Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Delayed report on Laughlin River Run

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 12:21 AM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts
Default Delayed report on Laughlin River Run

As I have done for the past 7 years I set out to ride to Vegas met up with my son and ride to River Run.

This year I decided on the Southern route. Go I-80W to Des Moines Ia. From Illinois then South on I-35 to I-40W. Some times I go to Denver and drop down.

From the time I crossed into Iowa the rain started. I headed out with my rain suit on so no needed to stop. It got heavier and heavier. Past Iowa City is where I-80 has considerable Semi traffic. The road spray and rain reduced visibility to less than 100 feet. I did my tired and true strategy of getting about fifty feet behind a semi and riding in their track while focusing on the tail light.

Worked for the 200 miles distance to the intersection of I-80 and I-35. Just a little further South to almost Missouri the rain let up. I rode to just across the border and stopped for the night in a small town in Oklahoma.

It's just short of a 1K ride to Vegas so I do it in three days. The first two days I go about 800 miles to give me an easier third day ride.

The next day was uneventful (meaning no rain) and I stayed overnight in Gallup NM. Of course the news that night said snow changing to rain. Yep! when I woke up it snowing but not sticking on the highway. It changed to rain on and off for the rest of the day and was in the upper 30's. This is in an area that in past years 80's to 90's was normal.

Suited up and got to Vegas in the early afternoon with temps in the 60's (normal is 90 to 100.

My son said there was more rain this year than since he moved there and had to mow his yard more times that the last 5 years combined.

We get up in the morning and yes it was raining. So horrors of horrors my son his wife and I got into his truck instead of our bikes and DROVE to Laughlin. There were more cars on the strip in Laughlin than bikes. Attendance was down dramatically. The rain did quit in the afternoon and bikes appeared out of nowhere.

We staying until evening and had a great meal at Harrah's.

I stayed an extra day with them and left to return home. Past Kingman Az. it started raining and that went on and off almost to the Texas border. There was snow in the grassy areas most of the way and temps in the upper 30's. Stayed Grant N.M. The next morning was cloudy and no rain from there to the same place I staying in Oklahoma. The final day was sunshine all the way back home.

I started to question my riding at 75 yoa when those conditions may happen. then I concluded that all my 60 years of riding included cold, wind, rain and traffic issues so that is just part of riding. So God willing I will go back again next year. Because it still was a memorable adventure that can not be duplicated in a car.

That's why I am late with this ride report. Being old and slow it took me time to figure out that I had a good time and should tell someone about it.

In about 10 days Yellowknife here I come.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:50 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

[QUOTE=lh4x4;15230808]

I started to question my riding at 75 yoa when those conditions may happen. then I concluded that all my 60 years of riding included cold, wind, rain and traffic issues so that is just part of riding. So God willing I will go back again next year. Because it still was a memorable adventure that can not be duplicated in a car.

That's why I am late with this ride report. Being old and slow it took me time to figure out that I had a good time and should tell someone about it.

QUOTE]

Great report and great to know that people like us are still out there. I am 70 myself and wife is 64 and we still ride where we go.

Laughlin is really iffy. I recall riding back home one year with heavy snow and 23 degrees in Flagstaff. Just part of the riding experience.

Ride on sir and may there be many more years for you and yours.

Bill

Old 06-17-2016, 05:17 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

We were going to rent a bike in PHX then ride up to the RUN but decided not to a few weeks out and glad we changed our minds. We encountered hail and snow along I40 heading towards BHC. I never would have heard the end of it if we would have gone with our original plans.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:52 AM
gtmalone
Tourer
Received 187 Likes on 119 Posts

Thanks for the trip log! Suggestion for next year - take a little more time and ride secondary roads. Slower pace and more enjoyable in my opinion than burning interstate.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:10 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I take interstates for destination rides like Sturgis, Daytona and Laughlin. For tours I do the scenic routes with dotted lines on state maps. Got Montana and Nebraska out of the way last year. That's how a racked up 42,380 miles for 2015.

This year will be Texas and one more unplanned state if poss.

I do like to challenge myself and that was the Laughlin ride. I try to get in at least 2 IK+ in a day rides per season. It helps tell me at 75+ years if I should slow down for the next year. But I just don't feel right when I do under 700 miles in a day.

Old 06-20-2016, 06:32 AM
KahunaJim
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah I agree on running interstates. I'd rather ride backroads but when ya gotta get somewhere interstates are the way to go. This year for example we're headed on a month long trip. We'll run interstates the first 2 days to get the party started and get across the country to Colorado, then kick back and run 3-350 mile days for the rest of the trip. Unless we over stay our welcome and have to beat feet getting home.

I've been trying to get to Laughlin the last few years and intend on making it a priority next year. Post up in here next winter maybe we can hook up for part of the ride out next year.

Old 06-23-2016, 05:12 PM
HFS
Club Member
Received 308 Likes on 194 Posts

Good on ya!

I'm only 40 but intending on riding until I can't walk. I had a dream about being buried with my motorcycle.

Riding in the rain is a challenge - but with the right gear - It's no biggie. [As you know - you've been riding longer than I've been around. ]

I'd like to check out laughlin, but I'm anti-trailer and feel I have to ride everywhere. It was -20 here when Laughlin was going, and the FLHX doesn't have snow tires...

Ride on!

H