Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

The adventures of silent1

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 03:46 PM
silent1
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts
Default The adventures of silent1

Originally, I wasn't planning to post a thread about my recent trip. But I got called out, so here we go. Sit back and relax. This could take a while. It might even get boring. You've been warned....

This trip started off being just a 6 day trip down south, and it stretched into a 17 day trip. I own a condo in Atlanta, and I wanted to do some work on it. I had vacation time coming, so I figured why not ride down there and back. I love doing solo trips now, so this would be no exception.

The trip map:

Day 1 was long and wet. 700 miles from NH to Roanoke Va. I left home at 6am and got there at 7:30pm. It rained from CT all the way to central VA, so I never really went faster than 70 or so. The sun didn't come out until maybe 50 miles north of Roanoke. I was beat down and tired, but at least the hard part of the ride was over.

Day 2: Ride to Maggie Valley

I woke up not knowing really what I wanted to do. I ended up deciding to check out this place Burke's Garden after someone here mentioned it. It's a high alpine valley with farms. The road getting in and out was nice and twisty and loaded with switchbacks and loose gravel in spots. Once you get in, it was super peaceful and scenic. I passed an Amish buggy but didn't have my camera ready.

After leaving there, I decided to do the Back of the Dragon - VA-16. Great road, and hardly any traffic. It was a Saturday morning, so I figured that I'd find at least a few sportbikes up there. Only real traffic I encountered was a pack of MINIs hauling ***. I let them by, and never saw them again. This was a little out of the way, but well worth it. I didn't take any pictures, but I started in Tazewell, and rode it down to Marion Va.

After fueling up and watching some hitchhikers for a while, I head on to Maggie Valley for the night. I stayed at the Best Western, which turned out to be where I'd stay for other parts of the trip as well.

Day 3:
Mother's Day. There weren't a lot of riders out that day. I started out with a quick breakfast at Joey's before all the families got there and it got too crowded.

All I had to do for this day was get to Atlanta. The weather was great, and as most of you know, there are all sorts of great rides that start in Maggie Valley. I ended up deciding to ride to Greenville SC for lunch, and then head to Atlanta later.

To get to Greenville, I went thru Waynesville and got to NC-215. I love this road. There's usually not much traffic, and there's a great mix of tight turns, sweepers, and scenery. I got to my favorite point on the road just past the Blue Ridge Parkway to take it all in. I love this place.

Even my panoramic pics came out nice. It's still spring time in the mountains, so the trees and flowers aren't in full bloom yet, despite being this far south.

The rest of the ride to Greenville via 276 was great. Eventually I got to downtown Greenville, which had a ton of people there. It was also a lot hotter than up high. I decide to go to this place called the Trappe Door. Basically it's a restaurant that specializes in Belgian beers. I got a gourmet burger for about $10, and it was so good. The beer was great too.

I'm no photographer by any means, and I suck at food pictures, so here you go:

After getting fed, I headed on to Atlanta. I could've done I-85, but I'm in no hurry. I take US-123 instead, and find myself in Clemson, SC. Cool little college town. No pics here. But I did find some scenery along the SC/GA border.

Eventually I make it to Atlanta and call it a day.

Yes, the traffic was awful. I couldn't stay at the condo since it's under construction (no toilet), so my wife had the great idea to get me a room in midtown by Georgia Tech, which is where all the traffic is.

More to come later....

The following 2 users liked this post by silent1:
Papa G (05-29-2016), road king Q (05-25-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 03:51 PM
silent1
Road Warrior

Day 4-6: Not much going on these days. My wife flew down for a few days to join me to check the progress of the renovation. The next few days were really spent doing work and not much riding, except to Home Depot or Lowes. I definitely got my money's worth out of those T-bags. It was really a great buy.

Anyway, at the condo, we were updating the bathroom with new tile, paint, and a vanity. Contractors did most of the work, with me managing them.

Picking the paint (yeah yeah I know... sorry):

The tile...

New toilet is in...

Day 6: It became clear that we wouldn't finish the reno before Friday. This is a problem because I have to be back at work on Monday. And I didn't bring my work laptop. Eventually we decide that I will stay another week to manage the condo work, and she will Fed Ex the laptop to me. So with that, I head BACK to Maggie Valley for some more good times for the weekend.

Day 7: At the hotel, I meet some other riders in the rooms next to me. They're firefighters from Ontario Canada. Nice group of fellas. They invite me to ride with them, and I say ok. Bad idea. They're a little slow. One guy was actually scared of heights, and we're on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I decide to part ways and do my own thing for the rest of the day.

Don't look down, lol....

After I left them, I took the Parkway to Asheville and got some lunch. I wanted to ride up to Little Switzerland and do that loop. But storms forced me to can that idea. I tried to get back to Maggie Valley but got caught in a nasty storm back on the BRP. These guys did too, and we all huddled under a shelter until the weather passed.
This guy had his bike mounted to the motorcycle. Pretty neat.

Eventually I get back to the hotel and relaxed until the next day.

Day 8:
Today I decide to do NC-28 - Moonshiner Run. Several of my friends did this last year, but me and another decided to check out the Rattler and Hot Springs, NC instead. So this time I decide to go back and do it solo. At first it was good, but I kept getting passed by these sportbikes. You know how it is - you're doing your own ride, and then some bike is all on your ***. I wave one by and then another one comes up. Finally they all get around me, and later on I see them all pulled over at the BP station up the road. So I pull in and make introductions. And I get invited to ride with them. It was an interesting group, and I learned a lot. I learned that no matter how good I am, I won't be able to keep up with a liter bike. Period. However, the 600s.... if you're not a good rider, I'll be on your ***. All the guys were amazed that I could do all that I did with ape hangers. "How do you turn? Isn't it slow?" The questions were great.

They did zoom right past the falls, so I'm a little bummed about that.
One of these things does not belong....

I learned a lot of new roads riding with them that I wouldn't have done otherwise. They were a fun group. We rode all day and eventually get back to the hotel at 6pm. Oh yeah, they're also at the Best Western too.

Day 9:
Half of the sportbike guys go home, and I was supposed to go back to Atlanta too. But I could do some riding too. We started off doing the Rattler (NC-209) and eventually end up near Erwin TN. This half of the group was the fast guys, and I had trouble keeping up with them. It was too much work, so I parted ways with them in Erwin, and started making my way down to Atlanta again. The storms were popping up again, so I didn't really take much pictures. I will say that coming from the peacefulness of the Blue Ridge Parkway to the hustle and bustle of Buckhead was way too much.

Peaceful:

Not peaceful:

Day 10:
Back in Atlanta, I still have a day or so before I have to work. So why not go for a ride? I decide to check out the mountains of north Georgia. I had no idea what would be in store for me. I rode up GA-400 from ATL and eventually made it to Dahlonega. It's in the foothills just before you get into the mountains. There, I found a gas station with a bunch of bikers there, so I knew I was in the right area. Eventually I would learn that this is where you go if you live in Atlanta and want some challenging mountain roads to play on.

I meet two guys on sportbikes, and they invite me to follow them. We did this loop:

If you guys think the Tail of the Dragon is good, these roads make that one look like a straight line. I don't think I've ever had such challenging roads as US 19 coming out of Dahlonega. You basically go up and over Blood Mountain. It starts off as two lane, but it eventually opens up to 4 lanes. You get to a point, and it's nothing but banked uphill fast 180 switchbacks and sweepers. What makes it tough is that you can pass cars, and yet still you're getting passed by the sportbike crowd, as well as guys in Lamborghinis and other exotics. No pictures here. I did see a point where there were photographers snapping pictures, but I have no idea where to find them.

Eventually we find a nice country store and take a break. I had no idea that the roads here were that fun. Boiled peanuts are nasty, by the way.

It was this point where I started trying to figure out how to convince my wife that I need a 2nd motorcycle.

Eventually we part ways and traded Facebook info, and I headed back to the condo. It's time for vacation to end (sorta) and get back to work.

The following users liked this post:
Papa G (05-29-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 03:58 PM
silent1
Road Warrior

Day 11-15:
Work, work, work, and renovation. Not much happened in terms of riding. I basically worked everyday til 6, and then did work on the condo afterward. But I did at least ride over to Stone Mountain and got another terrible picture. It wasn't until later that I realized that I completely missed the stone carving.

Oh, and the bathroom came out great.

Day 16-17:
Head home. Pretty much all highway, until I got to Albany NY. Then I took the scenic route via VT-9 and NH-101 and had a super nice ride home with no traffic. No real pics here. I almost lost my *** when riding in pouring rain on I-26 in TN heading up toward Bristol. My rear completely lost traction. Somehow I managed to ride it out and stay upright.

When I got to Maggie Valley, I stayed at the Best Western again. Nice place, would stay there again.

I learned a few things on this trip:

1. I ate well, and pretty much whatever I wanted. Stuff I wouldn't normally eat, like these delicious tacos I found at a place in Asheville. Total hole in the wall, but it was packed. Packed with what? Contractors' trucks! If they're coming in here to eat, you know it's good.

And this delicious fried catfish sandwich from Salty Dog in Maggie Valley. Mmmm....

But eventually, my body had enough of the junk. So in Atlanta, I rode over the Lenox mall, and made good use of my bag and got one of these for the condo. The girl at the register was scratching her head how I was planning to get that home.

That leads me to #2....

2. McDonald's has the nicest bathrooms pretty much anywhere you go.

3. Definitely talk to people. You learn a lot that way. Two people on different days covered my dinner tab unexpectedly. I met some really interesting people on this trip. Everyone I met was nice, and everyone wanted to talk to me about my bike. When I thought a road on a map would be great, a local would point me to an even better road.

4. If you have to ride thru the middle of Atlanta, you have to be aggressive at all times. Coming off the Blue Ridge, I was too relaxed, and traffic was too much for me. After I got back in urban mode with lane splitting and riding like an *******, I was all good.

5. My bike is great. It never let me down, always started up, didn't have a problem the entire trip. But it uses about 1 quart every 1500 miles. It's what it is. I found out on this trip that BMW oil costs $9/quart. Their motorcycles cost a bit more, too.

6. Good gear is critical. I was in 40 degrees and slush at one point up high on the Parkway, to 86 degrees in Atlanta. That HD rainsuit was so good to me, along with my Tourmaster rain boot covers. Dry the entire ride. I have these heavy artic waterproof gloves that did their trick and kept me dry. When I got back to the hotel at night, I'd stuff them with newspaper to dry them out for the next day. It worked perfectly! I also picked up a neck warmer in Asheville, which is something I should've had with me anyway. The chaps were good as well for the chilly mornings. I lost the neck warmer somewhere in PA.

7. Roads, loops, and day rides. Yeah, I know a ton more roads in NC/SC/GA/VA that are away from traffic, thanks to locals I met. I didn't do the Cherohala or the Dragon on this trip. No need to. I still want to do Little Switzerland at some point. Guess I need to plan another trip...

Old 05-24-2016, 04:42 PM
mike in dallas
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

nice write up. Stayed at that BW in Maggie Valley 2 years ago. loved the rocking chairs in front of the rooms.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:43 PM
Cousy
Road Captain
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Good stuff. I stayed in Maggie Valley the night before Mother's Day too. Wanted to stop at Joey's on the way out, but by the time I left the motel there was a line out the door. I guess all the moms wanted pancakes.

Old 05-25-2016, 12:07 AM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Great ride report. Been mulling over a fall ride to the Southeast since it's been 20+ years since the last one. Your writing style and pics make me want to get it done. Thanks.

Old 05-25-2016, 04:26 PM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 900 Likes on 540 Posts

Great write up. I've been on most of the roads you were on. Dalonega ( spelled wrong, I know) Elijay, and that whole area are fantastic riding!!

Old 05-27-2016, 10:32 PM
capttawes
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That was a great ride report with pics. Enjoyed every bit of it and reminded me of the trip the Mrs. and I did down there from MD last year. We layed over in Burlington Nc coming and going but based out of the Jonathan Creek Inn in Maggie Valley for a week while touring around the Smokies and down to the Dragon while also taking in Moonshiners as well as plenty of the BRP. Love that area.

Old 05-28-2016, 10:05 AM
MajorKG
Club Member

Received 615 Likes on 421 Posts

Very nice report!

Old 05-29-2016, 02:48 AM
Joker Relentless
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks like a good time. Thanks for posting up the pics.

Quick Reply: The adventures of silent1