Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Montana Tour!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 05:38 PM
BigWaterJim
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 127 Posts

Enjoy your trip Eric, say hello to wife for us.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:06 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Warchild1$
In laurel montana there is Yellowstone crossing best Western they provide a hose, soap, rags to wash your bike. About 45 min north or red lodge, if your in the area you MUST ride the Bear tooth pass. And they give a nice HOG member discount
OK, but that means you have to stay in Laurel😁

Old 07-11-2016, 09:53 PM
northeastconfederate
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BigWaterJim
Enjoy your trip Eric, say hello to wife for us.
Thanks, Jim! Will do. Still waiting to hear from you about meeting up for lunch!

Old 07-11-2016, 10:11 PM
northeastconfederate
Tourer

I forgot to mention this in yesterday's summary: We stopped in Boulder, MT for lunch, right after we got off the unpaved section of 69. The girl behind the counter was very friendly, came out to chat with us while we ate. At one point she asked, "Are you bikers?" I look at my wife, look back at her - keep in mind, the bike is parked right outside the picture window and we came in dripping, carrying our helmets - and shrug, "I guess so..."

She says, "Like, 100%?"

I'm thinking, 'Well, it's a rented bike; I only have 2 tattoos..... maybe that's only 67% biker???' Hahahaha!!! How do you answer a question like that??

Anyway, today we spent in Great Falls. We're both interested in American history, and I read a book about the Lewis and Clark expedition, so one of the things I have had on the agenda is to see the Great Falls themselves. This we did. It was of course pretty anticlimatic, since the falls are either dammed or submerged as a result of the dams. But see them we did.

Before that, we went to the Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center, which is very well done. It does a very good job of depicting their adventure pretty succinctly. We both enjoyed it. The staff let us stash our helmets under the counter, and we bought our National Park pass there (which was our admission to the place as well), so we're good to go for Glacier and Yellowstone, as well as Yosemite when we go there in October.

The ride to the falls, at least the Great Falls (Ryan Dam) is a few miles on Mooney Dam Road, which of course also goes to the Mooney Dam a few miles further down. We looked at both, but there are no falls visible at all at the Mooney dam. It's just a power house. The road starts out as a pretty nice, if narrow, 2 lane through grassland. It rapidly deteriorates, however, into an poorly maintained track. 25 mph to keep from bouncing around too much. The views, however, are remarkable. This is where I recognized why Montana is called Big Sky Country.

Maroney Dam Rd:

Big Sky Country, still on Maroney Dam Road:

This is Ryan Dam, and this is the falls Lewis called Great Falls. I wish I could have seen it before the dams were built!

The sun came out this evening, finally, but not before another quick rainstorm just as we got the the Lewis and Clark center. It actually started out as real small hailstones. But we didn't get wet, thankfully. Got there just as it started and it was over and drying up as we left.

Earlier in the day we went to the local HD store. The chick in there told us she has a friend in Bozeman who said it snowed there last night! It was 90 there Friday! We did hear that if you don't like the weather in Montana, move 10 miles or wait 10 minutes; it will change!
Maroney Dam Road
Big Sky Country

Last edited by northeastconfederate; 07-15-2016 at 09:48 PM.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:34 AM
Warchild1$
Intermediate
Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mtgriz
OK, but that means you have to stay in Laurel😁
Agree not much there, but it was another option for us. We came over Bear tooth July 3rd and planned on staying in red lodge but cam ping, it was raining windy that day and the wife wanted a hotel. Not much available local, turned out nice and much cheaper than anything in red lodge

Old 07-12-2016, 09:03 AM
northeastconfederate
Tourer

Originally Posted by Warchild1$
Agree not much there, but it was another option for us. We came over Bear tooth July 3rd and planned on staying in red lodge but cam ping, it was raining windy that day and the wife wanted a hotel. Not much available local, turned out nice and much cheaper than anything in red lodge
We have our accommodations all booked. We were afraid to wing it without reservations it being vacation season and all.

Old 07-12-2016, 11:31 AM
Chief2505
Tourer
Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I was just in Emigrant a couple weeks ago. Chico Hot Springs is well worth the price of admission to take a soak in the pool. Food there is great and staff was very friendly. Also the Ol Saloon just reopened in Emigrant. A cool looking place but they did not have food yet when we were there.

The Rivers Edge in Emigrant has pretty good food as well, just make sure you are hungry because the portion sizes are HUGE! We spent an entire week staying in Emigrant with the in-laws. About a 45 minute drive from there to Manmoth Hot Springs in the park. If you don't mind gravel there is an ulternative way down the hill from Manmouth to Gardiner. it is gravel and it is one way only but well worth the trip.

We learned to hit the park before 7 am, place is virtually empty and the odds of seeing Yogi, Booboo and a wolf increase greatly!

In Gardiner is the Iron Horse bar, really great food there, place is kind of hard to get to, you can see it crossing the bridge but you have to go in a circle to get there.

Enjoy your trip!

Old 07-12-2016, 12:27 PM
northeastconfederate
Tourer

Originally Posted by Chief2505
I was just in Emigrant a couple weeks ago. Chico Hot Springs is well worth the price of admission to take a soak in the pool. Food there is great and staff was very friendly. Also the Ol Saloon just reopened in Emigrant. A cool looking place but they did not have food yet when we were there.

The Rivers Edge in Emigrant has pretty good food as well, just make sure you are hungry because the portion sizes are HUGE! We spent an entire week staying in Emigrant with the in-laws. About a 45 minute drive from there to Manmoth Hot Springs in the park. If you don't mind gravel there is an ulternative way down the hill from Manmouth to Gardiner. it is gravel and it is one way only but well worth the trip.

We learned to hit the park before 7 am, place is virtually empty and the odds of seeing Yogi, Booboo and a wolf increase greatly!

In Gardiner is the Iron Horse bar, really great food there, place is kind of hard to get to, you can see it crossing the bridge but you have to go in a circle to get there.

Enjoy your trip!
Thanks for all this fantastic experience!

I REALLY want to see Yogi, Boo boo and company - my wife hopes NOT to, she's scared half to death! I have a pair of binoculars in my pocket in hopes of spotting some critters...

Old 07-12-2016, 01:38 PM
Chief2505
Tourer
Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

When driving through the park if you happen upon a group of vehicles stopped (animal jam as we called them) there will be something for you to stop and see and photograph. parking in most places in the park is terrible and from 10 am to 4 pm traffic can be heavy.

But Yellowstone is beautiful and HUGE and it takes long days to really see it and appreciate it.

Old 07-12-2016, 02:33 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Chief2505
When driving through the park if you happen upon a group of vehicles stopped (animal jam as we called them) there will be something for you to stop and see and photograph. parking in most places in the park is terrible and from 10 am to 4 pm traffic can be heavy.

But Yellowstone is beautiful and HUGE and it takes long days to really see it and appreciate it.
Good point on the animal jams. Related to this, as a first time visitor be alert for a car ahead just slamming the brakes suddenly without regard for traffic behind them. National Park Service is advising folks to bring their patience as visitor records are expected to be set. Nevertheless you'll love YNP and the Tetons.

Quick Reply: Montana Tour!