Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Upstate New YorK trip

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 05:36 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts
Default Upstate New YorK trip

Hi all, we will be doing a northeast trip in a couple of weeks.....stop between Niagara Falls and Utica has me stumped ....other then Wineries in the fingerlake region what is there to do/see.....we will be stopping by the Great Grand Canyon of the East...for lunch...but after that , zilch, nada, no idea....i guess wine it is if I can't find another tourist site.

Thanks...

Old 06-26-2016, 05:42 PM
DGDeuce
Club Member
Received 5,316 Likes on 2,200 Posts

you can always eat at the Dinosaur Barbecue.

http://www.dinosaurbarbque.com/bbq-syracuse

Old 06-26-2016, 06:32 PM
llbigbird
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

A little out of your way but a trip to the Baseball hall of fame in Cooperstown is worth the journey

Old 06-26-2016, 07:49 PM
mxz600
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Watkins Glen State Park is worthy of a stop.

Old 06-26-2016, 07:57 PM
zeke383
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Yea, they really push the winery crap for tourism. Honestly pick any finger lake and ride around it. How about Watkins Glen, or Taughannock Falls. Maybe you would enjoy the Glenn H Curtis museum?

Old 06-27-2016, 09:34 AM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,497 Likes on 809 Posts

Just ride!

Old 06-27-2016, 10:18 AM
1340hog
Tourer
Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts
Default upstate ny ride

there is so many great places to ride in ny i don't know where to start.if your starting at the overly commercialized niagara falls,but if you have never seen it it is very cool.in that area theres a waterfalls called "the burning falls" but its a bit of a hike.google "nys waterfalls" there all over the place.up north you have the Adirondack mountains(old forge,lake placid, etc) head down 81 to lake George and on south to the catskill mountains(howe caverns ,baseball hall of fame etc)farther south is new yorks version of the dragon tail(much shorter though)for the life of me i can't remember the route number,sorry.the grand canyon of the east(Letchworth state park)is a great place to go.and if you don't have time to go that far,as zeke383 said pick any finger lake and ride all the way around it.(Canandaiqua lake,seneca lake, keuka lake, cayuga lakes are the biggest.most of the roads are in good shape.have fun ride safe.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:44 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 126 Posts

I live in Wellsboro, about 10 miles from the PA Grand Canyon. Google & map out these things:
--- Letchworth State Park in NY, on 390 between Rochester & Corning --- VERY cool. State Park, and $6 to get in, but worth it, and 25 miles to get through it, with lots of places to pull off & look. Go in at the north end (Mt Morris), and exit at the south end, and it isn't much more than 1 1/2 hrs to the PA Grand Canyon. Last time I was there, the south entrance was to be closed while replacing a railroad bridge, but there's another exit a little north of that one.
--- Kinzua Bridge in northern PA --- a must-stop on a bike trip.
--- Of course, the canyon!
--- Stay overnight at biker-friendly Sherwood Motel or Canyon Motel in Wellsboro, and an easy ride from there to see the canyon the next day, and then head up to Watkins Glen & Ithaca.
--- In NY, Watkins Glen State Park, and (as somebody mentioned) Taughannock Falls near Ithaca. Highest falls east of the Mississippi, and higher than Niagara. Lots of falls & gorges around Ithaca.
--- The little village of Sodus Point NY is a nice ride, and good place for a burger by the shore of Lake Ontario.
--- Nice riding around the lakes. For example, 414 down to Watkins Glen, and then 14 north on the west side of the lake if you wanna get back up toward northern NY.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:52 AM
iRider
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 1,384 Likes on 814 Posts

+1 on Sodus Bay

Seabreeze Amusement Park in Irondequoit, nice old timey Mini golf course there too.

Try some White Hots and Red Hots (Local Hot Dog - Zweigle's Brand)

Harv's Harley Davidson has been in biz for 50+ years near Macedon NY. It's a legit dealership that originated from a barn/shed out in BFE

Spencer Speedway near Williamson if you are into racing. Drags & Stocks

Candy Kitchen in Williamson NY (Family owned Old School Diner where I drank a thousand Root Beer Floats when I was a kid)

Lake Placid in the Adirondacks

Finger Lakes Race Track for horse racing

Old 06-27-2016, 08:36 PM
Buzz 3
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

+1 on Sodus Point. Beers on tap at CaptJacks. Stay at a B&B then head south on 14 to the Curtiss museum near Hammondsport. Riding the Finger Lakes is nice.

Quick Reply: Upstate New YorK trip