Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Roadtrips

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 05:51 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Lawless
Thanks! I go there frequently. I've been impatiently waiting for the road to open deeper into Kings Canyon.

The central Sierra's are a rider's dream, criss-crossed with curvacious roads. They need to be respected as can thrill and they can kill.
The road is open to Cedar Grove.

I ride every pass in the Sierra as often as possible, which means at least a few every summer. I know guys on sport bikes who work hard and ride hard. They leave on a Friday afternoon and stay at a motel in the foothills. Then on Saturday morning they get on their bikes and see how many different Sierra passes they can get in by Sunday night. They do different routes each time. They also all reset their gps' before leaving on Saturday morning to see who can claim top speed and most miles ridden by Sunday night. Me, I like to ride a lot slower and get in a lot fewer passes. Monitor Pass still blows me away every time. Eerie and moon like up there.

The rest of you, come to California and ride the Sierra passes. I guarantee you that you will have stories you will long tell. And it almost never rains in July and August, so the riding is fine.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:50 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Psycle
The road is open to Cedar Grove.

The rest of you, come to California and ride the Sierra passes. I guarantee you that you will have stories you will long tell. And it almost never rains in July and August, so the riding is fine.
Awesome. Thanks for that info. I reckon a ride is in order. Probably mid June. I'd go this weekend, but I have other plans.

I like to take it slower too, sometimes to the dismay of sport bike riders who have to wait for an opportunity to pass. There's really only so fast my Deluxe will go around a corner before stuff starts scraping. Aside from that, I like to take in the scenery. It's really why I ride. Getting from point to point as fast as possible in no longer in my play-book.