Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

And then there were two.....

Old 02-05-2016, 12:46 PM
silent1
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

Cool story. I'm enjoying following along as it unfolds.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:05 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,284 Likes on 1,903 Posts

We had a training center just east of Pueblo and a little Cafe nearby had the best Sloppers!
It's been years but the Grand Prix was the best Mexican restaurant in Pueblo, and maybe Colorado. Next time you get back in that country try it out.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:16 PM
Hoser54
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"We had a training center just east of Pueblo and a little Cafe nearby had the best Sloppers!
It's been years but the Grand Prix was the best Mexican restaurant in Pueblo, and maybe Colorado. Next time you get back in that country try it out."

Thanks for the heads up, I'm heading back out west this summer and be sure to check it out.

Old 02-05-2016, 04:43 PM
Joe Mc
Banned
Received 230 Likes on 117 Posts

$25.00 for the Royal Gorge is excessive. Had you purchased your ticket online you would have paid $18.00 which is still expensive but the bridge is quite an engineering feat and the view is spectacular.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:34 PM
Oldman Harley
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great story. I love these travelogues.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:17 PM
Papa G
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 312 Likes on 302 Posts

Can't wait for the next installment! Or is that it?

Old 02-06-2016, 01:29 PM
Hoser54
Advanced

Day 5.

We head back to Pikes Peak Harley to get Russ’s bike fixed.
[img]
Unfortunately the mechanic clears the history before checking why the check engine light went on. Jim, being a mechanic thought that this might happen because normally mechanics don't want to chase down an electrical problem thats warranty work.

So, thinking that all is well we are on our way west again.

Just outside of Colorado Springs guess what light illuminates on the new Harley once again, yep the check engine light. This time Russ decides to go on. We stop in Salida for gas when Russ notices an oil leak under his new bike. For a second I thought about saying “ I thought that was normal for Harleys” but one look at Russ and I thought better of it. Pete was still looking for a ghost town and got directions to St. Elmo Colorado. This is supposed to be a very well preserved ghost town and it was only about 25 miles north of Salida. We find St Elmo and there is no saloon to take the picture that Pete wanted to take.

So we take a bunch of pictures around town and head off to Gunnison. Stopping for some lunch

And going over Monarch Pass

Russ starts looking for another Harley dealership in the HOG guide book and he finds one in Montrose.
We talk with Dan and Jim and decide that Russ and I will go off to Montrose and they will ride through Black Canyon of the Gunnison and we will all meet up around Glenwood Springs.
Then they drop the bomb say that they are getting kind of tired and they are thinking of turning back home Wednesday and taking a nice easy ride home. WTF!! Jim and I had been planning this trip for 7 months and now him and Dan want to leave 3 days early!! I'm kind of bummed at this and I try to talk them out of this idea and we decide to still meet the next day after Russ's bike is repaired and talk about it then. No stats for today Colorado Springs to Gunnison via St. Elmo

Old 02-07-2016, 09:23 AM
ROUNDHEAD
Road Master
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

Oh well! That's the way it goes.

What was wrong with the bike?

Old 02-07-2016, 09:35 AM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Interesting read, keep it coming.....
We did the southwest trip (from Chicago) 5 states for 18 days .... 14 people no one got tired and turned around.....this year in July 18 days and 12 people, 7 bikes.......yes we have fun......

Old 02-07-2016, 01:18 PM
Hoser54
Advanced

Originally Posted by ROUNDHEAD
Oh well! That's the way it goes.

What was wrong with the bike?
The leaked was caused by a pinched o-ring o on the starter connecting to the engine. The check engine light, which was caused by a broken wire that caused the throttle position sensor to trip the check engine light.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: And then there were two.....