Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Southern Maine

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 01:12 PM
Rocker NH
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,022 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytona Fat Boy
Rocker NH may know the route numbers, but about 30 years ago we took a long day trip to Sugarloaf Mountain, over to Rangeley, down to Rumford, over to Bethel, & down to Lynchville (photo op there with a cool sign post giving directions to Naples, Paris, Peru, China, and other towns in Maine that are named after foreign places). Not far from there to Norway and back to Auburn, where we were staying. It was very scenic with plenty of mountains and lakes. Watch out for moose and bears! Like Rocker NH said, there are prettier places to stay than Auburn, but its centrally located to a lot of places, and is a lot less expensive. Not much to do there if you got stuck on a rain day other than some of the classic watering holes in Lewiston. There used to be a Harley dealer there, but with all the H-D palaces going up, I'm not sure about that now.
LA Harley is still there--nice place----I agree with you on that area,its all nice riding in Maine,have covered most of that state--its usually our favorite destination--you can follow the river out of that area to Augusta then towards coast and back in a day--I do the Rangley to Rumford to Bethel atleast once a year[usually July] for weather purposes---enjoy the scenery---Rocker

Old 01-20-2016, 01:35 PM
Rocker NH
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,022 Likes on 1,852 Posts

First three are from Northern most point and Americas first mile and last is of course southern most point--We've done all of rt 1 east coast except South Carolina and Georgia,maybe this summer

Old 01-27-2016, 11:08 AM
davedyna
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Adding to Rocker's inputs...

In Stowe ride Smugglers as previously mentioned which is Rt 108. Ride 15 E to 100C which will connect to 100. This part of 100 is sometimes a bit beat but they are always updating the road so it may be good now. Take Rt 58 E to 5A S through Willoughby Gap (lake on your right) which will convert back to 5. I get on 91 S around Lyndonville and take the exit to Rt 2 but you can also stay on 5S to Rt 2 E. Stay on 2 E all the way into NH and to 16 South. Ride through Pinkham notch and stay in N Conway (preferably weekday) as Rocker mentioned. This is one ride choice with great riding and views.
A great ride is Rt 16 (or Rt 2) from N Conway, stay on the one you choose all the way to Rt 201 in Maine. Use 201A to skip Skowhegan area and the ride N 201 to Rt 15 in Jackman. Follow 15 into Greenville and stay overnight. Next day head south on 15 to Bangor and across 1A/1 to Ellsworth/Acadia area as Rocker has mentioned. If you are really going to tour ME it is hard to hub in just one area but this would be a good one. If you really want to do northern ME I would loop Rt 11 to Route 1 (out to 1A then back to 1) staying along the ME Canadian border then down to Ellsworth. This is a good day and a half ride.
I agree that Rt 11 can be a long ride (I personally love it’s quietness) so it is really a matter touring ME versus a hub. Ellsworth/Acadia is a great place for seacoast and Acadia has great (short loops) Cadillac Mt must be done and Bar Harbor will keep you moisturized (try to find a motel outside the bar harbor area that has shuttle service). Again, that time of year will be busy so weekdays are your friend, as is early morning (like 6-9 early) along the more touristy routes. Maine is good sized and is kind of divided into the Northern boonies, the Seacoast and its very touristy but gorgeous area, and the Southwest area which is a bit more populated but has some good rides as well.

Dave

Old 01-27-2016, 11:35 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 82 Posts

Was up there last August as the weather was perfect. Sunny and Blue Skies everyday for a week. Spent all the time on US 1, Coastal Highway from Old Orchard Beach all the way up to Bar Harbor. One of the best highlights we've ever encountered was 'The Maine State Prison Showroom' in Thomaston before you get to Rockland where they host their Annual Lobster Fest. The prisoners built an ALL Wooden Bike with David Mann and a female sitting in the back. So awesome, Double Thumbs Up !.

1. Old Orchard Beach, The Pier
2. DeLorme - Eartha, World's Largest Revolving Earth
3. LL Bean in Freeport
4. Camden Hills State Park
5. Maine State Prison, Thomaston
6. Rockland - Annual Lobster Fest
7. Penobscot Narrow Bridge
8. Fort Knox
9. Bar Harbor
10. Acadia National Park/Cadillac Mountain, That's for sure !.

Lots of places to eat especially my favorite was 'The Hideaway Diner' in the middle of nowhere as I called it "The Hidden Gem !.". They got the best Double Blueberry Medley Sour Cream Bacon Cheeseburger, That was to die for !!!.

On our way back home on Rt. 16 to NH, We paid a visit on both sides of Mount Washington by our Harleys and COG Railroad. Great experience. Stayed at Clarendon Motel and dined at Muddy Moose Restaurant in North Conway. Taxi transported 4 of us round trip as we celebrated our last night of vacation and got real drunk, LOL.

Thorey

Old 01-28-2016, 09:03 PM
Buzz 3
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Dave and Deaf thanks for the info. I will get on google maps and layout some of the suggestions. Deaf, you in Brockport? I will be starting this trip from just east of Rochester. Have a little spot on the Bay over there.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:07 PM
Islander-2015
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hunter55
Im also in the planning stages to ride NH-Maine- New Brunswick and Nova Scotia and was planning to be there the first week August, what time of year would you recommend,we have 3-4 weeks but would prefer a little warm weather.
I did a solo trip late last August from Maine through New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia and Cape Breton--final destination was the Cabot Trail. The weather was perfect, temperature-wise. I did have a lot of rain, but August is not a rainy season, it was just my bad luck. This is a great trip, very scenic, not much traffic, really nice people. Cabot Trail was an awesome ride. I did this trip in one week starting in Bar Harbor, Maine area, a 1,500 round trip.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:19 PM
Islander-2015
Advanced

Originally Posted by Buzz 3
Gonna be riding southern Maine the 1st week in August. Need some advice on a base hub in Maine and recommendations on any roads/places to go.

Thanks
Consider Mid Coast and DownEast Maine, which is Rockland/Camden area to Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park area. I live on an island 6 miles off the coast near Bar Harbor. If you come to Maine, you should visit Acadia National Park and ride to the top of Cadillac Mountain, a very scenic ride and great views from the top overlooking Bar Harbor and many of the off-shore islands. Camden and Rockland offer a great coastal Maine flavor, lots of restaurants and great views, too. There's a transportation museum just outside Rockland with some vintage Harley Davidson motorcycles. It's worth a stop. It's called Owl's Head Transportation Museum--planes, cars, motorcycles. Coastal Maine to the Canadian borders is great riding and from Bar Harbor to the border the traffic will be very light. Southern Maine will be a nightmare for traffic in August!

My picture was taken on the way down from the top of Cadillac Mountain. It's a fun, winding road offering great views! I ride it several times a year--lucky to live in such a beautiful area.

Last edited by Islander-2015; 01-28-2016 at 10:21 PM. Reason: adding more info
Old 01-29-2016, 05:29 AM
Hunter55
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Islander-2015
I did a solo trip late last August from Maine through New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia and Cape Breton--final destination was the Cabot Trail. The weather was perfect, temperature-wise. I did have a lot of rain, but August is not a rainy season, it was just my bad luck. This is a great trip, very scenic, not much traffic, really nice people. Cabot Trail was an awesome ride. I did this trip in one week starting in Bar Harbor, Maine area, a 1,500 round trip.
Thanks Islander-2015 Im headed down to the Canadian embassy in Chicago today to get all the tourist brochures/ info I can find,sounds like a Great ride.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:10 AM
Islander-2015
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hunter55
Thanks Islander-2015 Im headed down to the Canadian embassy in Chicago today to get all the tourist brochures/ info I can find,sounds like a Great ride.
Hunter 55 - you can go online and search Nova Scotia and get a travel guide sent to you. I did that last winter so I could plan my trip. There's tons of information available online. I went with no preconceived plan other than reaching and riding the Cabot Trail. I had some ideas of riding distances, but I was hampered by rain from the start, 19 miles into the trip and on 5 of the 7 days I was traveling. It caused me to make changes based on the fly. All in all, the trip was great and I learned a lot about myself. It was my first week long solo trip and I came home feeling quite accomplished. The Trans Canadian highway is a beautiful road. I took the back roads when I was not in a hurry and that was way more scenic. I only stayed one night on Prince Edward Island and wish I had planned for more time there. It was great, an 8 mile bridge to get there and then I took a ferry from the other side to get to Nova Scotia.

~ Donna

Old 01-29-2016, 11:12 AM
Hunter55
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Islander-2015
Hunter 55 - you can go online and search Nova Scotia and get a travel guide sent to you. I did that last winter so I could plan my trip. There's tons of information available online. I went with no preconceived plan other than reaching and riding the Cabot Trail. I had some ideas of riding distances, but I was hampered by rain from the start, 19 miles into the trip and on 5 of the 7 days I was traveling. It caused me to make changes based on the fly. All in all, the trip was great and I learned a lot about myself. It was my first week long solo trip and I came home feeling quite accomplished. The Trans Canadian highway is a beautiful road. I took the back roads when I was not in a hurry and that was way more scenic. I only stayed one night on Prince Edward Island and wish I had planned for more time there. It was great, an 8 mile bridge to get there and then I took a ferry from the other side to get to Nova Scotia.

~ Donna
Lol. Thanks Donna, I have searched every web site I could find and asked for all the info they have but patience is not my best attribute HaHa,most replies I received said 2-3 weeks Hell by then I will have all the print wore of these.I would really like to know your thoughts about the western part of NS,was it worth riding or just move on to the Cabot Trail,
P.S. sorry Rocker NH i know this has nothing to do with S.Maine

Last edited by Hunter55; 01-29-2016 at 11:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Southern Maine