Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

LOoooong awaited....

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 11:32 PM
mykaos
Advanced
Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts
Default LOoooong awaited....

The basic plan:
Depart PM Friday, 4-22-16.
Phoenix to Perris CA where I'm thinking about grabbing Hwy 74 to Dana Point CA, catch 1 and head north up thru San Francisco, cross the Golden Gate by Sun PM, 4-24, avoiding the Bay area weekday traffic. Continuing north, following the coast via PCH and 101 all the way up into WA, "thinking" Olympia. From there to Spokane to see my sister for a day or 2 (plus she wants to go for a ride on her "little" brothers Harley). From Spokane, have not really come w/ a definite plan for heading back south. What I do know, is I need to be back to work, here in the Phoenix area, Monday morning 5-9.
Open for route, lodging, eatin suggestions or anything else.......I'm a pretty basic traveler... As long as it does not involve a tent but is clean, reasonably secure, hot shower and a bed, I'm good.
I'll be by myself.

Old 03-17-2016, 01:32 AM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,409 Posts

If you have any questions about the San Francisco Bay Area or the roads around here, ask away.

The following users liked this post:
mykaos (03-17-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 01:46 AM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

I've been across the Golden Gate Bridge several times on my bike. That's one huge bridge. I hope you get a clear day. Good Luck.

mykaos (03-17-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 07:16 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I would go around LA (ya can easily spend most of a day getting through there) and hit 1 no lower than Malibu maybe even Morro Bay.

mykaos (03-17-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 09:56 AM
mykaos
Advanced

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
I would go around LA (ya can easily spend most of a day getting through there) and hit 1 no lower than Malibu maybe even Morro Bay.
Thank you. I actually like the idea of Morro Bay. Lets me tie in heading out thru Kingman (my house and daughter are there) and across Tehachapi, then 58 all the way across, then in /out of the bay area by Sunday night...That being said, been in / out /around the LA "area" many times over the last 18 years hauling equipment. Always have liked the Port Hueneme / Channel Islands area.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:40 AM
mykaos
Advanced

Originally Posted by Michael Psycle
If you have any questions about the San Francisco Bay Area or the roads around here, ask away.
The "plan" so far is: get within "striking distance of the Bay area (Santa Cruz at a minimum) by Saturday night. I'm "figuring" I should be able to see "some" of San Francisco and get across the Golden Gate and up into the Petaluma "area" by end of Sunday????
I've been to Pittsburgh, San Leandro, Vallejo areas. I've figured out traffic isn't to bad if in the middle of the night or middle of the day...anyway, just trying to determine best timing in and routing so I can spend less time worrying about getting run over and more time enjoying places I normally don't get the chance to see.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:44 AM
mykaos
Advanced

I'll add: the 2 big pushes I'm figuring are clearing the Bay area by Sunday night and if I decide to drop down through NV on 95 on the way back, we'll just say that part will be done at quite a bit of gas consumption...in between those, no hurry..

Old 03-17-2016, 01:58 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,284 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Spokane to Missoula is my favorite interstate highway ride. From Missoula head south to Salmon ID and wind your way south to Ketchum and Twin Falls. Take the interstate to Payson UT, south of Salt Lake and ride Mt. Nebo. Take 132 to Moroni, 89 to Gunnison, 28 to 24 to 12 and visit Bryce canyon.

So many great ways to get back home

mykaos (03-17-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 03:44 PM
mykaos
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vernal
Spokane to Missoula is my favorite interstate highway ride. From Missoula head south to Salmon ID and wind your way south to Ketchum and Twin Falls. Take the interstate to Payson UT, south of Salt Lake and ride Mt. Nebo. Take 132 to Moroni, 89 to Gunnison, 28 to 24 to 12 and visit Bryce canyon.

So many great ways to get back home
Outstanding idea I had not given much thought to until now. I've always enjoyed UT. Doing it on 2 wheels rather than 58...awesome. Getting to see extended family in SLC and Vernal would be a bonus...

Last edited by mykaos; 03-17-2016 at 03:48 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:16 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,284 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by mykaos
Outstanding idea I had not given much thought to until now. I've always enjoyed UT. Doing it on 2 wheels rather than 58...awesome. Getting to see extended family in SLC and Vernal would be a bonus...
If you get to Vernal Look me up
Bill Siersma

mykaos (03-18-2016)

Quick Reply: LOoooong awaited....