Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Daytona Bike Week

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 09:20 AM
chief1600
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Daytona Bike Week

Hey everyone. I'll be attending Daytona Bike Week for the first time. I'm getting sent to the area for a conference for work and decided to take a little extra time to attend from Friday - Sunday before my conference starts. My conference is in Orlando, so not far from Daytona. I was planning to stay the first three nights in Daytona but I'm not sure where to stay in order to be in close proximity to all the action. I'm not terribly interested in spending a pile of money to stay in one of the beach hotels. I'd like to keep it reasonable but still be able to enjoy everything bike week has to offer. Can one of the more Bike Week experienced guide me a bit? Where is a good, reasonably priced place to stay with convenient access to the excitement? Your recommendations are appreciated. Thanks all!!

Old 01-06-2016, 10:59 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Edited, I just re-read your post.

Best hope for a cheap hotel room in Daytona is to get on Orbitz, Kayak etc. and start doing your homework.
It's a pretty good hike from Orlando to Daytona Beach. On weekdays during rush hour it can be a beotch.
Where in Orlando is your meeting?

If you aren't going to imbibe in the evenings, I would recommend staying in the Lake Mary area.

If you are going to indulge in adult beverages in the evening, stay in Daytona and just set your alarm early.

Last edited by Jonesee; 01-06-2016 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:59 PM
chief1600
Road Master

I'll be in Kissimmee 3/7 - 3/11 at the Gayloard Palms. I plan to stay in Daytona 3/3 - 3/6 if I can find reasonable accommodations.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:37 PM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 308 Likes on 197 Posts

We have stayed at the Best Western on Speedway Blvd a couple of times. It is kind of pricey, but nice with a restaurant and bar next door.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:01 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by chief1600
I'll be in Kissimmee 3/7 - 3/11 at the Gayloard Palms. I plan to stay in Daytona 3/3 - 3/6 if I can find reasonable accommodations.
Will you be commuting to Kissimmee from Daytona Beach during the 3 days you plan on visiting Daytona?
That drive would be a haul, right through the heart of Orlando. Traffic on I-4 during rush hour is a special type of hell... The Greenway might be faster but is quite a bit longer in distance.

I haven't lived in Orlando in a while.
If you are planning to make the commute, go to the Florida Crew forum and ask for some of the gang that lives in the area to help you with the fastest routing.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:02 PM
chief1600
Road Master

Originally Posted by Grandslam
We have stayed at the Best Western on Speedway Blvd a couple of times. It is kind of pricey, but nice with a restaurant and bar next door.
I'd be fine with that since I don't care much for the beach anyway. My question is, how easy is it to get to the fun stuff from there. I'll have a rental car since riding my bike from WI in early March is pretty much out of the question. Is there plenty of cage parking down by Riverside park and other areas. My understanding is that area is pretty much the epicenter, correct?

Old 01-06-2016, 09:24 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member

Daytona and the area is relatively small. But you won't be able to park in 1 spot to see it all.
The key areas are:
Main St
Beach St
Destination Daytona
Iron Horse Saloon and close bars
The Speedway
The Cabbage Patch

From the Daytona Speedway, Speedway Blvd (or really anyplace in the area) is an easy run to the areas that will interest you.

Speedway Blvd. east dumps you on Beach St where there are a ton of vendors.
Beach St North a few blocks will dump you out at the base of the Main St bridge heading east.
Main St. is the parade... All the bikes, and a ton of bands, bars, vendors etc.
Look for a place to pay to park and walk. (since you are in a car, wear comfortable shoes for walking. No one is going to be looking at your shoes anyway)

Speedway Blvd. west to I-4 north up to the Ormond Beach Exit US1.
1 block north on 1 is Rossmeyer Harley and Destination Daytona.
A mile or 2 south on 1 and you will hit the Iron Horse and a few other bars.

Ask local to get to the Cabbage Patch. I can drive there, but don't know the road names.

The must-hit places for the first timer:
-- ******* Tropical Tattoo Bike Show. The dates haven't been posted yet. Not your yuppy trophy bikes, Bikes built in garages by hand. Crazy variety. Run what you brung, ride the bike in and enter it. Cold beer on site grab one and see the best garage builds all in one place.
-- Main Street to see the show.
-- Boot Hill Saloon at the top of Main
-- Iron Horse Saloon on US1 (if you are there at dinner time, steak and taters with a beer, thank me later. paper plate and eat on your lap)
-- Destination Daytona (not my thing but every first timer should see the worlds largest Harley dealer)
-- The flat track races at the Speedway (you will have to check the dates to see if they are running)
-- Walk Beach St to see the vendors.
-- The Cabbage Patch if you have time just to say you've been there. If you can hit it on a day they are wrestling, go then. That way you can not only say you've been but also WTF am I doing watching this?!!! A bit like a gruesome car accident on the highway, you just can't look away.

You will be there the day before everything gets kicked off, and will have a chance to see a lot before the real crowds arrive.

Last edited by Jonesee; 01-07-2016 at 06:03 AM.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:33 PM
iRider
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 1,384 Likes on 814 Posts

There is a BBQ Joint near Ross Meyer H-D at the Ormond Beach exit. Best BBQ I have ever ate and reasonably priced.

Old 01-10-2016, 03:49 PM
chief1600
Road Master

So, it I stay too far away from the festivities to walk is there plenty of cager parking in the area? I'll be renting a car in Orlando and driving up for the weekend. Or am I better off getting a room near the beach and walking most everywhere?

Old 01-10-2016, 05:21 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member

You can always find parking. Around Main St. count on paying, but within a block or less.

Quick Reply: Daytona Bike Week