Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

The Journeys of Darla ....

Old 05-15-2016, 08:19 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,071 Likes on 8,907 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Subscribed , god I love those mountains.
Very pretty this time of year with the snow on them still.

This was the first time I have gone on a decent road trip and taken a bunch of pictures with my iPhone 6. Except for the one poor shot, the bike was in the shade and the mountains where in the sun, it worked out pretty good. I am going to open up that pict in PhotoShop and see if I can fix it. The problem is that the DPI in a phone is pretty low, and that makes it pretty hard to correct them. I downloaded an app for the phone, but I could not do much with it. It was a good ride. I put on about 1,500 kilometers and Darla ran like a dream. Lovely riding motorcycle. Clearly the best pure touring bike I have ever owned. The few shortcomings on the bike are ... that stupid gear indicator. It is pretty easy to tell if you are in top gear, just pull in the clutch and shift up. I would much rather know when I am in 3rd and 4th. The rear Air Shocks are not all that good. I will look at replacing them with a set of proper ones. For my frame, it would be nice if the handle grips where one inch higher, and one inch back.
The good stuff .... I borrowed a buddy's single reach seat, and it fits me like a glove and has all day riding capability. No sore *** at all. The Cruise control is marvelous. The turn signals are so easy to use, are easy to cancel, and are self cancelling. The side stand is great. I was able to get off the road and park this bike, in places where I would not have taken my BMW. BMW needs to ride a Harley, see how their sidestand works, and then copy them. One handed riding, even in the twisties. It will handle the weight of even two people up and full loaded, and is easy to ride in stop and go traffic. The BMW is a beast in comparison, even though it is hundreds of pounds lighter.

Here is the Last One from this trip. Sometimes, if I get a shot I like, I will open it up in Photoshop and detail it a bit. In this Pict I have removed the Telephone post and wires, and touched up the colors and the exposure a bit. Usually, I use my iPhone for record shots, and my Camera, set in RAW, for my Photoshop work. This is a JPEG from the iPhone so it has a lot less material to work with. I had my Camera with me, but got lazy. The outcome with the Camera would have been much better as you can get down to a much smaller pixel size. If you look closley you will see the modifications. I spent about 5 minutes doing this. If it was a RAW image out of my DSLR, I would have spent a lot more time getting it much better.

This one of my GoTo picture places that is easy to get to. We are looking east, so if you come here in the later afternoon, say around 5 or 6, then the shadows are right. And if it is in the spring you can get snow on the far range. You will notice that I put a frame around it also. This is all done in Photoshop.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-03-2017 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:50 PM
jay72
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

subscribed.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:58 PM
paoloD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,692 Likes on 1,283 Posts

The southern interior truly is spectacular both in riding and scenery. Been there a few times on a bike and couldn't believe how great the area is. I also have just came over to an Electra Glide from a BMW. You are correct about the BMW being lighter but also hard to handle if your not a giant with long legs. The Electra Glide is more than I dreamed it would be. Maybe I will see you on the roads up there over the summer. Keep up the updates .
Thanks

Old 05-16-2016, 09:20 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,284 Likes on 1,903 Posts

I love riding in that area, we like staying in Kaslo and riding the empty roads

Old 05-16-2016, 10:14 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by Vernal
I love riding in that area, we like staying in Kaslo and riding the empty roads
I have done New Denver to Kaslo, and the other direction already this year. Just have to watch out for those rocks the logging trucks toss on the road when they are over the side of the road a bit.

Last edited by CanadianRocky; 10-13-2018 at 08:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
racinghoss (05-26-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 11:21 PM
Poppawhiskey
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

When you are in Kaslo, don't deny yourself a run up to Meadow Creek and back. And the gravel is good if you want to go on to Trout Lake/ Galena Bay. Rode my Deluxe that way last summer. Probably averaged 40-50 km/hr on the gravel.

The following users liked this post:
CanadianRocky (05-26-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 11:30 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by Poppawhiskey
When you are in Kaslo, don't deny yourself a run up to Meadow Creek and back. And the gravel is good if you want to go on to Trout Lake/ Galena Bay. Rode my Deluxe that way last summer. Probably averaged 40-50 km/hr on the gravel.
I am going to run up to Trout Lake this year. My buddy says they still have Clear Gas pumps up there.

Your close. We should see if we can do a ride this year sometime.

Ok, well it looks like Darla and I ride in a week. Off to Nelson for a few days.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-03-2017 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:56 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,284 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppawhiskey
We rode up to Meadow Creek last year but didn't continue, locals told us the road was pretty wash boardy from logging trucks, it is a beautiful ride.
Crossing at Galena Bay it was the Engineers last day of work, (retired the next day), and he gave us a tour of the engine room.
Sandon is also a interesting place to visit in the area.

We might try riding up to Mica dam this summer.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:36 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by Vernal

We might try riding up to Mica dam this summer.
That's a nice ride up and back. I worked in a Construction camp about 60 miles up towards Mica and 10 miles in back in the day when they where still building the Revelstoke dam. That's when i had my 750 Honda and use to explore the area.

If you have not done it, make sure you run up into Mt Revelstoke National Park. It is a sweet ride.

Old 05-25-2016, 12:27 AM
nickthecanuck
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Love the colour of your ElectraGlide!

It's great to see some rides close to home, my Dad lives in Castlegar so I've been doing a lot of those same rides over the past few years. The Kootenays is the best riding in BC if you ask me. Keep the pictures coming!

I just rode that stretch of Highway 6 from Fauquier over the Needles Ferry to Lumby/Vernon for the first time this spring, that's a great ride, and NO traffic if you can get ahead of the rest of the ferry traffic on that first pull up the hill.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Journeys of Darla ....