Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Daytona Bike Week Road Trip 2016

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 10:10 PM
ironheaddave
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Daytona Bike Week Road Trip 2016

What's Up people?

I have never been to Bike Week in Daytona Beach so being the 75th anniversary it seems like the only logical thing to do.

I will be trying to leave from Mobile a few days before the rally and follow the Gulf Coast, US 98 around the shoreline and ride along the various beaches checking out the scenery, resting on the beach and enjoying the gulf seafood along the way. From US 98 to US 19/41 around the coast at Tampa following US 41 to Miami where US 1 will be the only Hwy South to Key West. This is about a 3 day trip taking into account the slow highway speeds and multiple stops along the way. Less than a day riding North back up 1 to Fort Lauderdale along the ocean shore and beaches. From Fort Lauderdale I was thinking to head over to Bahama for a couple of days. I'm thinking depart on March 1 and return on March 3.

I may need to adjust this schedule but for the most part the rally is just an excuse to go.

Back on US 1 on the 3rd headed to Jacksonville with Daytona Beach and many beaches and old towns along the way. US 90 West back to Mobile.

Obviously there are a lot of blanks that need to be filled in but the route is good.

Shore and surf fishing a possibility. Lobster is a definite menu item from the ocean.

Last edited by ironheaddave; 11-14-2015 at 10:12 PM.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:54 AM
farmboy555
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 96 Posts

I'll be eating breakfast at Robbie's Marina, Islamorada Key look for the black Ultra
Plan on getting to the Key's long before bike week, but who knows

Old 11-15-2015, 12:06 PM
SG_Jim
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ironheaddave
From US 98 to US 19/41 around the coast at Tampa following US 41 to Miami where US 1 will be the only Hwy South to Key West.
The only flaw I see in your plan is going thru Miami. There are better ways to get to the keys. I would skip Miami, there's nothing worth seeing there.

Old 11-15-2015, 02:14 PM
h-d wrencher
Stellar HDF Member
Received 796 Likes on 302 Posts

Swing through St. Augustine if you have time. Nice town and a lot of history there.

Old 11-15-2015, 03:17 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Great trip.
You are looking at 1,000 miles in 3 days so you won't be laying on the beach much.

Old 11-15-2015, 04:10 PM
ironheaddave
Tourer

Originally Posted by Jonesee
Great trip.
You are looking at 1,000 miles in 3 days so you won't be laying on the beach much.
I normally ride down the beach from Gulf Shores to Panama City taking the National Seashore and outer islands. If I leave the house at noon I can make it to Panama City by dark. Then I ride back home the same night. I pretty much just stop for gas and go making two or three stops on the beaches and eating along the way.

I would be doing a lot of riding to get to Key West without many long stops. I normally ride 600 to 800 miles in a full day so three days is possible. Considering the traffic it may be even slower than my normal trip down the beach. At the seashore over here there are long stretches of 25 mph zones for birds. A lot of the ride down 98 / 41 / 51 is just open highway, stopping at the more popular beaches this should not be a problem.

Some of the laying on the beach will actually be sleeping on the beach.

Old 11-15-2015, 04:12 PM
ironheaddave
Tourer

Originally Posted by h-d wrencher
Swing through St. Augustine if you have time. Nice town and a lot of history there.
It's on the list. I have not been there in a lot of years. I think it's the oldest town in Florida isn't it?

Old 11-15-2015, 04:27 PM
ironheaddave
Tourer

Originally Posted by SG_Jim
The only flaw I see in your plan is going thru Miami. There are better ways to get to the keys. I would skip Miami, there's nothing worth seeing there.
Heading down there the route seems to be on the outskirts of Miami. Hwy 1 going back seems to be the most central part of town. I am planning to go up A1A so it's something factored into the timeline. I should have at least a couple of weeks, usually 16 days off and this is the shortest road trip I've made.

The dates are more or less a reference. There is no hard timing as I can't plan things very well and I normally just go home from no telling where I'm at working and load the bike and head out with a general direction and waypoint plan. Normally I can get home in one or two days and back to work in one or two days or flying in one day each way.

Old 11-15-2015, 04:31 PM
ironheaddave
Tourer

Originally Posted by farmboy555
I'll be eating breakfast at Robbie's Marina, Islamorada Key look for the black Ultra
Plan on getting to the Key's long before bike week, but who knows
I'll check it out. I'll be on a black Ultra Limited unless I decide to take the Road King to the end of the world. If I take the Road King it will be black with an Ultra Tour Pack.

Out of the thousands of black Ultras it should be easy to find you there.

Old 11-15-2015, 05:08 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by ironheaddave
Heading down there the route seems to be on the outskirts of Miami. Hwy 1 going back seems to be the most central part of town. I am planning to go up A1A so it's something factored into the timeline. I should have at least a couple of weeks, usually 16 days off and this is the shortest road trip I've made.

The dates are more or less a reference. There is no hard timing as I can't plan things very well and I normally just go home from no telling where I'm at working and load the bike and head out with a general direction and waypoint plan. Normally I can get home in one or two days and back to work in one or two days or flying in one day each way.
I've ridden virtually all the highways you will be on. There will be slow going.
The hint you got about staying out of Miami is accurate. No point in it. Will add a lot of time, nothing worth seeing on that part of 1/A1A. Hit the t-pike and follow it to its end and jump off at A1A south.

Coming out of the keys, heading north to Daytona, rethink following A1A. You can do it but it is a PIA. If you want to do it to say you did it, then by all means. Just realize it will be a slow slog heading north on A1A to Daytona.

Quick Reply: Daytona Bike Week Road Trip 2016