Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Night Riding

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 09:30 AM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

Critters, road debris, low vis horror stories about night riding.... and bugs

However, full moon rides used to be one of my favs. Something about the open moonlit fields and lakes.....

Old 07-22-2016, 09:31 AM
Zeus55
Road Master
Received 113 Likes on 61 Posts

Don't mind riding at night but there are a lot of killer deers around here

Old 07-22-2016, 10:18 AM
Doc V
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I enjoy moonlight rides, and staying out for a sunset, but not so much recently. On one ride with a buddy we came home later than intended, on a country road under a beautiful full moon. The terrain made me nervous, and sure enough, a deer ran out at full gallop. Fifty feet ahead of me he took it head on, snapped its neck, and it landed dead, square in front of me. I swerved, he stayed upright. His fender, engine guard, and saddlebag smashed, but we got home.

I try to be home before dusk, although not a hard rule, like coming home late from work. On road trips I generally aim to be off the road by 5 or 6. I'll likely be pretty bushed at that point anyway after 10 or so hours.

Last edited by Doc V; 07-22-2016 at 10:22 AM.
Old 07-22-2016, 03:51 PM
glider11
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Not worth it for me, off the bike by dusk.

Old 07-22-2016, 06:35 PM
Rutland
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really like the night rides. Live in Iowa so yes, deer and other wildlife are a concern. I have the "DayMaker" lights and they are pretty good. I tend to set the cruise at 40mph so I don't over drive my lights.

I'd like to add a set of auxiliary lights. Would like to add another pair of passing lamps (daymaker) but they don't sell brackets so you can mount them on the crash bars.

Last edited by Rutland; 07-23-2016 at 05:22 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:46 AM
bettingpython
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 247 Likes on 198 Posts

If I am doing a straight through trip I'll usually leave for NOLA around midnight or 1am so I will arrive at roughly check in time at 2pm, catch a nap then go party all night. Typically I prefer to be off the road before it gets dark though.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:52 AM
silent1
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

I used to love riding at night when I was young and dumb on my sportbike. Now, no thanks. I need to be at my destination by dusk with beer in hand instead of a throttle.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:27 AM
davedyna
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Same as others, age changes things...
I used to to do 50% of my riding at night or I wouldn't have had much time to do it at all
and loved it. Now, except to watch an occasional sunset, in by dusk. Eyes have started to betray me and I swear I see more of those shadow animals than ever before (along with the real ones--tons of deer, turkeys, foxes/coons/skunks running about). Funny though, didn't happen until around age 52 or so. Used to haul butt around the backroads at night with my lowrider which has a headlight equivalent to a flashlight. Now my ultra limited with LED lights isn't enough to get me out there and if I am, I am the slowest person on the road--except the skunks :-)

Old 08-05-2016, 05:04 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

I love riding at night. Fewer cars, you can see them coming from a long way away. More peaceful, just you and the road.

I was riding east on I-10 once and the sun was directly, perfectly behind me before it set. My shadow was a long perfect image of me leading directly in front of me. As you said the moment was zen-like. Looking back I wish I had taken time for a picture, but at the time it was too perfect to interrupt.

Old 08-06-2016, 04:43 PM
ncdeekay
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Age definitely changes things. Used to look forward to night rides - no more. We have way too many deer and other critters out here in the mountains. Just like when we are in the RV we are done by dusk. Be safe out there!

Quick Reply: Night Riding