Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Mississippi trip this summer, Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 09:35 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

Yep I would take the Trace from Natchez to Nashville. Once your in Nashville it's a short jump to the Smokies. August will be the hottest month with temps likely in the mid 90s and high humidity. For me that's another reason to take the trace, most of its is tree lined so it's going to be your best bet for riding in the shade to beat the MS Aug heat. The trace pretty much runs the middle of the state which makes it easy to jump off and hit any small towns/attractions

You may find this link helpful as they usually have biker events around the central MS area listed
http://bikeevents.weebly.com

Last edited by Mxdad; 03-28-2016 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:19 AM
ROUNDHEAD
Road Master
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

Was thinking about your trip today, heat index around 110.

Damn, I wish this crap would move on out. Looks like we are going to need a huricane to blow the heat dome off us.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:17 AM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

Windsor ruins are a small detour off the trace... you have seen pics and in movies maybe. Some of the small towns along the Miss are full of old buildings if that's your thing. Trace is not so enticing if you don't like the history stops...imuo. I love it and love the stops along the trace and Vicksburg. Longwood house is great to see in Natchez, even if you skip the tour.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:48 PM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 308 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by ROUNDHEAD
Was thinking about your trip today, heat index around 110.

Damn, I wish this crap would move on out. Looks like we are going to need a huricane to blow the heat dome off us.
Yep. Riding today and hit the info button and it said the temp was 100. It was hot.

Old 07-23-2016, 06:56 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

No doubt the last couple of weeks have been August hot here in MS. 95-100 degrees with heat index of 110 just about every day. I have however been spending more time than normal on rides on the Natchez Trace just to escape the heat. While it is still hot as hell at least on the Trace the trees provide shade on the road a big part of the time. The worst part about the last week or so has been these pop up rain storms that last about a 10 minutes then it feels like you are riding in a sauna.
On the other hand I will put up with the heat in exchange for being able to ride 12 months of the year

Old 07-25-2016, 08:14 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 433 Likes on 260 Posts

If you have any interest in the Civil War, try and get thru Franklin, just south of Nashville. Best site I've ever seen to convey what actually happens during and after an horrific battle. Bullet holes and bloodstains still visible, not to mention one huge private Confederate cemetery. So many shots fired you can buy a souvenir bullet... We toured a huge counterclockwise loop from Memphis to Nashville a couple years ago, through Arkansas, into Missouri, across Mississippi and up to Nashville from Alabama. A trip I'll never forget...

Old 07-29-2016, 04:29 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,491 Likes on 1,603 Posts

If you start at then north end of the Trace, be sure to stop for breakfast at the Loveless Café.
FWIW the Trace is a bland ride in comparison to the Skyline Drive or the Blue Ridge Parkway as it is flatter but it has a calming effect and is a much easier ride.
I spent my first night just outside of Nashville in a motel near Belle Meade and met up with some relatives for the ride south.
We met some other relatives at the Loveless Café for breakfast and then traveled at a very slow pace and enjoyed the solitude of the two-lane road.
We got fuel, had a snack and chatted with the locals in Collinwood, TN (just north of the AL border) and spent the first night in Tupelo and our second night near Jackson, MS.
Lots of history here for those who may be interested so be sure to do your homework before you go so you will know how to plan your trip and where you need to stop and look.
This was the third time I traveled the Trace and we decided to head north once we got to Port Gibson.
We wanted to visit Graceland (in Memphis) so we took the shortest route which took us through Cleveland, MS.
We stopped for lunch at the "Country Platter" and they have some absolutely delicious, southern style "soul" foods that you should not miss out on!!!