Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Help me choose a Sturgis campground

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 05:04 PM
mo cajun
Road Captain
Received 134 Likes on 83 Posts

Been camping till three years ago and out of all the camping I got hooked on Shade Valley, cleanest shower house ever and never a far walk
Chip would be great if they got the shower house and port a potie issue cleaned up. Smells like a pig farm after a few days of hot weather

Old 02-08-2016, 11:10 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I like to camp inexpensively. So for 14 years I have stayed at Elkview Campgrounds off exit 37 on I-90.

It was $16 per person per day for advance registration for the 75th. No one came close to that price. No minimum stay requirements.

Not many partiers there. Nice facilities. The pavilion has a bar and food service and light entertainment. Close to Sturgis. What more is there?

The following users liked this post:
huskybiker (03-29-2018)
Old 02-09-2016, 07:06 PM
nibroc
Road Warrior
Received 211 Likes on 158 Posts

teachouts back 40 @ elk creek exit 46

Old 02-11-2016, 05:23 PM
KyBourbon
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I stayed at Glencoe for the 69th. Stayed in a tent, arrived day the rally started and had no problems finding shade. There was breakfast in the mornings and a few food truck type vendors at night.

The party scene was great of course. Met lots of cool people and never met anyone who wasn't friendly.

As far as bathrooms and showers they were fine. Showers were average and honestly above what I expected for 1000s of people using them daily. Usually around 8am when I showered there weren't too many people and always had hot water. Bathrooms were cleaned daily, no smells or anything nasty the whole week I was there. Would absolutely stay again.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:56 AM
trnewman
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KyBourbon
I stayed at Glencoe for the 69th. Stayed in a tent, arrived day the rally started and had no problems finding shade. There was breakfast in the mornings and a few food truck type vendors at night.

The party scene was great of course. Met lots of cool people and never met anyone who wasn't friendly.

As far as bathrooms and showers they were fine. Showers were average and honestly above what I expected for 1000s of people using them daily. Usually around 8am when I showered there weren't too many people and always had hot water. Bathrooms were cleaned daily, no smells or anything nasty the whole week I was there. Would absolutely stay again.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to go with Glencoe.

Old 02-12-2016, 02:18 PM
harleyhusker
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I would order your wristband now. The price will keep going up.

We will have to have a beer at Glencoe. The first weekend is the best three nights for the alley. If you can be there Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights the alley will be packed.

See you there.

Old 02-12-2016, 02:21 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 69,955 Likes on 21,313 Posts

Originally Posted by trnewman
I am a Sturgis virgin...planning on riding from Maryland solo. My wife may fly in to Rapid City for a few days but not sure, anyway I have it narrowed down to the following 3. Any insight on my research or advice would be much appreciated. I want to order my week pass soon before prices rise.

1) Broken Spoke: Nice pool, bar and free concerts. Not sure of the quality of bands they will have. The price is right and I would also rent a picnic shelter (covered concrete slab) that I could park bike under at night. Farther out of Sturgis than the other 2. No shade, but plan on riding all day and then park bike and party.

2) Buffalo Chip: Has pretty much anything you need right there. Pricey but the quality of concerts could be good (Kid Rock and Miranda Lambert have booked for 2016). Bikini beach sounds cool. How crowded does that campground get? Is it a mud pit by mid-week?

3) Glencoe: The Cadillac of partying. Lots of adult fun. Not sure of musical entertainment on the premises. Price is right also.

Note: I will be in a tent so would like to be in a grassy area, not muddy. I like to party, not too hard but I plan on parking the bike at night. Would be nice to have a place on-site that serves breakfast and clean bathrooms/showers. All 3 are on Da Bus route (I think). Thanks in advance
Don't sweat it dude!!!
Sheesh...
Just go and figure it out when you get there.
Not real complicated @ all.
Really.

Old 02-16-2016, 03:48 PM
Sam Williams
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I give spearfish KOA a thumbs up for tent camping, clean showers, food and quite nights for sleeping and only 20 miles away from Sturgis. good launch point for good riding too.

Old 02-16-2016, 04:15 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

We always stay at Hog Heaven as well. Cheap, clean bathrooms and showers, laundry, breakfast/lunch/dinner snack bar, band at night and on the "Da Bus" route. Our first time at Sturgis we went out a couple nights but to hit all the sites and enjoy the riding we came back smoked and just relaxed and went to bed early so we could head out early the next day. The location is great to go anywhere. Most of the sites are a ways out and with all the bikes it takes a little longer to get to each. Bring plenty of extra money!

Old 03-09-2018, 02:25 PM
RLeeRoat
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Camp In Sturgis

locals post signs in yards all over town. Usually 10$ a night per person. I have never seen a street without a sign in a yard all rally long. In 30 years I’ve never stayed in a campground.

Quick Reply: Help me choose a Sturgis campground