Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

road side assistance plan?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 07:06 AM
cike
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default road side assistance plan?

I have been thinking about joining up with AAA so that I could have some kind of roadside assistance plan in case anything should happen while on the road away from home. Normal AAA doesn't cover motorcycles though, so I would have to buy an upgraded plan to cover the bikes.
I think that HOG also has a plan (I am not a member) I haven't looked into what it would cost.
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with either of these or has any opinions.
I have been taking trips for years without any coverage and would have only needed it on one trip. Is it cheaper just to take a credit card that could be used to cover any surprise repairs?

Old 01-19-2016, 07:51 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

I had to have my bike towed back in November for a flat tire. I was almost 100 miles from home at the time. I've had AAA RV plus for years and used that to have it towed back to my house for no extra charge. Sure it costs more then then the standard AAA, but you also have coverage for any vehicle you own or are traveling in. Paying for a motorcycle only plan will only cover the bike, and for a limited towing distance. When I called AAA, the towing company they called only tow's motorcycles and trikes, with their special tow rig. It took them 50 minutes to get to me ,and 5 minutes to load it up and we were on our way. That's my experience.,,

Old 01-19-2016, 09:07 AM
Joe Mc
Banned
Received 230 Likes on 117 Posts

RV Plus is the way to go. My bike, my cars, my motorcycle trailer, my boat trailer are all covered. I have used it with excellent results and service.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:11 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

I can't speak for AAA but I did have HOG for a few years. I don't really think HOG is worth the cost. Unless you do other HOG stuff. They give you an atlas every year after you renew, which you can run your last one or just buy one. They will only give you one tow per year with the basic membership as well. The tow is only to the nearest Harley dealer to boot. I think it is a limit of $300 for a single tow, which won't necessarily get you where you need if you in the middle of nowhere.

I now just have road side through my insurance company. Cost me less for two bikes than what HOG charged for just one.

I would say check with your insurance first and see what they got. Then compare the perks vs cost.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:26 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,967 Likes on 1,413 Posts

I have AAA that covers both my bikes and cars. Only had to use it one time for the bike. They sent a flat bed and knew what they were doing. Before then I had MTS, https://www.mts-towing.com/. The one time I needed them I was in a remote area of the Central Valley of California not far from Coalinga. They told me they would send a tow truck from the HD dealer in Bakersfield but it would cost me an additional $1,000! I rented a U Haul. That cost me close to $500 to get the bike back to San Francisco. MTS would only reimburse me for $150 of the cost. That's why I dropped MTS and now use AAA for the bikes as well. MTS also took almost two months to send me the check. Each time I called them they said they were backed up and some workers were out sick. What a waste!

Old 01-19-2016, 09:34 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

If you're a HOG member for $30 per year you get coverage in US and Canada from where you're disabled to the town with the closest HD dealer, regardless of mileage. Harley had a special deal many years ago on a lifetime membership and I'm glad I took it. I buy this coverage every year. Don't know what a year to year HOG membership costs these days. With this coverage, plus what I get with Geico roadside on my mc policy, I should be good.

Last edited by mtgriz; 01-19-2016 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:26 PM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,728 Likes on 666 Posts

I have the AAA RV and Motorcycle coverage and it's been worthwhile for me.
Had to have the bike picked up by flatbed twice in the last three years, once for a flat tire 1,000 miles from home and the other for a broken throttle cable. First time was 35 miles to the nearest indie bike shop, second time was for 50 miles to my home. Either one would have cost far more than my yearly dues. Add that to towing the cage once last year and I think AAA premium towing is money well spent.

I may be wrong, but I believe HOG will only tow you to the nearest HD dealer.

And with AAA you get all the maps you want free for those, like me, who still use paper maps.

Old 01-20-2016, 05:58 AM
Passing Lane
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Don't leave home without some sort of coverage. 2012 in southern Utah, broke down in the middle of nowhere and spent over $1000 on a tow.

Old 01-20-2016, 06:17 AM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Be careful with aaa, in the state of assachusetts(no typo...LOL) they offer no mc coverage. My brother is in Conn. and in that state they do???? Stupid.
I have had no coverage for towing for the last 40+ years...I'll have to check on it asap...lol
Not true...we have multiple bike trailers and real close friends and brothers who ride, when someone in the group needs help, someone grabs a trailer and helps them out. Unfortunately, the beer and chow you have to buy probably costs more than the tow...LOL.
Ride safe and breakdown free!

Old 01-20-2016, 06:29 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,928 Likes on 2,568 Posts

I have the coverage through HOG, I think $39 per year covering three bikes and two cars, no complaints with cost. I used it in 2013 when my transmission took a dump coming across the Canadian border in Maine. Took 45 minutes for them to get a truck to me on a Saturday, flat bed. Loaded the bike and the guy took us all the way down to Bangor. The dealership was closed so I had a friend from NH coming to meet us with a truck and trailer. Driver took us to a truck stop right off the interstate to make it easier for my friend to find us.

A bad experience breaking down that was made tolerable due to having the roadside assistance. And the driver would not take a tip!! Two thumbs up!!

Quick Reply: road side assistance plan?