Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Southern Maine

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 09:15 PM
Buzz 3
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Islander-2015
Hey Buzz,

I understand about not wanting to cross the border into Canada. I live here in Maine, midcoast area near Acadia National Park. You are right that the US has so much to see. I'm not a great long distance rider yet and had the Cabot Trail on Cape Breton, Nova Scotia on my bucket list, so I went north last summer to see it on my bike. It was well worth it.

I have yet to leave Maine and travel to any other US states, but I am heading to NY to ride the Adirondak mountains in June. I upgraded to a 2014 Softail Deluxe about 18 months ago and now feel like I have a bike that I can travel longer distances on. I ride solo, so I have to feel comfortable where I am planning to travel.

I have little fear, pack no heat, not even a can of mace! I generally believe that all people are good and if I use my head I will be safe traveling alone. I'm sure others would not agree with that, but living here in Maine for me breeds that kind of thinking. It's great going through life without fear!
Glad you have a bike you trust. Solo riding is a truly what makes riding food for the soul. NY does have some great riding also. Don't forget about the Finger Lakes area and the Southern Tier. When you get over that way I could help out with some suggestions. Finding an inexpensive and safe place to stay is a challenge at times as I found out trying to find something in Maine in August...lol. My trip this summer is with a group so B&B's and camping weren't options. I look forward to hearing about your trip.

Old 02-02-2016, 03:51 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Islander-2015

I have little fear, pack no heat, not even a can of mace! I generally believe that all people are good and if I use my head I will be safe traveling alone. I'm sure others would not agree with that, but living here in Maine for me breeds that kind of thinking. It's great going through life without fear!
"Maine, the way life is supposed to be." Isn't that what the sign says when you cross over from NH? Please be careful on your trip outside of Maine, because the rest of the country isn't anywhere near as safe as you're home town area is. Love your attitude. Just be aware. Ride safe and have a fun trip.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:40 PM
Islander-2015
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytona Fat Boy
"Maine, the way life is supposed to be." Isn't that what the sign says when you cross over from NH? Please be careful on your trip outside of Maine, because the rest of the country isn't anywhere near as safe as you're home town area is. Love your attitude. Just be aware. Ride safe and have a fun trip.

YES, you are right, Maine, The Way Life is Supposed to BE! Gotta' love it!

Old 02-14-2016, 08:39 PM
Buzz 3
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Well I think I have used up a hundred bucks worth of ink printing out all the maps from numerous websites. I will use them and some of the great input from folks here on this site. Looks like more great roads than I have days to ride.

Now how about some great places to stop?? I have Bentley's on the list. How about some other watering holes in VT or south/central Maine? We will be staying around the Stowe area and the Auburn Me area and riding out from those spots. Any good bike nights?

Thanks Buzz

Old 02-15-2016, 06:43 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

Now these are places we used to stop by, but the trips were taken some time ago, so things may have changed. Kerrymen's Pub in Saco had great fish chowder, Great Lost Bear, Raoul's & J's Oyster Bar in Portland, Rick's Cafe in Naples, McSeagulls & the Lobster Co-op in Boothbay Harbor, Moody's Diner in Waldoboro was a classic & the Roadkill Cafe in Rangeley. Lewiston, right next door to Auburn, has the famous Simone's Hot Dog Stand in the old downtown area that is worth a stop. Good steaks at Mac's Grill in Auburn. This is assuming the places are still open & run the same way.

DON'T GO TOs: The Floating Restaurant in Portland or the Clam Bake just north of Old Orchard Beach. Nothing but tourist traps with lousy food.