Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

New rider. Thinking of making a trip to the beach.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 04:51 AM
ROUNDHEAD
Road Master
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

Sounds like you may need to take the motorcycle safety course. Good info and was a lot of fun for me and my wife.

We have all been there.

Use an empty parking lot to practice emergency braking, turns, etc.

Old 04-29-2016, 06:43 AM
HDriderDave1
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

also you might want to consider gear that will help you to be seen when you do decide to make the trip. And yes, take the rider courses!

Ride safe bro

Old 04-29-2016, 07:25 AM
wolfman5874
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by slowride2016
Seeing that you're willing to listen to everyone's advice makes me think you'll be fine. I'm not saying take the ride through traffic to the beach. I mean that you'll take those rides when you feel comfortable doing them. There's no need to push yourself into making poor decisions but you already know that or you wouldn't have made this post.
Yea there is still plenty of local riding to do around here and I know the roads very well. Plus whenever I do feel comfortable to make the trip, having friends riding with me there will make it that much more fun. Thankfully I do have quite a few friends that do ride.

I appreciate the advice everyone.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:07 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Did you take a Basic Rider Course? It is literally a lifesaver. If you haven't taken it, sign up as soon as possible.

http://www.msf-usa.org/brc.aspx

http://www.harley-davidson.com/conte...er-course.html

The Harley course is free for veterans, active duty military or EMS. Both my sons are taking it this summer.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:42 PM
wolfman5874
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
Did you take a Basic Rider Course? It is literally a lifesaver. If you haven't taken it, sign up as soon as possible.

http://www.msf-usa.org/brc.aspx

http://www.harley-davidson.com/conte...er-course.html

The Harley course is free for veterans, active duty military or EMS. Both my sons are taking it this summer.
Ron, I haven't taken the class. I am going to plan to take it this summer. I am so glad I didn't attempt the trip. In addition to not being ready, the weather didn't turn out so great. I was really looking forward to seeing the F-22 Raptor in action but it was so cloudy he wasn't able to do the entire show unfortunately.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Old 05-01-2016, 08:21 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfman5874
Ron, I haven't taken the class. I am going to plan to take it this summer. I am so glad I didn't attempt the trip. In addition to not being ready, the weather didn't turn out so great. I was really looking forward to seeing the F-22 Raptor in action but it was so cloudy he wasn't able to do the entire show unfortunately.

Thanks everyone for the advice.
If you can, take a class sooner. New rider deaths plummeted after the introduction of these classes.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:38 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

Sounds like you took the good advise of others. if you have doubts as to your ability to make a trip then you are not ready. Ride/learn at your own pace only you know when you are ready for something. Be honest with yourself

Old 05-04-2016, 04:36 PM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

55 miles is not that far, I've ridden 3 times that far just to eat lunch. I see your problem as you are used to riding in a more rural area and are worried about riding in an urban area. I understand your hesitation. I am the exact opposite, I live in a very large urban area, so I have broader experience and can ride comfortably anywhere. You'll take the big ride when you're ready. There's no rush. Like others have said, get more miles on the saddle and increase your comfort level.

Old 05-04-2016, 06:31 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,487 Likes on 1,600 Posts

While a motorcycle safety class is certainly a great idea, no amount of closed course training can really prepare you for what other drivers may do.

Don't always rely on people using their turn signals (or even the proper turn signal).
My brother-in-law gave up riding when the car in front of him had slowed down with the RH turn signal blinking and then turned LEFT in front of him.

Many years ago there was a statistic that claimed "the first 600 miles that you ride will be the most dangerous miles that you ever ride".

Practicing in empty parking lots, light traffic and on rural roads is about as safe as you can be so keep up the good work and as others have said, go at your own pace.

Good luck and ride safely.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:51 AM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,411 Posts

I still ride with a paranoid attitude where I believe every other vehicle on the road is driven by a psychotic about to commit suicide by motor vehicle accident. So I trust no one and believe anyone is capable of doing something stupid. It's called defensive riding.

Quick Reply: New rider. Thinking of making a trip to the beach.