Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Must-Ride/See on Cross Country Trip (ME, VT, NH, NY, MN, SD, WY, MT, ID, WA)

Old 04-26-2016, 08:32 PM
Doc V
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
How do you get from NY to Mn. I think there are a few States to cross first?
No offense to Ohio, but I have no desire to ride the Cleveland / Toledo stretch. I've driven it many times, and ridden through central Ohio. I plan to go through Canada to the upper peninsula, probably cross on US 81 and work my way up through Sudbury. Will be sorry to miss lower Michigan. Not my thread, but suggestions appreciated.

Cheers,
Doc

Last edited by Doc V; 04-26-2016 at 08:41 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:26 PM
nickthecanuck
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc V
No offense to Ohio, but I have no desire to ride the Cleveland / Toledo stretch. I've driven it many times, and ridden through central Ohio. I plan to go through Canada to the upper peninsula, probably cross on US 81 and work my way up through Sudbury. Will be sorry to miss lower Michigan. Not my thread, but suggestions appreciated.

Cheers,
Doc
Hey Doc, been changing my plans up lots so I have tons of route options, but if you're going through Ontario I think a couple places to hit are Calabogie road (aka centennial lake road) and highway 141 across to Rosseau. All
those little highways South of Algonquin park sound like great riding according to people I've talked to.

The following users liked this post:
Doc V (05-01-2016)
Old 04-30-2016, 10:05 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

We're planning a similar ride from WI west (and back) in August. We were thinking Hwy 2 to Going to the Sun (which I know you will skip) and then on to Hwy 20 to the coast. Keeping it pretty simple so far but looking forward to see what kind of intel you gather here.

As far as Wisconsin, Ron750s route is a very good one. The only thing I would possibly add is from 55 in Shawano I would head south on 187 to Shiocton. There's a couple biker friendly places to eat in Shiocton and some of 187 runs along the Wolf River. But, that takes you away from Doc's, which is a good stop for lunch (there's also a pretty cool museum). I guess it depends on your timing. Anyway, from Shiocton I would head south on any route to Milw.

The other option is to head south on the Mac, do the Tunnel of Trees, down 31 to Traverse City, then up M-22 and around to Sleeping Bear and down again. That is all very, very scenic, and imo, a little nicer than the WI side. Continue on M-22 to Manistee and then 31 down to Muskegon to take the High Speed Ferry. A little spendy but it's the fast way to Milw from that part of MI by a lot and you avoid Chicago. Once off the boat you are basically at the HD Museum.

From there west you have many options. I would recommend a bee-line to Madison and then NW to the river. Lots of very scenic options there as well. Google search Merrimac Ferry, Devils Lake, Wildcat Mtn. Take 33 to La Crosse and jump over to MN and take 14/61 up to whatever route west you choose.

Know this, Milwaukee is probably taking you 2 days off your original route. It will be a very nice 2 days, but that may be 2 days less that you have to spend out around the Continental divide and west. As much as I like the routes I described, they can't compare to the "bigness" of being out West.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:37 PM
nickthecanuck
Cruiser

Originally Posted by nevada72
We're planning a similar ride from WI west (and back) in August. We were thinking Hwy 2 to Going to the Sun (which I know you will skip) and then on to Hwy 20 to the coast. Keeping it pretty simple so far but looking forward to see what kind of intel you gather here.

Know this, Milwaukee is probably taking you 2 days off your original route. It will be a very nice 2 days, but that may be 2 days less that you have to spend out around the Continental divide and west. As much as I like the routes I described, they can't compare to the "bigness" of being out West.
Thanks for all the advice. Milwaukee is kind of what I'm having a hard time with, because I've already got a couple days planned in Black Hills and a couple days for Beartooth Pass/Chief Joseph/Yellowstone. And now my plans have changed a LOT, partly because my Dad is planning to come with me (awesome!) and partly because I've got a brother moving to the eastern coast of Lake Huron, so that's an extra out of the way stop that wasn't in the original plan. Gotta be flexible I guess, and my old man would rather see Old Quebec than the New England stretch I'd planned, so there's plenty to be decided still.

As for your western trip, Highway 20 in Washington is supposed to be a great ride. I can't speak for Highway 2, but if you're a little flexible on time and routes, there are some incredible rides through southern BC I can suggest that would drop you off close to Hwy 20. Even hopping off Hwy 2 near Bonner's Ferry going north into Creston would put you pretty close to 3A along Kootenay Lake and 31A (Kaslo to New Denver), two of the best riding roads in BC.

Plenty more to ride from there if you're interested, let me know! The view coming West into Osoyoos along Hwy 3 is unbelievable as well if you come that way.

Old 05-01-2016, 08:10 AM
nevada72
Banned

Originally Posted by nickthecanuck
Thanks for all the advice. Milwaukee is kind of what I'm having a hard time with, because I've already got a couple days planned in Black Hills and a couple days for Beartooth Pass/Chief Joseph/Yellowstone. And now my plans have changed a LOT, partly because my Dad is planning to come with me (awesome!) and partly because I've got a brother moving to the eastern coast of Lake Huron, so that's an extra out of the way stop that wasn't in the original plan. Gotta be flexible I guess, and my old man would rather see Old Quebec than the New England stretch I'd planned, so there's plenty to be decided still.

As for your western trip, Highway 20 in Washington is supposed to be a great ride. I can't speak for Highway 2, but if you're a little flexible on time and routes, there are some incredible rides through southern BC I can suggest that would drop you off close to Hwy 20. Even hopping off Hwy 2 near Bonner's Ferry going north into Creston would put you pretty close to 3A along Kootenay Lake and 31A (Kaslo to New Denver), two of the best riding roads in BC.

Plenty more to ride from there if you're interested, let me know! The view coming West into Osoyoos along Hwy 3 is unbelievable as well if you come that way.
My advice is do Milwaukee only if you want to see the Museum. For some it's a pilgrimage. And don't get me wrong, the riding is very nice in MI and WI. We enjoy it immensely. But when you are heading that far west, imo you're better off focusing on those areas, especially if it keeps you on your route. I guess have to qualify that's the explorer in me though. I would rather ride a new road than a great familiar one.

I would definitely be open to other routes. We want to see the best North America has to offer. Our only real criteria is to do the Going to the Sun Hwy and spend a day or two in Whitefish with family. From there on to Seattle. At the end we'll do the Sea to Sky highway up to Whistler. I've done it before, but Cheryl hasn't. We'll probably kick around in Vancouver for a day.

Last edited by nevada72; 05-01-2016 at 08:20 AM.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:40 AM
Doc V
Cruiser

Originally Posted by nickthecanuck
Hey Doc, been changing my plans up lots so I have tons of route options, but if you're going through Ontario I think a couple places to hit are Calabogie road (aka centennial lake road) and highway 141 across to Rosseau. All
those little highways South of Algonquin park sound like great riding according to people I've talked to.
Thanks! After some map searching, I'm thinking about dodging up to Kingston, Ontario and then follow the north shore of Lake Ontario (Ontario 2 and 401?), then come into Michigan and hug the east coast of Lake Huron on US 23. That looks pretty scenic.

Cheers,
Doc

Last edited by Doc V; 05-01-2016 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:00 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,744 Likes on 18,543 Posts

Take 402 outside of London. Come into Michigan via Sarnia. If you have the time, take 25 ( follow the lake around the thumb). It will take you to Bay City and I-75 or M-13 ... OR ... take I-69 across to I-75 then take US-23 ( Standish ) back to Lake Huron. A quick stop at the Keyhole ( in Mackinaw ) for a burger, then fill up the scooter and across the bridge you go. Inside lanes are "grates" ( a little pucker power ) and if a ship is passing under the bridge you really appreciate how much the bridge "sways" in the wind.

The following users liked this post:
Doc V (05-01-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 12:31 PM
Doc V
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Take 402 outside of London. Come into Michigan via Sarnia. If you have the time, take 25 ( follow the lake around the thumb). It will take you to Bay City and I-75 or M-13 ... OR ... take I-69 across to I-75 then take US-23 ( Standish ) back to Lake Huron. A quick stop at the Keyhole ( in Mackinaw ) for a burger, then fill up the scooter and across the bridge you go. Inside lanes are "grates" ( a little pucker power ) and if a ship is passing under the bridge you really appreciate how much the bridge "sways" in the wind.
Sounds cool, thanks!

Old 05-02-2016, 12:05 PM
nickthecanuck
Cruiser

Originally Posted by nevada72
My advice is do Milwaukee only if you want to see the Museum. For some it's a pilgrimage. And don't get me wrong, the riding is very nice in MI and WI. We enjoy it immensely. But when you are heading that far west, imo you're better off focusing on those areas, especially if it keeps you on your route. I guess have to qualify that's the explorer in me though. I would rather ride a new road than a great familiar one.

I would definitely be open to other routes. We want to see the best North America has to offer. Our only real criteria is to do the Going to the Sun Hwy and spend a day or two in Whitefish with family. From there on to Seattle. At the end we'll do the Sea to Sky highway up to Whistler. I've done it before, but Cheryl hasn't. We'll probably kick around in Vancouver for a day.
I'd consider going north from Whitefish to Elko and take the Crowsnest Pass (Hwy 3) west to Creston and ride some of the routes I mentioned earlier. Can recommend more from there if you decide to go that way, there are a ton of options.

Also, the Sea-to-Sky is great, now that you mention you're doing that, you're riding all the best routes near my house! If you have time, you really should think about taking Hwy 99 (Sea-to-Sky) north past Whistler, the best part doesn't even start until you're beyond Whistler! If you want to do a big loop, Ride Hwy 99 all the way to Lillooet (Pemberton to Lillooet is more of the best riding in BC), then take Hwy 12 from Lillooet to Lytton, which puts you right in the Fraser Canyon. You can take Highway 1 south from there through the Fraser Canyon all the way back to Vancouver. It's a bit of a jaunt (350 Miles) but it's a hell of a ride, apart from the boring last stretch of freeway from Hope to Vancouver.

If you don't have that much time, I'd at least ride Hwy 99 north from Whistler past Pemberton to Joffre Lakes Provincial Park, stop to walk the short trail to see the glacier, then turn around and head back. It's worth the trip if you like twisties, and it's maybe 40 miles from Whistler, probably take you 2-2.5 hours round trip. It's a fun climb from the river up to the park, lots of switchbacks and quite a grade.

Old 05-02-2016, 12:16 PM
nevada72
Banned

Awesome advice Nick - much appreciated! We'll definitely add that to the loop.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Must-Ride/See on Cross Country Trip (ME, VT, NH, NY, MN, SD, WY, MT, ID, WA)