Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

For those heading to Lacaonia this year

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 05:20 PM
harleyfiremedic
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default For those heading to Lacaonia this year

I know a bunch of riders will be heading to Laconia this year and will be taking interstate 91 north. Just wanted to let as many people know as I can. Stay away from I-91 in Springfield. They are starting a two year (at east) project to rebuild the raised section of 91 through the downtown of Springfield, MA. There are lots of delays and the lanes are down to a narrow set of 2 lanes in each direction. They are also closing it down to a single lane on occasion.

Stay away and find another route, the delays can be long and I would imagine the road is going to take a beating.

Figured I would let folks know early so plans can be made accordingly.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:51 AM
y22c
Road Master
Received 163 Likes on 102 Posts

Would RT 5 also be included in your "stay away from RT 91" statement?

Ken

Old 01-20-2016, 05:53 PM
harleyfiremedic
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Ken, As soon as 91 backs up folks are going to be heading through downtown Springfield on surface streets and crossing the river and getting onto rt 5. If I was coming from south of the area, I think I would stay on rt84 up to Sturbridge, MA and then figure my route out from there.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:57 AM
y22c
Road Master

Could always take Rt 7 N off 84 in Danbury all the way thru CT and MA into VT and take RT 9 East to NH.

A much more scenic road.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:12 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,897 Likes on 2,553 Posts

Good advice, thank you. That is the way I go, I guess not this year.

y22c, I never thought to go that way, how is it with speed limits, traffic lights etc? I mean Route 7, Route 9/202 from Brattleboro is the way we go after I91

Old 01-22-2016, 01:27 PM
Rocker NH
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,007 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by y22c
Could always take Rt 7 N off 84 in Danbury all the way thru CT and MA into VT and take RT 9 East to NH.

A much more scenic road.
Good advice!! Alternative rt would be rt2 [Mohawk Trail] off from either rt 7 or rt 8 its a nice ride[ i prefer it to rt 9 in VT],which is also a scenic ride!!-Rt 2 will connect you back on 91 in Greenfield---Rocker

Old 01-23-2016, 06:35 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

I haven't been to Laconia in quite awhile and when we did ride up there it would be mostly interstate riding to save time. Seems like we always took I-84, not I-91, all the way to MA, then somehow stayed on interstates through Worcester to I-495, I-93 and up to Laconia. Definitely not a scenic route, but it would avoid that construction in Springfield & still stay away from downtown Boston traffic.

How is that rally now? Last time I was there in the 90s, it seemed the locals were welcoming the Bikers back to town. After the so-called riot they had in the 60s, it seemed the town didn't want the event at all. It was more of a weekend deal after that, but a wild one for sure camping out along the side of the road near the race track. Ah, to be young again, lol.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:50 AM
y22c
Road Master

Originally Posted by Architect
Good advice, thank you. That is the way I go, I guess not this year.

y22c, I never thought to go that way, how is it with speed limits, traffic lights etc? I mean Route 7, Route 9/202 from Brattleboro is the way we go after I91
RT 7 north from 84 is a nice 2 lane. Speed limit I am guessing is 45-50.

Once you get thru New Milford in CT it is a very mice ride to Pittsfield Ma.

A little sticky in Pittsfield but not all that bad and then north to Bennington and RT7.

As a side note, just south of New Milford CT on 202/old RT7 is Spectro Oils.

The place that make the 6 speed gear oil.

Stop by and see if they will give you a tour.

Ken

Old 01-27-2016, 10:03 AM
davedyna
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Another suggestion is RT311 off 84 and onto rt 22 around Patterson. Ride that all the way up along CT/MA and either cut over to route 7 around Pittsfield (agreed, a bit thick in Pittsfield itself) or up to Rt 9 around Bennington VT. I think Rt 22 moves faster overall but 7 has more small town centers if you enjoy riding through that (many do). I think that route 9 is faser than the Mohawk rail but both are great rides. Nice thing about 9 is you stay on it through VT, into NH and it heads NE connecting with 202 which will put you on Rt 93 in Concord NH. From there, take the 393 to 106 through Loudon and up.

Daytona -- We love having you all come up. The rally is, let's say, more Family friendly now :-) but still plenty to do and good riding. They even have a couple of bike only days on Mt Washington now etc. so a different feel (no camping on the side of the road and no signs to show your stuff generally).

Old 01-27-2016, 02:13 PM
Rocker NH
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,007 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Dave ,lots of times I,ll take 93n out of Concord to New Hampton exit [to 104] which takes you to the Harley dealer and Harts turkey farm area first--then head down the hill to Weirs Beach, I come from the Keene area so 9 to 93 is usually the quickest rt for me

Quick Reply: For those heading to Lacaonia this year