Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Upcoming Road Trip to Verona, WI

Old 05-22-2016, 01:03 PM
Whiskersvtwin
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upcoming Road Trip to Verona, WI

Good day everyone,

I'm soloing to Verona, WI from northern Maryland next month. Planning on heading out 70, but am open to suggestions on a better ride and things to see.

Thanks,
Whiskers

Old 05-23-2016, 08:11 PM
glider11
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Whiskersvtwin
Good day everyone,

I'm soloing to Verona, WI from northern Maryland next month. Planning on heading out 70, but am open to suggestions on a better ride and things to see.

Thanks,
Whiskers
Tons to see and do in Madison. New Glarus, and Monroe both towns are south of Verona and offer great food/drink stops with lots of touristy type stuff. If you can grab a cheese sandwich and a Spotted Cow at Baumgardners in Monroe you won't regret it. When in Rome right?

Have a safe trip

Old 05-23-2016, 09:11 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 632 Likes on 504 Posts

+! for baumgerdners, new glaurs brewery tour and pub crawl in town. great riding in that area pick a cowpath and get lost for a few hours. avoid chicago(unless 4am on a weekend) go though michigan over the mackinaw bridge and hit docs harley on the way back down its in shawano. u can also take the ferry across the lake but its pricey.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:15 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 632 Likes on 504 Posts

from maine cutting through canada then the u.p. of michigan is a better ride, if they'll let u in.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:51 PM
eeyore
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, if you're on a tight timeline, 70 is the way to go, but if you can add some time to the outbound leg I'd suggest taking 50 from Winchester all the way to Athens OH, 33 up to Columbus, then you can get on the interstate. Through Indianapolis to Bloomington then up 39. Avoid Chicago.

Not much to see in Verona. You got business with Epic? But the rest of the area, let's see... New Glarus is good but you really want to head west into the Driftless area. Pretty much any road in the region from Madison to Baraboo to La Crosse to Dubuque will be nice roads. Pick any two lane - just watch out for deer and Deeres. Take Hwy 60 along the Wisconsin River then up 35 - the River Road. Visit Taliesin (Frank Lloyd Wright place). House on the Rock or Wisconsin Dells for over the top crazy tourist fun.

And of course make a pilgrimage to the Harley museum in Milwaukee.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:03 PM
iRider
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 1,384 Likes on 814 Posts

Well, if you're on a tight timeline, 70 is the way to go, but if you can add some time to the outbound leg I'd suggest taking 50 from Winchester all the way to Athens OH, 33 up to Columbus, then you can get on the interstate. Through Indianapolis to Bloomington then up 39. Avoid Chicago.

+1 on this route. Great Riding!

Marietta Brewery in Marietta OH is a good place to enjoy a swill and sammich

Dont forget to stop for a foot-long hot dog in Cool Springs WV on US 50.

Brickside Bar & Grill in Bridgeport WV has good bar foods and swill.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:08 PM
eeyore
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Somewhere along 50 I saw a sign for "Honeymooner's Gun Shop". Makes you wonder...

Old 05-23-2016, 10:33 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,513 Likes on 6,270 Posts

Madison is a good motorcycle town. Best bar is on the Capitol Square. They have all kinds of regional Wisconsin food, and excellent cocktails, draft beer, and microbrewed beer.

http://www.theoldfashioned.com/

State Hwy 18 from Milwaukee to Madison is a nice ride. Every 2 lane has it's charms in WI, you can't go wrong. Avoid night riding. High deer population, throughout the state. June is the second highest month for deer hits, after Rutting season.

http://www.northlandsnewscenter.com/...305474031.html

Old 05-24-2016, 03:03 PM
burk58
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard good things about Wisconsin Brewery in Verona, haven't been there myself.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:12 PM
iRider
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 1,384 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by eeyore
Somewhere along 50 I saw a sign for "Honeymooner's Gun Shop". Makes you wonder...
That's at the bottom of Saddleback Mountain and it's closed now as it has been for many years

It was a unique place back in the day.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Upcoming Road Trip to Verona, WI