Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Durango

Old 07-22-2016, 09:07 AM
interceptor_1972
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scumBAGGER
for those that camped Koa in Durango and Ouray how many tents to a site?
Ours was a single tent to a site but the tent was big enough for 6 people. Those that want multiple tents, I believe KOA does offer group tent locations. I've just never looked into it. Or you can get multiple sites beside each other at the one tent/site location.

You do have to reserve them ahead of time because this is peak season and they fill up fast.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:28 AM
Ultra Rich
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

We had a great time in Durango. We stayed at the Best Western by the train station and were in walking distance to downtown. The nice thing about the Best Western as well as the Wyndham Hotel is that they are on a dead end. The management was great and had us park in front of the door so they could watch the bikes. They also gave us old towels to wipe down the bikes after a rain storm.

One warning! Be very careful of wild life in the area. I had a coyote jump out in front of me and ended up being life flighted to Pueblo for a nice 7 day stay in ICU. The roads are awesome and you get in a grove that you don't often expect something like that, at least not in the middle of the day? So enjoy, stay alert, and enjoy the scenery.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:52 PM
Durango Dave
Road Captain
Received 507 Likes on 152 Posts

thanks everyone for the info(keep it coming) we are booking train\raft deal
takes you on the train 2 hr north then you jump off the train and float down Rockwood box..
thanks again you guys are a ton of help...

Rockwood Box- 4 Corners Whitewater - YouTube
That sounds awesome! Those are some serious rapids. They are class IV and class V rapids. There was a time when those rapids were considered kayak only. Make sure you have a well experienced rafting guide.

Check out this link: http://www.durangoherald.com/article...e01/160629506/

Ponce said customers interested in rafting the Upper Animas must first go through an extensive approval process. They are required to have rafting experience, be in good physical condition and be able to swim.For clients who seem unsure of their ability, Ponce said he’ll put them through a swim test, which basically involves throwing them into the whitewater park in Durango to see how they handle the chaos of falling off of a boat.
Other rafting companies such as Mild to Wild Rafting will take almost anyone down those rapids that is willing. But then again Mild to Wild had a rafting guide and customer die in those rapids. What rafting company will be taking you down?

Last edited by Durango Dave; 07-23-2016 at 10:57 PM.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:45 PM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

we wont be rafting this trip as they don't offer any rentals the days we are there

Old 07-24-2016, 12:14 AM
ev780
Tourer
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra Rich

One warning! Be very careful of wild life in the area. I had a coyote jump out in front of me and ended up being life flighted to Pueblo for a nice 7 day stay in ICU.
That makes no sense? Why did you end up in Pueblo? Where were you when you crashed?

Old 07-24-2016, 07:31 AM
Durango Dave
Road Captain

we wont be rafting this trip as they don't offer any rentals the days we are there
They always offer rafting through town in the summer. In town the rapids are not dangerous. The class V rapids start up by Silverton. Not that I wanted to scare you but those are the ones you would need a good rafting guide. I've seen a lot of inexperienced rafters go through town. They just bounce off the rocks. The rapids here aren't too bad.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:51 PM
Durango Dave
Road Captain

To summarize the upper Animas river starts at Silverton and is mostly class V rapids with a few class IV. This part of the river is for thrill seekers and adventurers.

The lower Animas River starts at 32nd Street bridge on the north end of Durango. Here there are Class I, II and III rapids and is for families and tourists. The biggest rapids you'll see here are the Smelter Rapids and they are Class III when the water is high.

I don't want to discourage you from taking either, I just wanted to let you know what you are in store for.

Normally Smelter Rapids are not too bad but here's a couple of people that didn't do so good.

Last edited by Durango Dave; 07-24-2016 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:20 AM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

we don't shy away from adventures we seek them out...lol

Old 07-26-2016, 01:53 AM
Beetroot McKinnley
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm leaving for Durango from SF in 2 days! My folks have a little trailer there and it'll be my first time visiting. Thanks for the tips, I'll go check out those rides!

After that it's off to Sturgis!

Old 07-26-2016, 07:58 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,373 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Durango is awesome. It is a great starting point to lots of passes and HWY 550.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Durango