Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

The name is Dalton...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 12:04 AM
Joker Relentless
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jbkrab
Leaving June 30th from Baltimore, MD; north to Buffalo then across the Trans Canada Highway to the Alaskan Highway over the Top of the World Highway taking the round-about way via Denali to Fairbanks and north to Coldfoot if the weather gods cooperate. Returning through the Canadian National Parks back to just before Bike Week at Sturgis, then home by the end of July. I figure 11,000 miles before I'm home again. I know my bike (and me) is going to be beaten up, but I bought it to ride and ride it I will. I love the idea of riding up to Antigan. I have a meeting next with with the other two guys going, and I'll present them with this idea of another 70 miles north of Coldfoot till the pass. I am confident that if the weather holds out we would be willing to attempt to get to the pass.
That sounds like a great trip. Best of luck to you.

Old 06-05-2016, 12:06 AM
Joker Relentless
Tourer

As of right now our plan is to kick it around Yukon River Camp the night before, then ride up to the Arctic Circle Sign and then back to Yukon River Camp in one day. Any of you guys recommend anything different?

Old 06-05-2016, 08:45 AM
rydeer
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Joker Relentless
As of right now our plan is to kick it around Yukon River Camp the night before, then ride up to the Arctic Circle Sign and then back to Yukon River Camp in one day. Any of you guys recommend anything different?
I'm not real "FOO FOO" But I wouldn't want to stay at Yukon River Camp. There is Nothing There. Gas,Food Move ON. You'll have Plenty of Daylight!

The following users liked this post:
Joker Relentless (06-06-2016)
Old 06-05-2016, 09:27 AM
wingman05
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with rydeer. I did stop at the Yukon River Camp for gas only so I have no experience with the lodging there. However, If that's your plan I would advise you to make reservations well ahead of your arrival or you could end up in a tent. Not many rooms available by chance on the Dalton. Between the Yukon River Camp and Coldfoot is the Hot Spot Cafe. A great place for lunch.

The following users liked this post:
Joker Relentless (06-06-2016)
Old 06-06-2016, 05:37 AM
Joker Relentless
Tourer

Originally Posted by wingman05
I agree with rydeer. I did stop at the Yukon River Camp for gas only so I have no experience with the lodging there. However, If that's your plan I would advise you to make reservations well ahead of your arrival or you could end up in a tent. Not many rooms available by chance on the Dalton. Between the Yukon River Camp and Coldfoot is the Hot Spot Cafe. A great place for lunch.
The dude I'm riding with made our reservations about a month ago.

Old 06-18-2016, 03:18 PM
Joker Relentless
Tourer

About 2 weeks closer. I picked up a full face helmet a couple of days ago that I had one of the shops put on order for me. I went out Thursday night and rode around with it on, and let me tell you, what a weird experience. I've never had a full face on before except for a dirtbike helmet. Completely different vibe.

Old 06-18-2016, 03:53 PM
MatteGlide15
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by Joker Relentless
The movie "Roadhouse" is always what comes to mind whenever I hear of the Dalton Hwy

Old 06-18-2016, 04:23 PM
Joker Relentless
Tourer

Originally Posted by MatteGlide15

Yep...exactly. Hopefully it doesn't kick the **** out of me like Dalton did in Roadhouse.

Old 06-19-2016, 04:59 PM
wingman05
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You won't be seeing anything like that on the Dalton Highway!

Old 06-19-2016, 05:28 PM
Joker Relentless
Tourer

I hope not. I've never been a fan of the big hair. Maybe I'll find me a nice she-bear. I'm sure my wife wouldn't mind.

Okay, that's not true, because she's meaner than some old she-bear. LOL

Quick Reply: The name is Dalton...