Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Bryce Canyon to Kayenta

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 12:27 PM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

If you're in the Blanding area, here's a tip: It's a dry town. When I went into a grocery store to buy beer the manager sent me to a gas station just outside the town limits, about 2 miles away. The Super 8 in Blanding was decent and there was a good restaurant next door.

Old 04-13-2016, 05:17 PM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 309 Likes on 198 Posts

Thanks for the info guys.

Old 04-15-2016, 05:38 PM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Originally Posted by Grandslam
Any good route other than 89 to 160? Good places to eat or must see's around Bryce Canyon, Panguitch, Kanyenta? I have been to Bryce, but it was a short visit and then on the road again. Any help would be appreciated.
I really like Kanab myself; I've stayed there a few times.

To get to Kayenta, there are basically two ways to go: via Page, or 89A.

Page is the more direct route, but is not a very nice ride. Page is a kind of boring town, but lots of places to stay and you are not far from some really nice scenery: Horseshoe Bend, Antelope Canyon, and of course Lake Powell. All are amazing.

Heading south through Fredonia will take you through some of the best riding in AZ. The North Rim of the Grand Canyon has a lodge and camping; but, getting a reservation could be a challenge. If you've never been... you really need to go. The North Rim is out of the way, but no worries; because, the next leg of the day would be to Marble Canyon. You will be riding in the shadows of the Vermilion Cliffs. There are a couple of lodges in Marble Canyon and I have had recommended to me by a fly fishing friend to stay at the Cliff Dwellers Lodge. Lee's Ferry is the best fly fishing destination in AZ.

To get to Kayenta though, you will need to go out of your way a bit, because the 89 is closed just north of the 89A junction. There is a major landslide that took out a large section of the highway. You will need to head south about 25 miles to a bypass route, or the most straightforward thing to do is go to Tuba City. I've never been to Tuba City, but all those reservation towns are about the same.

There is nothing special about Kayenta. If I were going to stay anywhere near Monument Valley, I would stay in Mexican Hat or at The View, actually in Monument Valley. Again, getting reservations could be a challenge and it is not cheap. There is a neat little Inn in Mexican Hat called the San Juan Inn that is built right on the edge of a cliff overhanging the San Juan River. Pretty cool spot.

The absolute best way to enter Monument Valley is from Mexican Hat; that is where you will get the iconic views, including the spot where Forrest Gump ended his years long run (look for the roadside sign). You have to enter the park to see the two mittens. Aside from the hotel, there is a gift shop and a restaurant: nothing special. The best way to see the park though is to take a guided tour and it is definitely worth the money.

P.S.
Best way to see Bryce is on foot or horseback.

Old 04-15-2016, 05:58 PM
Grandslam
Road Master

Thanks Keith.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:59 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Thanks for the info. Highway 12, I could not see the forest for the trees. I rode Highway 12 in 2014 down to Bryce and then to Zion. Nice ride. You ever see the tree with all the Brassieres in it? I just happened to stop for a picture of the other side of the road and saw it.
Interesting you gave Brassieres a capital B in that sentence.....I like your thinking there.

Last edited by mtgriz; 04-15-2016 at 10:01 PM.
Old 04-23-2016, 03:28 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,506 Likes on 1,610 Posts

At one time (several years ago) there was a little "hole-in-the-wall" restaurant in Kayenta that served great Mexican food.

In Bluff, there's a little rustic restaurant that is (or was) ran by the locals and they grill their meats outdoors. I can't remember the name but we ate there once and really liked it.

Also, near the north rim of the Grand Canyon there's a place in Jacob's Lake that many folks say serves the best pancakes they've ever eaten.

If you're in any restaurant that offers Indian Fry Bread you need to try it!
We were in the Shipwreck area when I heard about it on the CB and later that evening I noticed it on a menu so we tried it. It was so good that we had it twice more before we left.

Old 04-24-2016, 11:54 AM
Rathgar
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Can't hardly go wrong on any road out there. I've stayed at a Mom & Pop camp/cabin place in Kanab and there is a pretty cool little motel on the river at Mexican Hat. The places in Bluff seemed expensive when I checked.
One note of caution is the weather, pay attention to thunderstorm forecasts and the skies.
I've ridden out the worst storms of my life while boating Powell or driving/riding within 50 miles of there. The desert is deceiving and merciless.

Old 04-24-2016, 08:02 PM
Grandslam
Road Master

Thanks guys for the info.

Old 04-25-2016, 12:49 PM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by keith_stepp
I really like Kanab myself; I've stayed there a few times.

To get to Kayenta, there are basically two ways to go: via Page, or 89A.

To get to Kayenta though, you will need to go out of your way a bit, because the 89 is closed just north of the 89A junction. There is a major landslide that took out a large section of the highway. You will need to head south about 25 miles to a bypass route, or the most straightforward thing to do is go to Tuba City. I've never been to Tuba City, but all those reservation towns are about the same.
With all due respect, they reopened 89 between Bitter Springs and Page last year. There is no more detour.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:31 AM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,517 Likes on 805 Posts

Any good route other than 89 to 160? Good places to eat or must see's around Bryce Canyon, Panguitch, Kanyenta? I have been to Bryce, but it was a short visit and then on the road again. Any help would be appreciated.
Sorry I missed this before. I don't know if you've gone on your trip yet, but if not: I'd definitely take 12 to 24 through Hanksville. From there you head toward Lake Powell. You can go over the top of the lake on 95, which has some really nice riding. Or, you can also detour down 276 and take a ferry boat across Lake Powell. There's something really cool about taking your motorcycle in a ferry boat in the middle of the desert. After whatever way you get past Lake Powell, you can continue on 95 to 191, or you can head south on 261 and go down the Moki Dugway. I've heard horror stories about Moki Dugway before, but I've done it a half dozen times in both directions and think it's no problem if you're a competent rider.

I don't care for Blanding too much, I really prefer to stay in Bluff or Mexican Hat when I'm in the area.

This is my favorite area to ride, I hope you enjoy it.

Capital Reef National Park on 24 heading toward Hanksville:

Hanksville:

Rt 276 near Lake Powell:

Ferry boat:

Moki Dugway:

Motel at Mexican Hat:

Good Luck

Quick Reply: Bryce Canyon to Kayenta