Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Hillbilly headed to Milwaukee - how much time at the museum?

Old 04-18-2016, 12:43 AM
Cousy
Road Captain
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Hillbilly headed to Milwaukee - how much time at the museum?

I'm looking to head north once the weather gets comfortable up there. How much time is needed to take in the HD Museum? I haven't found any reference as to how long it normally takes to see all the exhibits. Are there any nearby motels that have safe motorcycle parking?

Out of Milwaukee I'm heading toward Columbus, Ohio. Do I need to stay far, far away from Chicago or could I sneak in for a slice of deep dish? I'd like to stay off the interstate for the whole trip.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Old 04-18-2016, 07:26 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,871 Likes on 2,538 Posts

The museum can be a full day if you get wrapped up into reading all the plaques and drooling over the exhibits. It is pretty f-in awesome. I would also suggest instead of Columbus go to Cleveland and hit the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, equally awesome and also a full day if you get into it.

Hotel right across the street from museum, Iron Horse something or another, very biker friendly. Not recommending, never stayed there but I know it exists.

Chicago traffic can suck for sure, but if I had the time I would stop for a slice. I have ridden through at least twice but never with the time to stop, a regret.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:37 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,510 Likes on 6,269 Posts

Traffic in Chicago is manageable. It is the Interstates that are crazy. You could get good pizza in Suburbs even far ones like Marengo.

My wife uses Priceline to get good rates at the Crown Plaza in Wauwautosa. Very safe. Nice hotel.
https://m.ihg.com/hotels/crowneplaza...-_-USA-_-MKEMR

Last edited by Ron750; 04-18-2016 at 08:27 PM. Reason: spell
Old 04-18-2016, 08:12 AM
jrrarr
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Half a day at the museum, gift shop and restaurant there. I've never stayed at the Iron Horse, but I think it's pricey. Going east from Milwaukee I would take the ferry from Milwaukee to Muskegon, MI and completely avoid Chicago as well as the drive from Milwaukee to Chicago. Lake Express Ferry.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:01 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

3 to 4 hours at the Museum. Last time there we stayed in Germantown.

I hate Chicago and avoid it if at all possible. Not that crazy about pizza either.

Last time we were there we went to Chicago then hit 80 East to just west of Cleveland then headed south. Time constraints required an interstate run.

Because of time constraints we also didn't take the ferry, but I wish we had and if I had to do it again we would.

Bill

Old 04-18-2016, 10:09 AM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 600 Likes on 351 Posts

i was at the museum once and it took 3 hours. we didn't stop in the restaurant or the gift shop so if we did that it would have been longer. zaffiro's on farewell st. is our pizza stop in milwaukee

Old 04-18-2016, 11:55 AM
rydeer
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

2 hrs at Museum. Strip joint at Milwaukee H-D could take some time!!

Old 04-18-2016, 04:41 PM
Brit Biker
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have spent an entire day at the museum.....twice. It's an amazing place if you are into all things HD. The cafe & restaurant are worth stopping for lunch. Gift shop is also pretty neat.
Both times I have been to Milwaukee we have stayed at the Iron Horse hotel. It is the ultimate biker friendly place with individual covered parking for bikes, wash station. It is very comfortable and yes, it is pricey but well worth it in my humble opinion. It looks over the HD museum so is very handy for visiting.

The interstates around Chicago were a nightmare when we did it and that was on a Sunday when we hoped to avoid traffic!

Old 04-18-2016, 07:34 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 630 Likes on 502 Posts

the only time i go through chicago on the bike is 5am on the weekend. the boat to michigan is also pricey but the way to go. been through chicago on the bike 3 different ways all sucked. if its early weekend 94-294-80. hwy41 if u dont do interstate but its bad neighborhoods and uninsured motorists.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:37 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 630 Likes on 502 Posts

near the museum is great lakes distillery they do tours with samples.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hillbilly headed to Milwaukee - how much time at the museum?