Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Maryland to Minnesota

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 02:11 PM
kberger
Cruiser
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Maryland to Minnesota

have a wedding to go to in Minneapolis in early June and considering riding out instead of flying. Anyone done a similar ride or have thoughts on that ride, that time of year? I'd be solo on a 15 Roadglide. Thanks for any info.

Old 01-30-2016, 07:21 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Originally Posted by kberger
have a wedding to go to in Minneapolis in early June and considering riding out instead of flying. Anyone done a similar ride or have thoughts on that ride, that time of year? I'd be solo on a 15 Roadglide. Thanks for any info.
The way this winter is going up here, it should be warm at least. Looks to me like any way you head up here, you'll be hitting I-90/94 in Madison. If you hit the stretch between the Wisconsin Dells and MN after noon on a Sunday, the traffic heading back to Minneapolis will most likely be horrendous. Same going back on Friday afternoons and most of Saturday; the Dells is popular on weekends. Wisconsin police don't give you much leeway on speed, either. If you take I-90 south to the tollway in Illinois, I've seen traffic backed up for the tollway entrance to Madison on a Sunday afternoon, unbelieveable, over 30 miles of park and go. No accidents, either. I don't know if that's normal, but try to avoid that place on a Sunday afternnoon.

When I-90 splits west from I-94, the traffic usually gets real light, and that's the way I always go now. For a little (just minutes, not an hour) quicker trip, I-90 to highway 52 that goes through Rochester (limited access freeway there, not bad) and is a divided 4 lane all the way up to the cities. Or you can get off on 14/61 just a little ways into MN and take the scenic route up 61. 61 eventually makes a right turn, but you want to go straight and it turns into 50. A few miles of that and you're on highway 52 to the cities. You should be able to easily see the way this route works on google maps. That lower stretch of 61 along the Mississippi River is one of the best rides in MN, to me anyway.

It's also possible to follow the WI side of the river, and cross back into MN at Prescott, WI, another good ride. You may be tired by the time you reach MN and not want to deal with twisties, though, and you'll hit some on either side of the river.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:32 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Just a visual....go around Chicago use 294 from the I 80/90 ....Madison usually not that bad....but I90 between Chicago and Rockford under construction...

Old 01-31-2016, 08:16 PM
eeyore
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry man, but that above is one ugly ride. Kberger, are you in a hurry? If not, go west across W Virginia, Hwy 50 to Parkersburg is great, then up 33 to Columbus, then the interstate through Indianapolis to Bloomington. North on 39/51 to Rockford, then cut over to Dubuque. Take 35 - The Great River Road - on the Wisconsin side up to Hastings. Beautiful ride! Or, get off I90 at Madison and take HWY 14 up to LaCrosse. Nice winding up and downs on that stretch.

June will be a good time of year to ride, warm and long hours of daylight.

Old 01-31-2016, 09:38 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,492 Likes on 1,604 Posts

I'm assuming that this will be a two-day (each way) ride?

Traffic is heavy around the Chicago area during the rush hours so I'd recommend a lay-over either before you get there or shortly after getting around it.

Don't forget your rain gear as June in this part of the country can be damp at times.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:07 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 344 Likes on 197 Posts

Just me but I would take Rt 50 west to Rt 250 then take 250 north all the way to Toledo. Slab it past Toledo, Ann Arbor, Flint, to Bay City and follow the Lake Huron coast crossing the Mackinaw bridge to the U.P. Take 2 west across southern U.P. (or continue north and follow the Lake Superior coast if you have time) then Rt 8 across Wisconsin.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:38 PM
iRider
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 1,384 Likes on 814 Posts

Go to the HD Museum since you are that close to Milwaukee.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:14 PM
kcm210
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I did part of the ride that you're looking at...and while I dont have the details of actual hiways to use (I'm sure you'll use your own route planner), using the above map as a reference...

Come into Canada at Buffalo, lower Ontario through London, exit Canada at Sarnia, through Flint/Grand Rapids etc, catch the ferry across L. Michigan (a two hour ride) to Milwaukee, have a visit at the Museum, Madison, LaCrosse etc on to Minneapolis.
It avoids all that traffic in Chicago, gives you a chance to see the museum (a must see), some really pretty scenery in WI.

Not sure of your timeline....
And just my opinion..

Old 02-10-2016, 05:46 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 82 Posts

From MD, Go on up North and get on Rt. 30 (Lincoln Highway) to Indiana then go up North (Several roads to choose from) to the West Side of Michigan (Lake Superior) and get on the ferry at Ludington, MI which will take you over to Manitowoc, WI.

2 real good excuses here, #1. To avoid Chicago Traffic and #2. Pay a visit at HD Museum, Factory and Store.

Certainly hope it's not Minnysnowta in June.

Thorey

Old 02-10-2016, 06:32 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Wisconsin is a fantastic place to ride in June. If you rode 2 lane you will see nice scenery, and nice people, lots of biker taverns, restaurants.
If you take I94, it basically looks like every other interstate. I would take an extra day or two out, and take 2 lanes. Then hammer it on the interstate to go home.
Or do interstate in mornings, and switch to 2 lanes in afternoon. However you do it, don't do interstate in Wisconsin.

Quick Reply: Maryland to Minnesota