Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

The Journeys of Darla ....

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 05:24 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,105 Likes on 8,922 Posts

When you head south out of Kalispel Montana, you can choose either the East or West side of Flathead Lake. Both are nice rides. The east side is nice and twisty and the West side has a great view. But the weather on both sides can be very much different. I took Hwy 93 on the West side. Clearly, I choose well.....

....this was taken on the South end of the lake looking North. It was snowing on the East Side.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:50 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

A nice ride today. Cool with a few sprinkles of rain but nice to get out. The bike ran great and she handles a bit better than OldDarla. The leg protection (radiator covers) work well at keeping the wind off the legs so they stay warmer. I did one brief stint up to about 85 mph and she was straight as an arrow. Also there was a bit of wind and I felt almost none of it effect the bike.

My new Electric Vest is not as warm as my Gerbings one was, but much easier to plug and unplug and much tighter connections. I will try it with my down jacket tomorrow and I am sure that will make it toasty. Grip warmers where top Drawer. As where my new gloves that I described above.

I got a bit more use to the handlebar controls and the radio. The way the new panniers open is much superior to the old ones. And the top box opens and closes very nicely.

Most importantly, she fits me better. And that makes for easier miles.

All in all, a much better bike over all.

The power and exhaust sound fits my riding style. So I won't change that, at least not this year.

A couple of picts....

This is north of Flathead lake....

....and this is South of Flathead Lake.

Last edited by CanadianRocky; 04-14-2017 at 08:08 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:56 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

All in all a great day. I will stay in Missoula tonight and head towards Nelson BC tomorrow. Probably up 200 to Sandpoint and then West to Newport, North through Metalin Falls and onto Nelson. Staying in The Hume Hotel tomorrow night .... my favorite hotel anywhere.

Old 04-14-2017, 11:13 PM
68 XLCH
Road Warrior
Received 149 Likes on 129 Posts

Nice pictures, glad your comfortable with your new ride and it is a good performer.

The mountains, leeward, windward sides can make a big difference.

What is the average temperature that you are experiencing?

Old 04-15-2017, 08:50 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by 68 XLCH
Nice pictures, glad your comfortable with your new ride and it is a good performer.

The mountains, leeward, windward sides can make a big difference.

What is the average temperature that you are experiencing?
Yesterday it was high 30's to mid 40's F. It's 35 right now. I got the long underwear on as I did yesterday. I am all packed up and will stop for breakfast so should be on the road about 9 or so. It is calling for Clouds and then Sun this afternoon. It rained a bit last night. My Grandma always said it crys (rains) the day Jesus's was nailed to the cross (I would have cried too, but to be serious I was crying this morning when the coffee wasn't made yet up in the office; it doesn't take me much to cry like a little girl...) BUT, she also said that the Sun always came out on the Day HE arose. So, here's hoping Granny had the inside track.....

The following users liked this post:
Peter Griffin (04-15-2017)
Old 04-15-2017, 09:47 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

So, a slight change of plans. I always head West about 10 miles from the motel i stay at in Missoula to a truck stop as they have a Macdonalds, and I like there egg sandwiches. Cheap, hot, eggs and usually fresh. Low and behold, there was fresh snow heading back up 93 only a few hundred feet above it he Road, and 200 West to Sandpoint can have very interesting weather. So I will run I90 all the way to Cour d' Lane and see what it is like there.

I noticed a few cars drive through the lot here wit a dusting of white crap. I think it's a wiser choice.

Old 04-15-2017, 09:57 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Much warmer with the down jacket over the electric vest and under the leathers. Weather says I am heading towards Sun & 45 degrees. But I trust those guys like I do Polsters.

I heard they invented Polsters to make Weather men look good....

Old 04-15-2017, 12:11 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Just a bit West of Missoula looking North. I chose to go West.

Old 04-15-2017, 12:19 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Heading West towards Lookout Pass.

At the top. Fresh snow last night, and it was snowing lightly on both sides. Right around freezing but the electrics are holding up well. I will stop in Wallace which is about 1/2 hour down the hill.

Old 04-15-2017, 01:45 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Wallace Idaho. Old buildings, lots of them. Definitely worth exiting I 90 to have a look. ***** house museams to look at, if your so inclined.... I was told once it was the last town in Idaho there where brothels.

The freeway goes right over the top of part of it.

Quick Reply: The Journeys of Darla ....