Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Tennessee Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 05:37 AM
TangSooDoMan
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tennessee Road Trip

Late May or early June i'm heading to Tennessee for some nice riding. Going to start at my moms in McKenzie then take Hwy 64 to Chattanooga, from there back roads to Knoxville then back to McKenzie. I believe it's about a 800 mile trip, going to take my time and do it in 3 days. Can't wait!

Last edited by TangSooDoMan; 04-13-2016 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:18 PM
Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Make sure you ride up Lookout Mountain and tour the battlefield site on top.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:28 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,605 Likes on 5,173 Posts

Enjoy your ride.
May 16th I leave Wisconsin for Memphis , then to the eastern side of the State for a two week ride.

Old 04-15-2016, 04:42 AM
ROUNDHEAD
Road Master
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

When you start, head toward Linden and take 13 to Waynesboro to hit 64.

13 is a great ride.

We usually eat at the Smokehouse in Monteagle when we are traveling thru. I love to pick up some of their homemade hot sauces and preserves.

The following users liked this post:
TangSooDoMan (05-01-2016)
Old 04-15-2016, 04:47 AM
ROUNDHEAD
Road Master
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

Also, when you get to Cleveland, take 74 thru Ocoee to Cherokee, Maggie Valley to Ashville. Takes you by Cherhola Skyway, Dragon and Moonshine 28, all great rides.

Old 04-17-2016, 11:35 PM
Cousy
Road Captain
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Hard to make a recommendation without knowing your riding style and interests, but I'll make a few suggestions.

Hwy 13 that Roundhead mentions is part of my usual loop that I make when I just have an hour or so to clear my head. The ~25 miles between Linden and Waynesboro is a nice stretch. 64 passes through some nice countryside, but is mostly 4 lanes all the way to Monteagle/I-24 making for speedy, interstate-like travel. It's not a road that I would base my trip on, but it can get you to some really good riding...quickly.

Is there anything drawing you to Chattanooga and Knoxville? Some touristy stuff in Chatt, but not much to see in Knoxville imo. On the outskirts, however...

...Some of the best riding in Tennessee is right in the middle of the state northwest of Chattanooga.

TN-56 between McMinnville and Altamont is great. One of the best motorcycle roads in the state imo.

All of TN-30 is good.

TN-111 west through Dunlap to McMinnville is also a great ride. Amazing scenery near Dunlap.

I do like Hwy 64 between Ocoee and Ducktown. It's mostly two lanes and runs along the Ocoee river. From there you can hit TN-68 north to Tellico Plains and jump on the Cherohala Skyway to Robbinsville. North on US-129 to the Dragon. Foothills Parkway to Walland and back to Maryville, where you can pick up a T-shirt at the best Harley dealership in the state, Smoky Mountain HD. Good restaurant on site. Check the hours of operation.

Back toward McKenzie is the Natchez Trace Parkway. The stretch from Hwy 412/Hohenwald all the way up to its end at Hwy 100/Nashville is the best.

If you were paying me to plan your route (without going through Chattanooga or Knoxville proper), here's what I would do:

From McKenzie, take TN-22 south to Lexington and pickup US-412 east to Linden. TN-13 south to Waynesboro/US-64. 64 to Winchester and take 41A to Tracy City. Then TN-56 north to McMinnville. TN-30 east to Dayton and take the Hiwassee Hwy across Chickamauga Lake and TN-60 back to US-64/Cleveland and ride the stretch that I mentioned above. If you wanted to spend more time in the Smoky Mountains area, you could ride on to Maggie Valley and visit the Wheels Through Time Museum which is awesome. If you stay in Maggie Valley, check out The Alamo Motel.

From Maryville (just south of Knoxville) you could make your way back to McKenzie on a route to Nashville and pick up the Natchez Trace Parkway down to Hohenwald/US-412 and back toward Lexington and TN-22 to McKenzie. If you wanted to skip Nashville, you could take US-70/70S to Murfreesboro, and ride TN-96 through Franklin to the Natchez Trace.

Skipping US-64 through Middle Tennessee would allow you to weave through some nice scenery at Hohenwald, Columbia, Shelbyville, Lynchburg (Jack Daniels), and on toward Winchester and Tracy City.

Heck, this masterpiece of a ride makes me want to go with you! I've ridden all this before, just not on the same trip. Hope this helps!

Last edited by Cousy; 04-18-2016 at 12:01 AM.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:24 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

From Mckenzie go across the Tenn river Bridge at Paris Landing Hwy 79 headed towards Dover. Turn right onto Hwy 232 a mile or so after crossing the bridge. There is a sign for a place called Fat Daddy's. (cool place, bar restaurant bikes and boats and bikini babes btw) Check it out if you have time. Continue on down 232 until you come to a stop sign at Hwy 147. Turn left toward Tn Ridge and just stay on this road until you come back out at Dover Tn. Beautiful twisty ride that ends up following along side Lake Barkley. Once in Dover head east until you reach Clarksville and pick up Hwy 13 south. More twisty road for miles all the way to Waynesboro . Then pick up the directions from the above post.

Last edited by tnriverluver; 04-19-2016 at 10:46 PM.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:31 AM
LDB187
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

3 days? No way. You'll be haul'n *** the whole time.

Old 04-28-2016, 06:33 AM
HDriderDave1
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LDB187
3 days? No way. You'll be haul'n *** the whole time.
I agree

Old 06-03-2016, 04:38 PM
TangSooDoMan
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The date was changed to the weekend of June 25th and looks like we will just be doing day rides out of McKenzie.

Quick Reply: Tennessee Road Trip