Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

1st Ride to Sturgis

Old 07-19-2016, 12:00 PM
Ilovebeer
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CoolHandKev
Don't have any advice but I'm jealous as hell. That run is a bucket list item for me regardless of how far from Sturgis I may live at the time. Currently, Houston TX so it'd be a hell of a ride. I'd love every minute of it though. Enjoy.
1300 miles is not much more than me (1250), so it is certainly doable. If I were in your shoes, I would be tempted to take the more scenic route (but slightly longer) through Colorado. I try speading out there and back in a couple of days, in each direction.

The following users liked this post:
madchad (07-19-2016)
Old 07-19-2016, 03:55 PM
psdj52
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Heck guys it is over 1600 miles for me from PA. Can't wait. Driving out and back. The Black Hills are awesome, but remember the journey to get there is more than half the fun.

The following users liked this post:
CoolHandKev (07-19-2016)
Old 07-19-2016, 04:44 PM
Weeboy1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 799 Likes on 586 Posts

Don't miss the Naked Winery in Hill City.!!!
very cool place..
and you can keep your clothes on.....
or not......

Old 07-19-2016, 06:32 PM
Ilovebeer
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by psdj52
Heck guys it is over 1600 miles for me from PA. Can't wait. Driving out and back. The Black Hills are awesome, but remember the journey to get there is more than half the fun.
I am trying so hard to be nice right now.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:49 PM
Charlie Hertel
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

NW Missouri, tomorrow--South Dakota!!!

Old 07-26-2016, 10:02 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Needles Highway, Iron Mountain Road, Custer State Park Wildlife Loop ($), Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Spearfish Canyon, VanOcker Canyon, 385 to Custer, 16 from Custer to 85 north to Spearfish Cayon (big views), 44 from Rapid City to the Badlands,212 from Belle Fourche to Brodus Mont., Devils Tower, Hill City, Deadwood, and I will stop here. Much more but you must go 3 to 4 years to do it all. I almost forgot one day until evening in downtown Sturgis for vendors and people watching.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:29 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,737 Likes on 18,543 Posts

Originally Posted by uplandpinter
It Depends on your starting point as to the order of routes.
Our starting point is Spearfish.

Day one
Sturgis, Dead wood, Spearfish canyon.

Day Two
We do Iron mountain road the wildlife loop then on to needles hwy in one day. You could fit in Rushmore also. It would make a long day.

Day Three
Devils Tower, Hulett Wy. Stone House or Sundance.

Day Four
Keystone, Custer, Hill city and Crazy Horse. Going through Spearfish canyon at least once that day. Usually both ways.

Days 5 6 7 are more of the same. We just use these days for going back to the spots we would like to spend more time at.

This year we are spending Three nights in Cody before going to Sturgis.

Oh yea don't forget Nemo. Also the Prairie Berry Winery in Hill city is a good stop. (wine tasting and they ship bottles home for you)

Yep Nemo is a forgotten ride ... So is Playhouse Road out of Keystone.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:25 AM
cdremy
Road Warrior
Received 624 Likes on 306 Posts

I was told last year there was a hour back up at the one lane tunnel at the needle on the needles highway.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:25 AM
Tilt96
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got back last week from this trip took 3 days from eastern ohio (went through the badlands on the way) to get there spent 2 days in deadwood as a home base. Another 3 days back. 2 days doing Sturgis, custard park, needles highway, wifey liked the wildlife loop, crazy horse and the rest. Took route 85 around the park back to deadwood on the second day we took route 85 at the bottom of the park off of route 18 and saw some of Wyoming missed the rain that was developing in deadwood that afternoon came home to just slightly wet roads. Great trip with no rain was the best kicker.

I went into the Harley dealer near me on a Thursday before the trip after looking over the bike and needed a new rear tire before the trip and came out of the dealer trading my 2008 ultra with a new 2016 ultra limited. We drove 3400 miles on that trip can't wait to go back.

Cheers and have a safe trip OP.

Old 07-28-2016, 06:48 AM
harleyhusker
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I have been going to Sturgis every year since 2003. I have never seen Sturgis or the Black Hills as crowded as last year for the 75th anniversary. We always camp at Glencoe and it took and hour just to get out of the camp ground and downtown. Bikes were lined up in front of our campsite inside Glencoe waiting in line just to get out of the campground. We were camping about a half mile from the exit gate. We stayed in the campground and didn't ride must last year.

This year should be some great riding. I don't think there will be near the crowds as last year. If you are going this year for the first time, you will have a great time.

Ride safe.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1st Ride to Sturgis