Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Back Roads and the Natchez Trace

Old 05-02-2016, 08:49 PM
paid4c4
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Back Roads and the Natchez Trace

For the past eight days I've been on a road trip on my Harley. I've been traveling with four other Harley riders. We took the back roads of America and traveled through Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana. We picked up the Natchez Trace at Natchez, Mississippi riding it to Tennessee. The Natchez Trace (https://www.nps.gov/natr/planyourvisit/directions.htm) was an old cattle/slave north/south trail. It is now a Federal Park/Trail which is 453 miles long and runs from Natchez, Mississippi to Nashville, Tennessee. We also visited the Battlefield at Vicksburg, Mississippi which was one of the highlights of the trip. All total our trip was 2,182.8 miles of wonderful America, road, sun and wind. One ending comment about Natchez Trace, if you're looking for sweepers you'll only find sleepers. It is straight road at 50 MPH almost all the way.
On a sad note a friend and classmate from the class of 1968 Jan Elliott was killed while riding the Natchez Trace. We were there at the same time and didn't know it, we might have even passed each other. A truck drove into Jan's lane of traffic killing Jan and the person he was riding with instantly. The driver of the truck was also killed. May Jan Rest in Peace.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:54 PM
iRider
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 1,384 Likes on 814 Posts

I hope to travel that road one of these days. I have heard it is beautiful.

My condolences to the loss of your friend.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:14 PM
Doc V
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Sorry to hear of your friend's death. I enjoyed riding the Trace, it is a very pleasant road, but I agree it is not overly exciting. I scooted off a few times to enjoy some side roads.

Cheers,
Doc

Old 05-03-2016, 05:55 AM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

the side roads, some of the towns, history stops, that is the trace

Old 05-03-2016, 06:17 AM
ROUNDHEAD
Road Master
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

Can't understand how accidents like that happen. The Trace is such a slow peaceful ride and does not seem to be anything to be concerned about at all.

Prayers to all.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:45 AM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Sorry to hear about your friend. Sounds like a case of distracted driving.

The Natchez Trace is one of the most peaceful and bucolic rides there is. And because it is flat and straight with a 50 mph limit, you'll get the best gas mileage you have ever gotten.

I rode the Trace in 2011. I am an opera fan. Leontyne Price is arguably the best opera singer of the 20th century, and a daughter of the State of Mississippi. So while I was riding the Trace, I was listening to her on the sound system to honor Mississippi's gift to the world of opera. The funny thing was that when I got off the Trace to get gas or eat, those who could hear the music coming out of the loud speakers on the bike seemed to express their disapproval by the sneers and frowns on their faces. Little did they know I was trying to honor the State of Mississippi for the great gift they gave the world.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:50 AM
paid4c4
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Psycle
Sorry to hear about your friend. Sounds like a case of distracted driving.

The Natchez Trace is one of the most peaceful and bucolic rides there is. And because it is flat and straight with a 50 mph limit, you'll get the best gas mileage you have ever gotten.

I rode the Trace in 2011. I am an opera fan. Leontyne Price is arguably the best opera singer of the 20th century, and a daughter of the State of Mississippi. So while I was riding the Trace, I was listening to her on the sound system to honor Mississippi's gift to the world of opera. The funny thing was that when I got off the Trace to get gas or eat, those who could hear the music coming out of the loud speakers on the bike seemed to express their disapproval by the sneers and frowns on their faces. Little did they know I was trying to honor the State of Mississippi for the great gift they gave the world.
I got 60 mpg on two tanks! I listen to a mixture of music and I got some really weird looks when I stopped and Josh Groban was playing. A very peacefully ride.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:57 PM
Drair
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by paid4c4
For the past eight days I've been on a road trip on my Harley. I've been traveling with four other Harley riders. We took the back roads of America and traveled through Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana. We picked up the Natchez Trace at Natchez, Mississippi riding it to Tennessee.
Off that way myself next week, final destination Vicksburg. Nice to see your posting; sorry to hear of your friend and his rider's tragedy.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:38 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,458 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Sad to hear of your friend, his friend and also the driver of the truck.

I (we) rode south down the Trace last summer.
That was my second time doing the ride south on a motorcycle as I did it in 2000.
I (we) drove north in '09 in our convertible and all of the rides have been peaceful and scenic.

In comparison to may other scenic roads it is more "tame" but also allows a better opportunity to notice things rather than focusing on the curves.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:06 AM
HDriderDave1
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

sorry to hear about your friend. Our condolences bro. We were on the trace 2 weeks ago again and always a great ride for us. I ride between 60 and 70 all the time with tunes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Back Roads and the Natchez Trace