Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Securing bike at night

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 06:54 AM
DaveNBPT
Road Master
Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts

Smart siren alarm, lock the ignition and cover the bike. I had a front disk lock, but gave it to a fellow m/c traveler when staying at a nightmare motel just north of OKC. I thought for I'd find an empty parking space or a vandalized bike when I got up the next day. Thankfully, this wasn't the case.

Old 07-25-2016, 01:15 PM
davedyna
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Almost afraid to answer because I will jinx myself. My older bikes I simply locked the fork, the touring bike I park where I can see it or under the fancy roof (not going to try to spell that one ). Like someone said, good insurance and you get a new bike and most of the important stuff goes in the room with me anyway. Brukus torx on the bags (just to make it harder to get em than the next guy's -- one per side) and I lock the front end. I don't have the alarm but do have the security system and I have the SCREAMING ORANGE LETTERED HARLEY DAVIDSON half cover. Figure it would embarrass folks from getting near the bike (and it protects the bike from dew and dirt to a degree). Where are folks buying their plain black half covers for Ultra Limited models? I was more afraid of losing keys or forgetting combos on my cable locks so I never used them. Sucks to protect your bike from yourself.

Old 07-25-2016, 02:35 PM
Chief2505
Tourer
Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by davedyna
Almost afraid to answer because I will jinx myself. My older bikes I simply locked the fork, the touring bike I park where I can see it or under the fancy roof (not going to try to spell that one ). Like someone said, good insurance and you get a new bike and most of the important stuff goes in the room with me anyway. Brukus torx on the bags (just to make it harder to get em than the next guy's -- one per side) and I lock the front end. I don't have the alarm but do have the security system and I have the SCREAMING ORANGE LETTERED HARLEY DAVIDSON half cover. Figure it would embarrass folks from getting near the bike (and it protects the bike from dew and dirt to a degree). Where are folks buying their plain black half covers for Ultra Limited models? I was more afraid of losing keys or forgetting combos on my cable locks so I never used them. Sucks to protect your bike from yourself.

I got my cover at JC Whitney, not water proof but is full cover and takes up about the same amount of room as your HD Half cover. I have one of those as well and sometimes I take it when I do not feel like fighting that full cover back into that little bag!

Old 07-26-2016, 06:11 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,928 Likes on 2,568 Posts

Forgot to mention Brukus locks on the saddle bags and one on the detachable Tour Pak. More cheap insurance.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:51 AM
redcar
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First, Try not to stay in seedy areas, if possible. Just finished a 14 state 7,500 mile trip, and most every place let me park bike under front canopy or right by entrance door. with desk clerks and cameras watching. Empty contents and use factory locks. Never had one issue. Most times had people admiring bike. Good feeling, since these are expensive machines. Oh yea, Made sure insurance policy in force.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:39 PM
bettingpython
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 247 Likes on 198 Posts

Turn the forks lock the ignition/forks, and bags. I have a waterproof seat cover for my seat so I don't have wet *** the next morning. Bike has an alarm and full coverage insurance I ain't gonna stress about it.

It doesn't matter where you are bikes get yanked from Hilton's and Marriot's too.

Wanna know what gets stolen more than bikes... TRAILERS!

Harley is the 5th most stolen bike, about 5% of thefts are HD, Vs 20% for Honda but that's just by brand. By model would be a more telling number. I bet the tourers are in the bottom of that but it's no guarantee that you're any safer.

My bike is protected by insurance, my life is protected by Kahr or Springfield.

The following users liked this post:
smithk (07-28-2016)
Old 07-31-2016, 03:20 PM
hamlinbikertrash
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by keith_stepp
5th on the list according to Esurance; all Japanese brands ahead of them. No statistics on the types of bikes stolen, but I am guessing that great big touring bikes are not high on the list either.

Personally, all I do is lock the ignition and cover the bike; more to keep the rain, dew, and dust off rather than for security. I haul everything inside that is worth anything or would be annoying if I lost. The bike is insured and can be easily replaced, so I don't worry about it.
Same here

Old 07-31-2016, 06:02 PM
rscalzo
Road Warrior
Received 126 Likes on 77 Posts

For many years I worked in one of the car theft capitals and for all the reports that came across my desk, FEW were bikes. Any bikes that were stolen were smaller sport bikes. I never remember a tourer ever stolen.

You can chain them all you want because a decent bolt cutter will go right threw them like butter. The pager is a better option. the disk locks are tougher to cut.