Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

New York Roads

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 05:22 PM
08ElectraNY
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New York Roads

So I just bought my first bagger and I've been looking at road trips. I'm starting in the syracuse area and I'd like to go every direction that I can but I've been making a few. Some to the Potsdam area and another to Rochester and a final one to Watkins Glen. Are there any roads or other routes that people like in upstate? I'm planning on taking route 3 and route 11 to the up north area but I'm not sure of any other routes that would be liked in any other part of the state. The idea I'd like to do is avoid most highways, and go on backroads.

Thanks for any suggestions. New York Roads-20160109_140826.jpg

Old 02-06-2016, 06:14 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,411 Posts

You are one fortunate fellow. I grew up in New York and learned to ride there but it has been many years since I've ridden the roads of upstate New York. What I remember is that no matter in what direction from Syracuse you go, you are going to have many, many choices regarding beautiful and bucolic two lane roads. So enjoy your new bagger and I'm sure you'll get some specific suggestions from those closer to you. But in the end, you can't go wrong with any two lane road in your neck of the woods.

Old 02-06-2016, 06:23 PM
BigWaterJim
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 127 Posts

28 across the Adirondacks is awesome.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:13 PM
DGDeuce
Club Member
Received 5,315 Likes on 2,199 Posts

Let's see, rt 20 in either direction. Rt 80 east start in Tully and stop in Cooperstown. Don't remember the roads but try visiting Hammondsport and go to the Glenn Curtis museum. Try rt 13 from Cortland northwards. It ends at rt 3 in Pulaski.

Old 02-07-2016, 10:04 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 126 Posts

I'm with Michael Psycle ---- Pick a 2-lane road up there, and it's probably a nice ride. I live in Wellsboro PA, down near the Grand Canyon, and I know upstate NY roads too. A fun way to do it is to pick out something to do or see --- like Letchworth State Park, or as you mentioned, Watkins Glen. Then pick a few roads that lead to it, and you'll have a nice ride. For Watkins Glen, go down 414 on the east side of the lake, and go back up on 14 on the west side of the lake. Stop at Sodus Point for lunch at the edge of the lake. Get a few people together, and ride the mountain coaster down at Greek Peak. A few of us have done it a few times. Had a blast. (They have a zip line too.) Then stuff like Taughannock Falls down near Ithaca. I'm just saying it's fun when you have a sightseeing-type destination, or something to do along the way. Of course there's always the stop for a burger somewhere too! Nice ride down this way to see the Grand Canyon of PA. Maybe a 3 hour non-stop drive from Syr. Also Kinzua Bridge. Stuff like that. Long daytrip, but a fun ride. Pick a road. It's probably a great ride!

Old 02-08-2016, 10:56 AM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,496 Likes on 808 Posts

The only 2 things I miss about Syracuse [been gone 30 years] is the food and riding.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:26 AM
HardRider1
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

I have to agree with the beautiful roads in upstate NY, rode from the Detroit area last summer, spent a couple of weeks riding Upstate, NH, Maine, Vermont and Connecticut, even had a chance to visit Laconia about a wk before the big rally. So many beautiful town and villages along the way in pristine condition, many like stepping back a century. Passed North of Albany on 7 heading east, there sure were some very large estates along there, the nice thing is very lightly traveled. Ithaca NY, wow that is one hilly place, the wife wanted to see the falls there, I have to say there are some road in that town with some serious grade to them.

Would love to head back that way but I think I am going West next trip would love to see Montana, ND and Wyoming this year, I am thinking of going up over the Mighty Mac into the UP and then West from there across Wisconsin.

But yes any road I was on in Upstate NY was very nice, coming into Watkins Glen along 414 was spectacular a real memorable road that is for sure.

Old 02-08-2016, 12:02 PM
iRider
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 1,384 Likes on 814 Posts

Route 104/Seaway Express-Highway up and around Lake Ontario is a nice ride.

Route 20 in Western NY is nice between Buffalo and Erie, PA

Old 02-08-2016, 10:48 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,411 Posts

It's a bit distant from Syracuse but I am partial to the Catskill Mountains. I spent a couple of months every summer growing up in Sullivan County near Liberty, NY. You should include this area in a multi day ride. There is Route 17 which is 4 lane and beautiful. And then there are two levels of two lane roads, the bigger ones with lane divider lines down the middle of the road, and then all the barely marked smaller two lane roads. This is where the fun is. It's slow going but scenic and you can get to stop a lot, talk with the local people and get a sense of the area's beauty.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:38 AM
zeke383
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Nice views and scenery are easy to find, good quality roads not so much.
You could pick any Finger Lake and ride the perimeter.
A nice day ride for you would be to head south on 11 to 20/80, take 80 to Cooperstown, stay on 80 to where it heads north and meets 20. Take 20 east heading towards home.
I'm 20-30min from you, if you need anything, hit me up.

Quick Reply: New York Roads