM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

Originally Posted by LIDAN
First I want to thank you all for the great response, I really appreciate it. As for the ride, I really didn’t know that the south of America Is going to be that cold, so now I’ll take that in mind, and will try to reach at least as far as new Orleans, if ill see that I can handle the cold ill might keep on going, if not I will look for a cheap way to deliver the bike to san Diego from new Orleans. Ill promise to keep in touch and post once in a while. And of course I will love to meet any one of you along the way.
Thanks again
lidan
Just in case you decide to ship you bike: http://www.funtransport.com/

Also, if you aren't already, I would consider a membership to American Motorcycle Assoc. In addition to a member discount with the above-mentioned transporter, another benefit is roadside assistance. Good luck.

Old 11-14-2015, 02:35 PM
ironheaddave
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No problem until you get to New Mexico. Crossing New Mexico and Arizona on interstate 10 or the US hwys you just need to travel in the middle of the day and you should be okay if you have good gloves, boots and clothing. Depending on when you get there you might would want to stay in a motel in that area if you don't have the proper camping equipment for 20 degree F or lower. Currently it's in the high 50's so it really a matter of timing. Today you could be touring the Grand Canyon with no problem. By Sunday night it's going to be cold again. If you have some time you can easily go all the way along I-40 Old Route 66 near the Grand Canyon.

If you take the more southern route you should check out Tombstone.

The main problem is camping at night, not so much riding during the day. I froze my *** off in Wyoming a couple of nights in August this year. What works great in warm weather can get cold at night. You still have your riding clothes to fall back on if it gets cold camping at night.

40 degrees F is pretty cold if your not wearing the right gear. Especially boots and gloves. What can be the worst scenario is getting wet and cold. We do get a lot of rain down south this time of year so you'll need to watch the weather. You need something to cover your face as well.

Last edited by ironheaddave; 11-14-2015 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:56 PM
HDriderDave1
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I would definitely head to the Skyline drive at Front Royal, VA. Take it to the Blue Ridge Parkway all the way to the end. Go to the Wheels Through Time Museum Maggie Valley NC. Take 441 over the mountain to Gatlinburg TN. From there make your way to Nashville TN. Just south of Nashville off of hwy 100 pick up the Natchez Trace in TN. Take it all the way south to Natchez, MS. From there cross the bridge into LA.... Someone else will take you from there. If you do decide to take this route, I will try and ride with you some down the trace. Ride safe bro and have fun!

Old 11-29-2015, 08:52 PM
Fireax
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well now lets see. First post was Nov. 10 and he was going to head out "This Friday". The 13th? Friday November 13? Anybody heard anything from Lidan? I am sure a lot of us would like to help a man starting out on an ambitious trip like that this time of year. Lidan, are you on the road?

Old 11-30-2015, 02:12 PM
ironheaddave
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have wondered the same thing.

With all the rain and cold weather it would not be a very fun trip.