Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Yellowstone n.p.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 03:40 PM
mike in dallas
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Yellowstone n.p.

Getting closers to our trip in late June and I can't wait. Driving me crazy. I have read everything on here about Yellowstone and the surrounding area. We will make Cody, WY our base once we get there. But before we do that we will spend a day in Rocky Mountain N.P. We have been before back in 2000 with the kiddos so the only difference will be on the bike. It always seems like the days just drag along the closers we get to D day. I know that we won't see everything on this trip but we have set aside one day for Jackson, one for part of the park and a ride across Beartooth to Red Lodge and then back across to pick up chief Joseph Hwy. On top of all that we decided to spend a night in Deadwood. We will mostly be passing through but I couldn't resist heading home via SD. Should have plenty of pics from my wife who rides with me. Until then I just keep riding my little area of North Texas.
MIKE

Old 04-21-2016, 03:42 PM
mike in dallas
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

Forgot that one day is also just the park itself. Planning on starting early to try and beat the crowds.

Old 04-21-2016, 04:10 PM
CR3999
Road Captain
Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

I feel ya, I leaving July 25th to that area. I have four weeks to hang out up there. Hitting the Grand Tetons, Yellowstone and then Sturgis on the way home. The ride will be epic.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:57 PM
Firebike32
Road Warrior
Received 139 Likes on 91 Posts

The last time we were in the Park the speed limit was 45 MPH and was enforced. Couple that with the wildlife caused traffic jams, you might have to throw any schedule out the window. If you come up on buffalo on the road don't follow a car into the herd. They WILL stop in the middle to take a picture leaving you stopped and exposed. We spent the night at Mammoth Hot Spring and did the figure 8 in the Park before heading to Cody at the end of the day. Misjudge our time in the Park and did Chief Joseph in the dark. I've never seen so many deer in my life. Hope you have a great trip.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:30 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,304 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Hotel Irma in Cody is a good place to stay. Food and drinks and a little entertainment. We based in West Yellowstone as it was closer to the park, but its all good.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:29 PM
lmar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,073 Likes on 2,055 Posts

The last time I was in Yellowstone it was very slow going. Lots of traffic, lots of animals and very slow going. Take your time and enjoy the park.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:20 AM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 308 Likes on 197 Posts

Headed that way in August. I am flying my wife out to Rapid City. A few days riding in the Black Hills, then over to the Irma Hotel, Chief Joseph, Beartooth, three nights in Yellowstone, a night in Jackson and my wife is flying home. Then I have to find my way back home. Bryce Canyon area for three nights, then Monument Valley, and Colorado. Maybe I can find my way back home.

Old 04-22-2016, 01:07 PM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 888 Likes on 533 Posts

I know the feeling. The second week of Sept. a group of us are shipping our bikes to Jackson and staying 3 nights there. Then 3 nights in Gardiner, 1 night in Red Lodge and 2 nights in Bighorn. Will spend the last night in Cody doing the cowboy stuff. I can't wait....

Old 04-22-2016, 01:36 PM
Chief2505
Tourer
Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I will be there the last week of June as well but unfortunately (or fortunately depending how you look at it) I will be in the car. The wife and I are taking our 3 older grandkids 9,11 & 14 to see Yellowstone and the Tetons. We are staying in Paradise Valley just north of the park and plan to spend 3 days in the park and another doing some rafting and zip lining.

I have been to Yellowstone several times on the bike and in the car. Just cannot get enough of that place and to be able to share it with my grand kids will be a lot of fun too!

The following users liked this post:
mike in dallas (04-22-2016)
Old 04-23-2016, 10:51 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,464 Likes on 1,591 Posts

There's a very nice firearms museum located in Cody if you have the time.

Both early morning and early evening can be a bit dangerous with so many animals roaming around, and forget about night driving.

Several years ago, we left West Yellowstone heading east back through the park and we had a very "up close and personal" encounter with a HUGE bull bison. Sort of like a stand-off for several minutes.
If you encounter these cool beasts, remember, you're on their turf, so be calm, patient and they'll usually cross the road but at their pace.

So much to see out there, but since you're heading east towards S.D., I'd recommend that you visit the Devil's Tower, and for a little break, check out the little town of Alladin, WY, which isn't too far off of I-90.

The following users liked this post:
mike in dallas (04-24-2016)

Quick Reply: Yellowstone n.p.