Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Big Trip 2016

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 02:52 AM
Nelson21again
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks everyone for your resonses - some nice suggestions. We fly into Atlanta on 20th May and I expect the first week getting to Albequerque will be nice and warm, but I'm not sure if all the passes in the southern rockies will beopen the first week in June? How's it looking? By week 3 of the 6 we'll be in Yellowstone so hopefully by then all will be clear. We'll hit the Beartooth Pass early in week 4, so third week of June. A friend of mine who has business in Houston is planning on joining us on something Japanese (not an HD rider despite my efforts!) He'll join us in Albequerque and take the bike back to Denver (Eagle Rider I think) At least he'll see the Black Canyon and the Million Dollar Highway, plus hopefull the Rocky Mountain Scenic Byway. Can't wait!

Old 04-20-2016, 03:03 AM
Nelson21again
Novice

Thanks eveyone for your suggestions - it's only 5 weeks to our departure date and the excitement is mounting! Bags aren't quite packed yet, but I've found our first overnight stop at the Rattlesnake Saloon in Tuscumbia AL. Then off to Memphis for my friend's homage to the King, then up to Eureka Springs/Mountain Home AR. We'll head for Albequerque then up to Sata Fe and Madrid, Durango, Million Dollar Highway, and off to meet some English friends at Pike's Peak. Somehow we'll get to Jackson WY, visit Yellowstone again, Cody for the Beartooth, Red Lodge, Billings, Down to Big Horns, Shell Canyon and Tensleep Canyon, off to Black Hills for a week of riding, then decision time - how to get back to Atlanta. I like the sugestion of Milwaukee and down to the Smokies. We look forward to seeing a lot more of your wonderful country!

Old 04-21-2016, 05:08 PM
mike in dallas
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

We also will be in Yellowstone the 3rd week of june.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:09 PM
Dmdrone
Cruiser
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Sounds like a cool trip

Old 04-22-2016, 10:17 AM
Rocker NH
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,022 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Originally Posted by djohn
You might want to consider dropping further south out of the Black Hills and cross southern Missouri or northern Arkansas and then across into Tennessee and pick up the Smokey Mountains. The Ozarks in MO/AR are really nice.

I totally agree with this. I,ve traveled across the country many times ,and this route would highly favor a bike trip---nothing against the other suggestions--just my experience of west to east traveling

Old 04-23-2016, 09:14 PM
glide5904
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 16 Ultra Al
Milwaukee is not that big, head north through upper Michigan and cross the Mackinac bridge after the Milwaukee stop. Head south through the tunnel of trees in lower Michigan, M19 I believe. This will help by pass Chicago and the views are great!!
^^^This is a great suggestion. The tunnel of trees (M119) is a must see and don't forget to stop into the Leggs Inn at the end of the tunnel of trees.

Old 04-24-2016, 02:24 PM
desertclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jay72
There is a place in New Mexico that is on my bucket list. It's a little north east of Santa Fe. https://www.vietnamveteransmemorial.org Angel Fire, New Mexico. Built by a father for his son.
Ride the Enchanted Circle out of Taos, NM and you will see a lot of great country.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:17 PM
dnespolo
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jay72
There is a place in New Mexico that is on my bucket list. It's a little north east of Santa Fe. https://www.vietnamveteransmemorial.org Angel Fire, New Mexico. Built by a father for his son.
He can go from Santa Fe' to Taos to Angel Fire check the memorial, from there back to Questa trough Red River and up to Colorado.

Actually that would be a pretty ride.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:38 AM
Nelson21again
Novice
Default Big trip 2016

Well, the trip went well. 8200 miles in 6 weeks. On 6th June we were in Estes Park CO - you may have seen this on national news - hailstones built up to 6" deep in places and the rain over the high plains too hard to ride in! As well as the hail we had gale force winds, searing heat, freezing cold and everything in between, but enjoyed every minute. From Atlanta we headed to the Ozarks via Memphis, as far west at Albequerque NM via Tulsa and along Route 66, then up through Santa Fe, Durango and eventually Wyoming, Montana, then across to SD. Ender up at the HD plant in York PA for a tour on the last day of 2016 production. Down to Gettysburg, full length of Shenandoah Valley, BRP and a few days in the Smokies, before heading back to Atlanta and home to UK. In 2017 we hope to go back to NC and stay at the Iron Horse bikers campsite for a few days as we like the area so much.
Bike safe
Nelson

The following 2 users liked this post by Nelson21again:
glide5904 (02-28-2017), Mikey 1450 (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 07:45 AM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Sorry, I did not read the did not read to date of your first post.

Last edited by Mikey 1450; 03-01-2017 at 01:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Big Trip 2016