Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Natchez Trace Parkway

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 11:27 AM
HDriderDave1
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

yep, it's paved and a great relaxing ride. Watch out for deer and plenty of stops along the way. Be sure to stop at French Camp and enjoy a good lunch. I will be riding down again the later part of April.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:32 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,968 Likes on 1,414 Posts

I rode the Natchez Trace Parkway in May, 2011 as part of a cross country ride. Here are a couple of stories about that ride.

The Natchez Trace Parkway is just that, a road in the middle of a "park". The trees form a canopy so thick it seems at times like you are riding through a bucolic tunnel. We were riding along and all of a sudden for a quarter of a mile, we were out of the "park". All the trees were broken about six feet off the ground. Total devastation. Then we were back in the park for a few more miles and then again for an eighth of a mile, it was more total devastation, like a nuclear bomb went off. What had happened was two weeks before two tornadoes crossed the parkway, destroying everything in its path. It was one of those moments when I gasped at the forces of nature and felt sorry for all those who lost their lives, houses, farms and businesses due to those tornadoes.

The second story has to do with the sound system on the bike I was riding. I'm kind of hard of hearing so I had the sound system turned up. On the parkway or most roads, no one except myself can hear the music. But if I am passing through a town, those along the streets can hear it so I turn it down a bit (it actually did that automatically on the bike I was riding).

Now I am a big fan of opera. I think opera singers are the most beautiful and skilled singers in the world. I love the sounds that the human voice can make. I know a lot of others don't like opera, but I do. One can however make an argument that the finest opera singer of the 20th century was Leontyne Price, a daughter of Mississippi where she was born and learned to sing. So to honor her and the state of Mississippi, when I rode the Natchez Trace Parkway, I had her music playing on the iPod. I have ten CD complication of her best recordings. So I had a lot of her music on that playlist.

The strange thing is every time I got off the parkway for food or gas, I saw a lot of people grimacing and expressing their displeasure at my choice of music. Guess they didn't like opera. What none of them seemed to get was that I was playing the music of one of the greatest gifts to the world of music that ever came from the state of Mississippi. Along with Elvis, they were the two of the greatest singers that Mississippi has ever produced. There are other good ones but those two are on top of my list. And all I got was frowns from those hearing Price's lofty tones.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:52 PM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've done it three times, the last was this past May. What I do is go to Memphis first and hang out on Beale St. & Graceland. Then head south on the Blues Highway, Rt.61. A must stop is the Delta Blues Museum in Clarksdale, MS. Across the street is the Ground Zero Blues Club. This is about the skankiest place you've ever seen. Not to worry, its much worst inside. Good food, great music. A fun place, my wife loved it.

BTW, Ground Zero refers to Rts. 61 & 49. The center of the Blues World and where Robert Johnson traded his soul to the devil for his guitar skills.

I then ride the trace north from Natchez. Take a walk through the Cypress swamp just north of Jackson, MS. An interesting stop, way off the beaten path is the Coon Dog graveyard in AL. Not too many people have ever been there! It's about 45 min. from Natchez Trace HD.

The Trace is a very peaceful ride, The entertainment is the stops along the way.

Old 02-05-2016, 05:55 AM
ROUNDHEAD
Road Master
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

It is a nice slow ride. Clear your mind, no twists and turns, just be careful about the animals.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:33 PM
ColdEspresso
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I love riding "The Trace".

The Nachez Trace is a beautiful piece of Americana. Because it's a Federal scenic way, you will be limited by the 50 mph speed limit. If you get aggressive, the price tag for the ticket from the Feds is very expensive. Sit back, crank the tunes, and enjoy the ride.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:14 PM
Trekpsycho
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning on riding the Trace from just south of Jackson all the way to Nashville this coming June. Really looking forward to it, I've had it on my bucket list for awhile.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:26 AM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

If the trace is your journey.... not using it to get somewhere else.... Work in Port Gibson, Windsor ruins, Vicksburg, if you have time. Cool history spots. I know there were many side trips we did on the northern end as well, but it has been a looong time. Longwood in Natchez is an interesting plantation visit as well.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:08 AM
TNCarters
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Being from Nashville, we ride the northern end from Loveless Café down to the Alabama line frequently. Plan to do the whole Trace down to Natchez this spring to visit an old college friend in Alexandria. Know I will not have time to sightsee but just want to do it once.

Agree with notes to watch the 4 leg critters as I've had a couple of unpleasant encounters with them at dusk thankfully in my car.

Old 02-10-2016, 10:05 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

I have ridden from end to end several times and from Jackson south more than I can count. I live near the Jackson area and can be on the trace if 10 mins from home so many of our weekend rides are on the trace often stopping at Ratliff Ferry on the Pearl River about 30 miles north of Jackson for beverages and food. If your in the area on the weekends its a great stop. Cold beer, good burgers often a live band playing. Depending on the weather there could be between 10 -70 bikes in the parking lot. Small indoor bar with a large covered deck also several picnic tables around the parking lot and a C-Store where you can purchase beer for less than the bar and hang out in the parking lot

The road is always kept up well and it a smooth trip. The southern section from around Clinton South of Jackson to Natchez was all repaved this summer/fall. Be on the lookout for deer crossing, daytime is not a big worry but after dark/early mornings you better pay attention

Old 02-10-2016, 10:30 AM
TNCarters
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I made the mistake of driving down to northern Miss. once on a business trip right at dark. Never will do that again driving under the speed limit watching for deer crossing the highway. Had to stop numerous times with them standing on the shoulder and once in middle of the road and would not move until I got close. Just don't do it when they are out moving around.

Quick Reply: Natchez Trace Parkway