Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Help me choose a Sturgis campground

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 04:40 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Stayed at several places and I have to give my vote to ( don't forget that I'm an old man now ) Creekside on the east end of town out where the Throttle use to be. Super clean facilities and great people.

http://www.creeksidesturgis.com/
Quiet time is 10 PM there!

Old 02-06-2016, 05:00 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,790 Likes on 18,560 Posts

Originally Posted by From_Behind
Quiet time is 10 PM there!
Uh ... yep! :>)

Old 02-06-2016, 06:31 PM
trnewman
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks all for the input. Right now I'm leaning towards Glencoe with at least one concert at the chip (maybe Kid Rock?) and visit the Broken Spoke pool. I'll try to experience as much as possible including the riding!

Old 02-06-2016, 07:00 PM
jack6hd
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glencoe has a "Motorcycle Only Area". It has lots of shade and only tent campers. I rode out by myself and met lots of good people. I won't consider staying anywhere else.

Old 02-06-2016, 07:30 PM
trnewman
Tourer

Originally Posted by jack6hd
Glencoe has a "Motorcycle Only Area". It has lots of shade and only tent campers. I rode out by myself and met lots of good people. I won't consider staying anywhere else.
That's encouraging since I'll be most likely solo too.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:04 PM
DGDeuce
Club Member
Received 5,316 Likes on 2,200 Posts

Went out solo in 2013. Shade Valley has a great bar and nice clean shower facilities and a decent breakfast and dinner. Your tent can be far enough away for a quiet sleep. Shade Valley is located about 5 miles past the Chip. In 2015 I stayed at Bulldog Campground which is about 5 miles before the first Sturgis exit. Food wasn't as good and the showers were a farther walk but it was less expensive and I didn't have to get through Sturgis to get there. Have fun.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:17 PM
Backwoods64
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out Hog Heaven. It is located right off the interstate and is close to main street, the motocross and short track. Ya can also cut through Sturgis the back way from there and avoid the hour long traffic jams on Lazelle and main street to get to the other side of Sturgis. ie to get to buffalo chip, full throttle saloon(when it was there.) glencoe campground ect... they have a lot of trees, decent food and good bath facilities. That's where i'll stay if I go this year. It's laid back but a lot of fun.

Old 02-06-2016, 10:27 PM
trnewman
Tourer

Originally Posted by Backwoods64
Check out Hog Heaven. It is located right off the interstate and is close to main street, the motocross and short track. Ya can also cut through Sturgis the back way from there and avoid the hour long traffic jams on Lazelle and main street to get to the other side of Sturgis. ie to get to buffalo chip, full throttle saloon(when it was there.) glencoe campground ect... they have a lot of trees, decent food and good bath facilities. That's where i'll stay if I go this year. It's laid back but a lot of fun.
I've read good things about Hog Heaven. Can anyone comment on the shower/bathroom facilities at Glencoe?

Old 02-06-2016, 10:34 PM
Backwoods64
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

was at glencoe 2 yrs ago. showers are not that great? but it's sturgis! who needs a shower anyway??

Old 02-07-2016, 05:46 AM
harleyhusker
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Glencoe has nice unisex bathrooms in the pavilion. Each morning I go there to charge up my cell phone and have my free coffee for the day. They are flushing toilets and they are very clean.

The showers are average at best. That is the one area I think they could improve for sure.

Quick Reply: Help me choose a Sturgis campground