Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

East Oregon and south Idaho trip ideas

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 02:04 PM
Whiskyjock
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 71 Posts
Default East Oregon and south Idaho trip ideas

I'm starting to plan a trip to these areas for next year. The area I'd like to ride is Oregon north of Crater Lake and east of the cascades as well as southern Idaho.

I'm looking for recommendations for good bike roads, what to see, where to stay and eat etc. I'll be doing the usual tourist type research bit I'm looking for local info that would be of particular interest to motorcycle travel. Sure would appreciate any help

Old 07-21-2016, 02:31 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

I don't know how far east you plan on going but if you make it to NE Oregon, there's some really pretty country in the area around Joseph and Wallow Lake country. Been there several times. Wallow Lake has some of the darkest blue water that I've ever seen and I really love the mountains around the lake. Pretty country, just an idea for ya.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:02 PM
duckbagger
Road Captain
Received 207 Likes on 120 Posts

Hwy 7 from Austin (about 30 miles NE of John Day) to Baker City. Great mountain road winding through Oregon elk country.

Ditto on the Wallowa Lake area. Amazing.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:15 PM
duckbagger
Road Captain
Received 207 Likes on 120 Posts

BTW I know you say you wanted to stay eastside, but the ride from the North Entrance of Crater Lake along the North Umpqua to Glide is worth doing. There are several waterfalls along the route, two of which you can ride right up to. Toketee Falls is about a half mile hike, but definitely postcard material.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:58 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

How far over in Idaho do you plan on going? Or at least what general area in Idaho?

Hell's Canyon is popular and its right on the border. Not a canyon like you see in Arizona though, just FYI.

Last edited by BigDogIdaho; 08-05-2016 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:37 AM
SNDSLGR
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Few suggested routes, I tend to enjoy twisty roads over Interstate so bare that in mind but here is one hell of a good route.

Shaniko- Fossil- Spray- Long Creek- Mt.Vernon- John Day
... Great ride, tons of cool stuff to look at along the way. Mt.Vernon silver spur cafe has a killer steak. Watch you fuel stops thru here.

John Day- Sumpter- Granite- Sumpter- Baker City ( I am unsure of pavement condition North of Granite Lodge((although I intend to find out later this summer stay on NF73 thru little alps into north powder))... we doubled back Hwy 410 to 7 and continued to Baker city for other reasons.) Again, great roads... Sumpter is rich with Mining and Railroad history.

Baker city- Lagrande- Elgin- Joseph- Wallowa lake- Hells Canyon Overlook Wallowa lake and Hells Canyon are no brainers if you are anywhere near them.

From here pick your way into Idaho.

Last edited by SNDSLGR; 07-27-2016 at 05:49 AM.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:16 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,916 Likes on 2,560 Posts

Craters of the Moon NP in Idaho is wild, actual lava bed and funnels, but very hot and dry. Well worth the trip. 75 North to 93 North to Missoula is arguably one of the best roads in the country. Ketchum was a nice town to spend the night, have diner at the Pioneer, buffalo steak good.

The following users liked this post:
BigDogIdaho (08-05-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 05:48 PM
turdlefxst
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

SNDSLGR, you got that area pegged. Only thing missing for that is the rattlesnake north outta Joseph to Lewiston & LOLO...
Ever been on County rd 20, off Austin Jct? And there is also Dooley mountain or usfs rd 62, it goes south out of Prairie City to come out at Unity, I think...

Old 07-30-2016, 10:17 PM
Whiskyjock
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 71 Posts

Big dog I'll be going as far as Hwy 93 and over the hump down to Missoula. Anything between there and Oregon is fair game.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:58 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 433 Likes on 260 Posts

Check Butler Maps; I have the full set and use them as a start to any trip planning...

Quick Reply: East Oregon and south Idaho trip ideas