Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Bryce Canyon to Kayenta

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 08:40 PM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 308 Likes on 197 Posts
Default Bryce Canyon to Kayenta

Any good route other than 89 to 160? Good places to eat or must see's around Bryce Canyon, Panguitch, Kanyenta? I have been to Bryce, but it was a short visit and then on the road again. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:45 AM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Grandslam
Any good route other than 89 to 160? Good places to eat or must see's around Bryce Canyon, Panguitch, Kanyenta? I have been to Bryce, but it was a short visit and then on the road again. Any help would be appreciated.
Grand....I'm riding that way in a couple weeks staying in Kanab. The 'must sees' in the area are really Bryce and North Rim of Grand Canyon. There is nothing of note in Panguitch, Kanab or Kayenta, especially Kayenta. I stay in Kanab because it's convenient to Bryce and the North Rim. Riding over to Kayenta I like Alt 89 through the Marble Cliffs area over to Page then on to Kayenta and up that highway through Monument Valley. Also, you can't go wrong on that road that goes up to Hanksville from near Panguitch and on to Blanding. Some fine riding all over southern Utah and northern Arizona.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:28 PM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

There's not a lot of ride options in the area, just vast expanses of high desert. It is a region to ride in, though. You could take AZ 98 from Page and you will meet 160 a bit south of Kayenta. Kayenta isn't far from Monument Valley, I hope you plan on riding there.

I can't think of why anyone would actually WANT to go to Kayenta...there's not much there. There's a McDonald's, a Burger King, and a small local place.

Also be aware that Kayenta has the highest sales tax in AZ. The tribe tacks on an additional tax above the state tax, so expect to pay about 11 or 12 percent on anything you buy there.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:28 PM
Grandslam
Road Master

The Hanksville to Blanding route looks interesting.

So can you tell me what is the best way to "Do" Monument Valley and where to stay?

Old 04-11-2016, 08:01 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior

The Hanksville to Blanding route looks interesting.

So can you tell me what is the best way to "Do" Monument Valley and where to stay?
Yes, that Hanksville ride is a favorite with many riders.....beautiful desert scenery and some nice sweepers to push Harleys through. A real contrast to riding in the also excellent Magnolia State. Sport bike guys like it too but of course they're rippin it up pretty good. Even at height of season 4-wheel traffic there is pretty light because they're all down on 160 coming from or going to The Grand Canyon. But to answer your question, I'd stay in Page and then head to Kayenta and ride Monument Valley that way. Love that road...probably one of most photographed scenes in the West. Take a look at the Moki Dugway road that takes off just past Mexican Hat. Very cool unless it's been raining because there is a section that's not paved, but still fine on a big bike.

Old 04-12-2016, 04:04 PM
Grandslam
Road Master

mtgriz: I am now thinking about the ride through Hanksville and staying in Blanding. What route were you talking about going from Panguitch to Hanksville? I looked at one route, but not sure of the road.

Do you just ride through MV, see the sites, take the pictures, or take one of the tours???

Also thanks hanks4 for the info on Kayenta.

Old 04-12-2016, 04:25 PM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,726 Likes on 666 Posts

I just happen to be in Kayenta right now. Not a lot to see in town but Monument Valley is a short distance away. I made a loop through Monument Valley to Bluff UT. to Mexican Water and back to my motel room in Kayenta. 135 mile round trip, some fantastic scenery, some fairly plain high desert. Saw antelope and coyotes near the road.

Attached Thumbnails Bryce Canyon to Kayenta-monument-valley.jpg  
Old 04-12-2016, 05:14 PM
Grandslam
Road Master

DeadHawg: I'm jealous. Thanks for the info.

Old 04-12-2016, 05:39 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior

mtgriz: I am now thinking about the ride through Hanksville and staying in Blanding. What route were you talking about going from Panguitch to Hanksville? I looked at one route, but not sure of the road.

Do you just ride through MV, see the sites, take the pictures, or take one of the tours???

Also thanks hanks4 for the info on Kayenta.
Near Panguitch 12 takes off to the east and makes an arch over to Blanding. Route numbers change in there as I recall but easy to see on your map. Since I live in the NW I am usually making my way to Moab then in to Colorado and north. As for the tours, I've never done one but have heard good things about them. Years ago my daughter rode down with me and we stopped and rode horses the Navahos rented just off the MV highway. Good times. On that Moki Dugway, only did it once. Think you'll like it since it's so different from your home area....hell, suppose it's different from everyone's home area.

Edit: Blanding is an OK place to stay. Did it once because I wasn't in the mood to pay the premium to stay in Moab....although Moab is a very cool little town. Green River is another lower cost alternative to Moab.

Last edited by mtgriz; 04-12-2016 at 05:44 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:48 PM
Grandslam
Road Master

Thanks for the info. Highway 12, I could not see the forest for the trees. I rode Highway 12 in 2014 down to Bryce and then to Zion. Nice ride. You ever see the tree with all the Brassieres in it? I just happened to stop for a picture of the other side of the road and saw it.

Last edited by Grandslam; 04-12-2016 at 05:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Bryce Canyon to Kayenta