Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

GPS Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 08:00 AM
Doc V
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a Zumo 660. It is the discontinued predecessor to the 590, but there are still tons of these around. You can find them for ~$325 if you want to save some money. The built in memory is lower, but you can add a micro SD card. I have the current City Navigator North America map on mine. You can find a comparison of the 660 and 590 on YouTube. The HD GPS was a 660 until recently (2015?). If I were buying I'd probably get the 590, but many people are still using the 660.

An iPhone in a cradle works ok, I've used one in a LifeProof case, but you have to figure out how to wire it, touch screen does not work with gloves, signal can be a problem, etc. Zumo is way better.

Doc

Last edited by Doc V; 05-02-2016 at 08:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Flatlander74 (05-02-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 06:23 PM
Sparkee...
Road Master
Received 226 Likes on 142 Posts

I still prefer a paper map to plan the bulk of a trip. It is still the best option for "seeing" the whole picture. I then use Google maps, Waze and iPhone maps on my iPhone for voice assistance through my Bluetooth head set. Since the cell providers still like to rape a person with data roaming Maps.me is good for downloading maps before crossing the border. I have also repurposed an old iPhone on a Ram mount connected by the hotspot on my good iPhone for a quick glance display. I don't need to be able to operate it while riding, that can wait till I stop for a break.

Old 05-02-2016, 07:01 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,967 Likes on 1,413 Posts

In the group of guys with whom I do most of my riding, I am the only one with a gps. But I am also the only one also carries AAA paper maps, both of the states we are passing through, and the region of the country. I find both have their uses. I like looking at the paper maps to get the big picture. But when I get up in the morning, I put a few destinations into the gps to make the day's ride easier. And I don't have to do the navigation alone. We all now have communicators so when a confusing area is coming up, we are all prepared and in communication. Electronics have made group riding a bit easier.

Flatlander74 (05-03-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 08:34 PM
05 LowRider
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use my Iphone and have an app downloaded called "HERE maps". Here is nice because you can download individual states and use the app offline and it won't use any data. The app can be voice enabled and will even tell you if you are going over the speed limit if you leave the speed alert feature enabled. It is an inexpensive GPS but I like it because it allows me to use my phone as a GPS in areas that I lose cell service such as in the mountains of Tennessee and N. Carolina.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:23 PM
Doc V
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm all about paper maps, pour over them at night, but when navigating though a city or series of interchanges in an urban setting, a GPS is fantastic. Best to program them in advance though, I've had some strange experiences running them on autopilot.

Cheers,
Doc

Old 05-03-2016, 02:04 PM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Psycle
I highly recommend everyone have a gps on their bikes and cars. It is a safety device.
I agree and a cell phone is not a great substitute when you are out in the middle nowhere. Google maps does have a way to download maps and make them available when there is no service, but the detail may not be there, and the area you are in currently may not be cached locally.

A stand-alone GPS is reliable no matter where you are. The trick is that you need to routinely update the maps, which a lot of people never do.

In general though, I never use a GPS. I use my tablet or my phone. I also don't navigate by GPS, unless the directions are too complicated to memorize.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:06 PM
rydeer
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I carried My Garmin 11,000 miles to the arctic circle and back. Never used it. Used Paper Maps. (Hog Book) I really have it to negotiate neighborhoods.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:22 PM
Flatlander74
Advanced
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Thank you one and all for the information

I want to thank each of you for giving me your input on my GPS questions. I love to use my Butler Maps and AAA State Road Maps and plan to continue doing so. But, will take the safety advice and get a GPS to mount on the Old 08 FLHTCU the unit should come in very handy when driving in those damned cities.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:54 PM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

done it both paper and gps....

I would never take a trip again without pre-planing the route and loading it in my Garmin zumo 665lm

I go on base camp and plan the route with a second screen open to goggle maps
and build a trip from that. The help of google maps I have found some the best riding from Nc to California we never hit traffic or major towns, you can always find the best roads and twisty with google then plan that with base camp

The best part of planning before the trip and loading into gps is you don't need to wast any time on the trip planning just enjoy and ride no need to stay up late after dinner to plan next day I also find that when planning a trip after i have made out a route I always find a better road or local favorite as I tweek the route

Flatlander74 (05-04-2016)
Old 08-21-2016, 05:02 PM
Steve Schklar
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what am I doing wrong?

Originally Posted by billnourse
You don't say what bike you are riding. If you have a bike with factory HD Harmon Cardon I would suggest the Zumo 660 Road Tech. It is Bluetooth, intergrates with your stereo so you receive turn by turn through your speakers and can also play MP3's through your stereo system. If you have a fairing bike there is a inner fairing mount that makes the instillation very clean. They were factory equipment on CVO's through 2013. They come with an Auto mount so you can use it in your car Cost is 649.00 from HD.

My wife and I, as well as several friends have used these for several years and they are very good units. We have traveled extensively the last few years and have found these units to be very reliable and accurate, and they have a 2 year warranty.

Bill
Hi Bill

I have a 2012 Limited. Dash mounted Road Tech 660, also the iPod unit.
For some reason I cannot get the 660 to send nav prompts/info to my speakers or my wired HD headset.

It will work with my Scala Rider bluetooth to send turns, etc but I prefer the wired system.

What setting or ?? could I be missing????

I can get AM,FM,CD,XM,iPod through the headset but not the Road Tech commands. Wonder where the problem could be?

All ideas welcome please.

Thanks

Quick Reply: GPS Advice Needed