Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

The name is Dalton...

Old 05-21-2016, 07:51 AM
Joker Relentless
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default The name is Dalton...

The movie "Roadhouse" is always what comes to mind whenever I hear of the Dalton Hwy.

No matter...Alaska here I come. I was extended an invitation to meet up with someone doing a long ride from NYC to Alaska, and once I told him I was down we started talking about riding up the Dalton to the Arctic Circle. I am beyond ****ing excited for this trip.

Pros/Cons, I won't be doing it on my bike, but at least I won't have to worry about the wear and tear on my own ride. I actually won't be doing it on a Harley at all. I'm flying to Anchorage from this little rock I live on, and renting a GS from Motoquest. The lady I have been dealing with on the phone and via email at Motoquest's main office has been awesome. If the rest of the experience I have with that company goes as it has so far, then I will be sold as a life long customer when a rental is needed.

The ride looks to take me from there to Tok, meet up with my bro, then Tok to Fairbanks, roundtrip from there up the Dalton and back, then down to Cantwell, and on back to Anchorage to fly out.

I guess the biggest difficulty I face is really just being able to pack all my stuff so it survives the flight. I have a non-stop ticket there and back, so it shouldn't be too bad.

I have seen on here that a few members have done this. Any insight?

Last edited by Joker Relentless; 05-21-2016 at 08:14 AM.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:03 AM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Sounds like a great trip. Ride safe and report back with pics!

Old 05-21-2016, 09:08 AM
Joker Relentless
Tourer

Oh...there sure as **** will be pics galore. Hahaha

Old 05-21-2016, 04:30 PM
glider11
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Check out advrider.com it has all the insight you can handle.

Stay safe and enjoy the ride it will be awesome!!!

The following users liked this post:
Joker Relentless (05-23-2016)
Old 05-22-2016, 09:45 AM
wingman05
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I rode the Dalton Highway in 2014. I too rented from MotoQuest, but opted for a KLR-650. That bike seemed to be the right tool for the job. If you run into rain north of Coldfoot -- and you will -- the slime on the road gets to be about 4-inches deep. I wore an Aerostich Hi-viz jacket and pants which turned mud brown north of Coldfoot Camp. You are smart to rent and not ride your harley. That mud will bake right on to an air-cooled engine. The scenery through the Brooks range and Atigan Pass is spectacular. Beware of the trucks traveling between Coldfoot and Prudhoe Bay - give them a wide berth, as they own the road. You will be swarmed by mosquitos overtime you stop, so Do yourself a favor and purchase 100% DEET mosquito lotion. Anything less they eat for lunch. The Dalton is not a road trip - its an Adventure! Enjoy!

Old 05-22-2016, 01:10 PM
rydeer
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

In 2014 I rode from jersey to the arctic circle! Trip of a lifetime. I rode a Road King. That summer was the rainiest summer they had had ever. My bike was at the dealer for oil and tires in Fairbanks the day I went up the Dalton. It had Been raining for the last three days straight. I rented a 4x4 from avis to do the 450 round trip from Fairbanks to the circle and Back. Never would have made it on the Harley. Mud, Ruts 6" deep Etc. The trucks throw Gravel up as They pass You. I had three spiders in the windshield from the day. The truck was trashed,( I bought the extra insurance).
I also layed over in Tok. Nice little town. I didn't got to Prudhoe Bay. I returned at the circle. The rain stopped at the circle so I could get some Pics, then started again as I left.
That's Me at the circle marker and the truck half way there

Attached Thumbnails The name is Dalton...-img_0476-1-.jpg   The name is Dalton...-img_0480-1-.jpg  
Old 05-22-2016, 01:46 PM
Joker Relentless
Tourer

Originally Posted by wingman05
I rode the Dalton Highway in 2014. I too rented from MotoQuest, but opted for a KLR-650. That bike seemed to be the right tool for the job. If you run into rain north of Coldfoot -- and you will -- the slime on the road gets to be about 4-inches deep. I wore an Aerostich Hi-viz jacket and pants which turned mud brown north of Coldfoot Camp. You are smart to rent and not ride your harley. That mud will bake right on to an air-cooled engine. The scenery through the Brooks range and Atigan Pass is spectacular. Beware of the trucks traveling between Coldfoot and Prudhoe Bay - give them a wide berth, as they own the road. You will be swarmed by mosquitos overtime you stop, so Do yourself a favor and purchase 100% DEET mosquito lotion. Anything less they eat for lunch. The Dalton is not a road trip - its an Adventure! Enjoy!
I was going to rent the KLR but they are phasing them out and aren't renting then anymore.

Old 05-22-2016, 01:47 PM
Joker Relentless
Tourer

Originally Posted by rydeer
In 2014 I rode from jersey to the arctic circle! Trip of a lifetime. I rode a Road King. That summer was the rainiest summer they had had ever. My bike was at the dealer for oil and tires in Fairbanks the day I went up the Dalton. It had Been raining for the last three days straight. I rented a 4x4 from avis to do the 450 round trip from Fairbanks to the circle and Back. Never would have made it on the Harley. Mud, Ruts 6" deep Etc. The trucks throw Gravel up as They pass You. I had three spiders in the windshield from the day. The truck was trashed,( I bought the extra insurance).
I also layed over in Tok. Nice little town. I didn't got to Prudhoe Bay. I returned at the circle. The rain stopped at the circle so I could get some Pics, then started again as I left.
That's Me at the circle marker and the truck half way there
That's what I'm doing is flipping a u-turn at the circle.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:30 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,890 Likes on 2,549 Posts

We did the Dalton in February of this year, in a Suburban. Fuel is your big issue, you may want to bring a gas can with you. In the winter the only gas was Coldfoot. The beginning of the road is pretty straight forward to the Circle sign, big pull off etc for photo ops. We were staying in Fairbanks so we also did it in one day. We decided to go all the way to Coldfoot, gassed up there, got some snacks then turned around. The road was paved all the way there and was well maintained (for what it is). If you have the time I would suggest going the extra distance to Coldfoot, really get the wilderness vibe.

Out of Fairbanks there was nothing for fuel or food after you pass Hilltop Truck Stop. There was supposed to be gas around MM 60 (not sure check) but is was closed int he Winter. There is a website for just the highway, talks about MM's and what is available. Again we were there in the winter, maybe there is more stuff in the Summer. Fairbanks to Coldfoot and back took most of the day, in a truck. Have fun, it will be an adventure for sure.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:39 AM
rydeer
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You keep saying "Coldfoot" Do You Mean DeadHorse? The end of the road? And it was Paved all the way? There was very little pavement in 2014. Mostly mud! I was 450 miles to the circle and back and that was a good days ride in a Yukon.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The name is Dalton...