Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

And then there were two.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 02:15 PM
Hoser54
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Day 6
Pete and Jim go off on another excellent adventure while Russ and I try to finally get his new bike taken care of.
Pete and Jim go west out of Gunnison and go through the Black Canyon of the Gunnison

Then they see this sign:

Now they have both noticed a lot of cow pies on the road and as they go around a corner they run into a cattle drive

They kept going

and found some cool water falls

Meanwhile Russ and I make our way to Montrose where the HOG road book says there is a Harley dealership.

While at the Falls Jim starts to notice that his bike smells kinda funky.

Must not have dodged all of the cow pies!!

Just outside Gunnison

Unfortunately the shop in Montrose was closed so we had to go to Grand Junction. The dealer was great there. The found that the leaked was caused by a pinched o-ring o on the starter connecting to the engine. The check engine light, which was caused by a broken wire that caused the throttle position sensor to trip the check engine light. Finally all bikes are running perfectly and we are off to meet the others in Aspen now so all is right in the world. I'm thinking we will all finally be able to finish the ride together. Pete and Jim are a lot of fun to be around so I'm looking forward to all of us finishing the trip together. We finally meet up at Woodys Tavern just outside Aspen and the owner set us up in Snowmass village at the Silver Tree Hotel for $77 a night. Great hotel nice room nice bars within walking distance so we put the bikes away and it is off for a swim and some food. The one thing that the desk told us was that there no air conditioners in any of the rooms. That was alright as it was nice and cool at night.

This is why I love traveling by motorcycle you meet great people that go out of their way to make you comfortable.
The room even came with Robes!!!

So we go down to the pool and hot tub and relax, then on to Snowmass village where we tried to drink the bar dry. I don't remember much about the rest off the night but with Pete around I'm sure that it was fun.

Last edited by Hoser54; 02-07-2016 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:10 PM
Joe Mc
Banned
Received 230 Likes on 117 Posts

Nice job Mike I'm enjoying it.
Just finished your Glacier N.P. report. I attempted to go there in September 2015, same month as you went, and the Beartooth and Going to Sun roads were closed due to snow.#!@^&*(+%

Old 02-07-2016, 03:58 PM
Hoser54
Advanced

Originally Posted by Joe Mc
Nice job Mike I'm enjoying it.
Just finished your Glacier N.P. report. I attempted to go there in September 2015, same month as you went, and the Beartooth and Going to Sun roads were closed due to snow.#!@^&*(+%
I know, Ive tried in early September in '14 & '15 and the road was closed. In 2014 we were one day away from getting snowed in in Red Lodge for some time. We eventually went south into Laramie and got stuck there for a few days. The polar vortex came down from the north and the remnants of a pacific hurricane from the south met right on top of us. I had a very scary ride over Sherman Pass in Wy. trying to get home.

Old 02-07-2016, 04:31 PM
jdw1
Road Captain
Received 129 Likes on 86 Posts

Subscribing!

It is really had to find people to ride with for any length of time!
Everyone just wants something differant, and that's ok.
I lead a few people on a day trip two years ago, at 3 in the afternoon I asked, " does anyone need to be home at any special time?" No no nope, ok here we go, off we went. After 4 more hours of back roading in Wisconsin everyone was kinda pissy because we where still 100 miles from home, I said you should have spoke up at 3pm!!!!!! It just floors me! ��
My wife and I do regular day rides of 400+, just sayin!

Great read, keep'em coming!

Last edited by jdw1; 02-07-2016 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 04:38 PM
glider11
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Great RR

Thanks for sharing Mike I am enjoying. I am a part time adv guy too. Three of us from RFD L413 rode the COBDR last summer. We were on and off the trail through a lot of the same towns.

Old 02-07-2016, 05:03 PM
uplandpinter
Road Captain
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jdw1
Subscribing!

It is really had to find people to ride with for any length of time!
Everyone just wants something differant, and that's ok.
I lead a few people on a day trip two years ago, at 3 in the afternoon I asked, " does anyone need to be home at any special time?" No no nope, ok here we go, off we went. After 4 more hours of back roading in Wisconsin everyone was kinda pissy because we where still 100 miles from home, I said you should have spoke up at 3pm!!!!!! It just floors me! ��
My wife and I do regular day rides of 400+, just sayin!

Great read, keep'em coming!
Hey Jeff,
Let me know my wife and I will go for a 400mi ride any time. Tomorrow doesn't look good though.

Old 02-07-2016, 05:11 PM
jdw1
Road Captain
Received 129 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by uplandpinter
Hey Jeff,
Let me know my wife and I will go for a 400mi ride any time. Tomorrow doesn't look good though.
Your on Brad! Lol.

Old 02-07-2016, 05:27 PM
SWMB
Road Warrior
Received 776 Likes on 499 Posts

I'm really enjoying the read keep it up.

Old 02-07-2016, 06:28 PM
jay72
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Subscribed. You should try coming east.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:04 PM
Hoser54
Advanced

Originally Posted by glider11
Thanks for sharing Mike I am enjoying. I am a part time adv guy too. Three of us from RFD L413 rode the COBDR last summer. We were on and off the trail through a lot of the same towns.
Are any of you guys part of Fire & Iron?

Quick Reply: And then there were two.....