Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Advice for PCH ride.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 09:51 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

One thing about the Coast, you aren't in a hurry to get anywhere fast. One of the things I do, is pack up first thing in the morning, and look for the first cool looking restaurant to have breakfast in. There are some in every little town.

And the lighthouses .... One i Like to visit is Yaquina. A small admission to get in, and climb the lighthouse, but worth it.

Another great place to watch a sunset for when you are in Crescent city, and make sure you give yourself a couple of days here, mostly to viist the Giants, is at the very west end of town, in a little park at the end of West 8th. I know you guys are going to love this run, and can hardly wait, so here is a little appetizer. I took this Pict at that place.

The following users liked this post:
94ruck (05-25-2016)
Old 05-21-2016, 01:30 PM
Randy Mac
Tourer
Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

The town itself isn't much, however Crescent City has lots of beautiful coastline, with the Redwood forest to the East and South. The weather can be iffy, check ahead and plan for it. Fog, rain and fairweather gales are common.
Battery Point Light from the Brother Jonathan Overlook.

Endert's Beach Overlook, south of CC, off an old piece off US 101.

CC Harbor

Old 05-25-2016, 05:28 AM
94ruck
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

As you can tell, RWC and I are very excited about this trip. We have traveled many miles together and our families fit with each other very well. As the somewhat leader of the last trip, i did a poor job of allowing for time to do exactly the things you guys have shown us on this trip. Sunsets, breakfasts, side trips, big trees, gravel roads are all on our itinerary now! i cannot thanks you guys enough for helping us plan. My wife has expressed wanting to climb a light house and wants to enjoy the ocean views.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:01 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

So, here I am, in Seaside on the Oregon coast. You inspired me! From my room.

Lucked out big time. Pulled over on the side of the highway and found a $250 room for $40 on Bookings. Pretty sure that is a tent site at a KOA!

I could have got a room on the top floor, but I could back my Glide up to the door and off load right into the room.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:26 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,967 Likes on 1,413 Posts

Nice!

Old 06-09-2016, 09:45 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Dinner View.

Old 06-10-2016, 05:42 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,924 Likes on 2,566 Posts

We were in Seaside in August last year when we rode the Oregon coast, nice little town, good seafood. I recognized that concrete railing and sidewalk immediately. Enjoy and stay safe.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:30 AM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member

I hit a major traffic jam in Seaside once. I was headed south on the PCH. It was late in the afternoon on a holiday weekend. There are very few traffic lights in town but everyone must stop for pedestrians. There was a steady stream of pedestrians leaving the beach, causing traffic to be at a standstill. Lane splitting was not legal in Oregon (that has since been changed), so we crept along. Our motel was at the south end of town. Eventually we cut onto some side streets and made it to our motel, but it was quite a slog.

Old 06-10-2016, 05:26 PM
crtman21
Road Captain
Received 228 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 94ruck
We are looking to rent bikes in Portland and ride to San Francisco. This would be a 6-7 day ride with plenty of sight seeing. We did a killer ride last year around the south east states but made the mistake of too much riding and too little vacationing. I have rented through Eagle rider before and they expect a 495 dollar fee per bike for a point to point ride. We do get HOG and AMA discounts to it isn't that big of deal. better than trying to get our bikes out there and back in 9 days.
I want to see the red wood forest and enjoy the while my buddy and his wife would like to explore and end up in San fran for a day without bikes. we plan to do this stage this year and hitting San fran to mexico in the future.
Looking at first week of august at this point.
In pre planning mode...
I just did this ride from Ventura north to just above Santa Cruz. It was amazing. I'm new to riding and hadn't been on a "road trip" until that trip.

If you, can I HIGHLY recommend trying to hit the Santa Cruz mountains. It's only about an hour south of SF, but well worth the trip. Lots of redwoods too. Just to the east of Hwy 1 along the coast you is Hwy 35 or Skyline Blvd. It's called that for a reason. Once you get to the top, you can see all the way to the coast in practically every direction. Nice windy roads with sweeping curves. Along that road is this place, http://www.alicesrestaurant.com/, 17288 Skyline Blvd, Woodside, CA, United States. AMAZING....and a great stopping point I found out for motorcyclists from all over and with every kind of bike. (great bloody mary's as well).

Well I put my two cents in. If you don't make it on this trip, try in on your way down south. Once you head south, you've got to stop in this great quaint little town called Cayucos. It's a little south of San Simeon.

Safe Travels.

Old 06-10-2016, 05:48 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member

The intersection of Highway 35 (Skyline) and Highway 84 is where Alice's is located. It is also the big biker hang out on the San Francisco Peninsula. It is mostly busy with bikers on weekend mornings and early afternoons though there might be bikers there at any time. And eating a meal at Alice's on the deck under all those redwoods is always a pleasure.

Quick Reply: Advice for PCH ride.