Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Hillbilly headed to Milwaukee - how much time at the museum?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 08:15 PM
Cousy
Road Captain
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Hate to skip out on the pizza, but I will consider taking the ferry over to Muskegon and heading south from there. It would shorten my ride for that day, but the wallet would be 100 bucks lighter too. Looks like motorcycles ride free until June 14th. I used to live in Memphis so not sure how much worse Chicago could be, but I'm heeding all the advice here.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:49 PM
jimmmya
Cruiser
Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

I will be heading that way in August from RI, just looked on Expedia app Iron Horse is 260/night during the week !! That is 160$ over my budget for a night

Old 04-18-2016, 09:21 PM
churchkey
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure where your coming from. Last summer we took US 12 from Artesian Wells MI to Chicago. Traffic was nothing. Wouldnt even know you were in Chicago. We had pizza at Lou Malnatis in Evanston IL. Made it to Milwaukee for the night following lake Michigan. Half day at museum depending on how much you like to read.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:42 PM
skyflyer
Road Captain
Received 126 Likes on 73 Posts

If you can try to schedule a factory steel toe tour also. I went last fall and stayed at the Best Western out by the airport. Not fancy but ok and the cost was reasonable.

They are redoing the two big interchanges out there so be prepared for traffic issues.
Pretty sure HOG members get in the museum free.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:33 AM
bballkking1
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Honestly the highways will be your best bet, either 294N or 355N. Avoid a rush hour. Just get in a middle lane and go with the flow. Any roads through the neighborhoods will be more dangerous with traffic.

Old 04-21-2016, 02:50 PM
jay72
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

For and to all those that say Chicago traffic is manageable, I call BS. I too, would suggest riding toward Cleveland. You could visit the Football Hall of Fame and the R & R Hall. Head west along the lake and head north from the western side of Ohio into Michigan. Again, skirt the lake and ride the Ferry across the water and then swing down into Mildoggie. The museum is a least half a day venture. When you depart and head back south, go around, go way around, go way, way around Chicago. We hit the interstate about 9:00Am and when we got on I saw a sign that said speed limit 55. I checked the ole speedo and was clocking 85MPH, and I was being passed. Semi trucks on both sides and crowding me. The wife looked around and told me to get the **** of this thing. NOW!!!! You also have toll booths that require money every half mile or so. Of course, I blew thru all of them. Let me tell you, they WILL find you and it is way more expensive to do it my way. But, the museum is worth the crap that you go thru. A word of caution, the security there really don't like you touching the exhibits.

Old 04-21-2016, 03:27 PM
Cousy
Road Captain
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm coming into Milwaukee from the southwest, Rockford Illinois specifically. I'm leaning toward skipping Chicago by taking the ferry to Muskegon. I'll only have a little over 300 miles to Columbus at that point. Won't be able to work in Cleveland this time.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:36 AM
bigwave916
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been to the museum 10 plus times and it still takes me an hour and a half to get through it. First time 3 hours minimum. Never had a problem with security, but then again, I don't have any trouble keeping my hands off things you're not supposed to touch.

I often eat lunch in the café there and you may run into Willile G or Bill Davidson having lunch. Bill, quite often actually.

Nothing to add on route planning. I've taken the slow ferry across the lake but never the high speed. I won't go through Chicago on a weekday unless it's between 1:00 AM and about 4:30 AM. You can breeze through there if you don't mind traveling between those hours. Never ever get caught in that cluster %&%&% on a Friday or Sunday night after about 4:00 in the afternoon. It's nuckin' futs.

For hotels, I've never wanted to spend the bucks at the Iron Horse. I like the Ambassador Hotel that is maybe 10 minutes away. Nice place, art deco, European themed, in a deteriorating neighborhood that is also not too far from Juneau Ave H-D Headquarters and Marquette University. Secure parking structure with gates for guest only parking. (you can't get in or out without your ticket)

Check out Mader's for German food, Calderone Club for Italian food, La Perla on 6th and National for Mexican, and for ribs, Mo's Irish pub in Wauwatosa just west of the city. Have fun.

Last edited by bigwave916; 04-22-2016 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:07 PM
kcm210
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I was at the museum last year. Spent the day...including the Steel Toe tour which was awesome.
Can recommend the Best Western out by the airport. I'd been travelling a lot last summer and used the Best Western Harley rewards. As a member(as you would be), i was often upgraded. Had an amazing suite at the BW and a great breakfast(included). It's only about 10 mins from the Museum and the staff were freaking awesome.

Also took the hi-speed from Milwaukee across the lake. A great way to go....

Old 04-27-2016, 12:40 PM
hutch4
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thursday night is bike night both the HD museum and the Iron Horse hotel. The Iron Horse is pricy but convenient. It's also very nice. It really impresses the ladies. You can walk to the HD museum. Lots of bikes at the museum that night. The Iron Horse has a different bike featured each week.
We have also taken a Cubs-Brewers while there.

Quick Reply: Hillbilly headed to Milwaukee - how much time at the museum?