Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Hillbilly headed to Milwaukee - how much time at the museum?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 06:46 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by quickbiscuit
I'm coming into Milwaukee from the southwest, Rockford Illinois specifically. I'm leaning toward skipping Chicago by taking the ferry to Muskegon. I'll only have a little over 300 miles to Columbus at that point. Won't be able to work in Cleveland this time.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Are you riding around Chicago to Rockford, on to Milwaukee (via 43 presumably) and then considering the ferry for the way back?

Chicago is everything everyone said it is - good and bad. Depends when and where you are. I do a lot of business in Chicago so I'm used to it. That said, I don't take the bike because it's not much fun. We do, however, have to run through Chicago anytime we head towards your neck of the woods. It doesn't phase us one bit. We just take 294 every time. I rarely experience any kind of slow down on 294. As mentioned, usually the opposite - 85 MPH and being passed. I wouldn't waste my time on the pizza. But that's me. I've had plenty of it and prefer the pizza in Milw.

Milwaukee hotels - Iron Horse is the best, but $$. The airport idea is a good one if you don't drink. Otherwise, I would try to stay downtown. Good deals can be had. Don't stay anywhere west right now - the highway is a cluster.

The ferry is nice. The free deal makes it worth it. Otherwise too much $$ imo. Not a Muskegon fan, but you won't hang out there anyway.

I've been to the museum 4 times and loved every visit. You could easily spend a full day there if you read all the material. I would think 3-4 hours would be my limit. Bike nights on Thurs are a good time. Usually hundreds of bikes.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:42 AM
Cousy
Road Captain
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Are you riding around Chicago to Rockford, on to Milwaukee (via 43 presumably) and then considering the ferry for the way back?
Bob, from Tennessee I'm riding up through the middle of Illinois, coming into Rockford from the south, probably on 251. Then from Rockford to Milwaukee. If I take the ferry over to Muskegon, that will cut out Chicago completely.

Thanks for the advice. I remember your commenting on one of my threads several years ago. Did you and your lady ever make it down to ride the Natchez Trace?

Old 04-29-2016, 11:00 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Sadly no. It's still on our "to do" list. But it will happen for sure.