Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Spring Colorado Trip

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 02:03 PM
Ilovebeer
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Spring Colorado Trip

Looking to take a spring Colorado trip to the 4-corners area and want to know when a good time to go? Anyone know when the Million Dollar Highway will be passable on a motorcycle? How about routes coming to and from Denver? I know that conditions in spring are very volatile in the mountains, and I can change my plans as needed, but I would like to get some decent riding, and most importantly I don't want to get snowed in!

Old 03-29-2016, 04:20 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,981 Likes on 1,421 Posts

In the third week of May, 2011 we were headed home after a ride to the east coast. When we got to Colorado, there was a low pressure system sitting over the Rockies for an entire week. It was snowing every day in the mountains. We had to head south to New Mexico and Arizona to get back to California. YMMV.

Old 03-29-2016, 04:27 PM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've been on top of Loveland Pass the third week of May and ran from the snow down Rt. 9 and 285. My buddy got chased one year in August. Hey, ya never know.

Do you feel lucky?

BTW, turning south and touring the southern tier of Colorado first was a great move. We rode all over the southwest and to the Pacific, then back east and never hit any snow or rain!

Old 03-30-2016, 07:56 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Definitely the end of May to be safe, and then you might still get some bad weather. Right now it is 23 degrees just south of Durango at 5,500 ft., and it has been snowing in the Colorado mountains for a week.

Bill

Old 03-30-2016, 09:43 AM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Billnourse, I know it's still to early to really tell but how does the snowpack look so far this year? I might look to ride some dirt passes on the KLR by middle June. Fly fish too.

I will be out there after Labor day on the E-Glide on an extended SW tour.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:27 AM
mo cajun
Road Captain
Received 134 Likes on 83 Posts

We use this every year since we take a road trip first week of May, you can watch the snow pack and how it melts away.
Now that being said I have seen snow in the mountains when Riding in a tee shirt.
http://www.intellicast.com/Travel/We...now/Cover.aspx

Old 04-01-2016, 07:55 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by BUZZARD II
Billnourse, I know it's still to early to really tell but how does the snowpack look so far this year? I might look to ride some dirt passes on the KLR by middle June. Fly fish too.

I will be out there after Labor day on the E-Glide on an extended SW tour.
There is a lot of snow in the mountains. Just had a big storm go through last week.

Mid June should be pretty good. Most of the runoff should be done and the streams cleared up for fishing. Dirt passes might still be a little iffy. Don't know how well they are maintained.

Labor day is usually good. You will have rain in the mountains most afternoons as a rule, but generally good riding, fishing and camping.

Bill

The following users liked this post:
BUZZARD II (04-01-2016)
Old 02-13-2017, 10:59 PM
Paulwatt
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

July. I am a Colorado native for over 62 years. Lived on the front range in Denver, in the mountains in Conifer for over 25 years and now on the western slope in Grand Junction. The only month to ride on the million dollar highway is July. The beginning of August is good too. Any time before or after, you have a really good chance of riding in snow.

Old 02-14-2017, 11:29 AM
dh_meyer
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 59 Posts

When these "late Spring" snows occur, sounds like they tend to melt away fairly quickly, but do the roads get sanded/salted, too ? I hate riding in that crap

Old 02-14-2017, 05:56 PM
mo cajun
Road Captain
Received 134 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by dh_meyer
When these "late Spring" snows occur, sounds like they tend to melt away fairly quickly, but do the roads get sanded/salted, too ? I hate riding in that crap
Yes and coming down off a mountain pass full of sand in the turns can pucker you up.

Quick Reply: Spring Colorado Trip