Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Vancouver Canada to Lilloett BC: Road?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 05:34 PM
Alter Kaker
Senior Rider
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Vancouver Canada to Lilloett BC: Road?

Have a little vacation time and want to run up past Pemberton to Lilloett, then take the Frazer Canyon road back.
I ride a full tourer and usually don't get on to gravel. The road guide says says that there is rough road between Pemberton & Lilloett, and the BC Travel site talks of paving (not usually a problem) and delays, but it does warn of gravel on the road, and BCAA calls it "Rough Road".
Anybody know the up-to-date status of the road, or am I better off waiting until September?
Thanks.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:36 PM
Whiskyjock
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 71 Posts

I'll be watching this. I'm supposed to be doing this run with my two sons in a week. I've done it before several times and haven't had an issue.

Old 07-26-2016, 01:58 PM
nickthecanuck
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Highway 99 is paved the whole way to the intersection with Highway 97 near Cache Creek, with the exception of a couple hundred feet of road between Lillooet and Cache Creek that was washed out by landslide and hasn't been repaved yet. That's easily avoided by taking Highway 12 from Lillooet to Lytton, it's a great ride and will drop you off right at the start of the Fraser Canyon. Be sure to check out the view of the Fraser and Thompson rivers joining in Lytton.

The pavement could be considered "deteriorated" in spots, but you're not taking any gravel roads for any more than the aforementioned several hundred feet, at most. That's up to date to the last time I rode it, about a month ago, I'm on the East Coast right now, or I'd go ride it right now and tell ya!

That stretch from Pemberton to Lillooet is my favourite ride in BC, I ride it a few times a month on my Road King. Nothing to worry about at all. (But don't sue me if you dump your bike on it please).

Old 07-26-2016, 07:16 PM
tfi racing
Road Master
Received 401 Likes on 199 Posts

Keep the updates coming,might be riding through there with a small group towards the end of August.Next week I'm heading through the Crowsnest to Calgary,anybody heard of any big construction projects holding things up?

Old 07-27-2016, 09:52 PM
EricW
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I did the stretch from Whistler to Lilloet last year. It was one of the most beautiful rides I have done and I ride all the time in the Pacific Northwest. Tow dangers I remember: Tar Snakes on a hot day. I had never ridden anything like it. Your bike slips a little, just enough for butt pucker, then catches. It was white knuckle until you get used to it. The bigger danger is the awesome views. You are in canyons that seem like you could reach out and touch both walls but the top of the mountains require you to look way up. We just pulled over a lot and gawked at it. Great ride, I highly recommend it. We may hit it this weekend in reverse direction and end up in Vancouver then take ferries to the Olympic Penninsula. Have a safe ride. EW

Old 08-01-2016, 10:00 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,105 Likes on 8,922 Posts

I just did this last week in my truck. A few rough bits, some rocks on the road just before Lilloet, but mostly decent. No reason why I wouldn't take my decker on it. The scenery is worth the little bit of rough road.

Old 08-13-2016, 12:06 AM
Alter Kaker
Senior Rider
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Vancouver to Lilloett

Did the trip a few days ago. Thanks to all who answered.
It was great. The road on the 99 was fine until about 20 km out of Lilloett where there was a short delay. Over about 200 yards of hard packed gravel, then clear riding.
I left Vancouver almost 8 am on the dot, and with a few old man' bladder breaks, I got to Lilloett at 1 pm. Found a chain eatery to fuel up (me) and off on highway 12 (Fraser canyon route) for the ride home.
Highway 12 was a bit of a disappointment to me. I remember when I went with my folks on the route, and although it was 45 years ago, it seems that the road hasn't been improved from then!
Anyway, I decided to take the 7 from Hope, just to keep it rural.
Back home by 6:30 pm.
I'm loosing my enthusiasm for that kind of concentrated ride - age, I guess.
Thanks to everyone who responded.
Aaron

Old 08-13-2016, 05:56 AM
HDriderDave1
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

hey guys, lets see some pictures please

Old 08-14-2016, 10:39 AM
nickthecanuck
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

These are from early this season but they'll give you a bit of an idea.

The following users liked this post:
HDriderDave1 (08-14-2016)
Old 08-14-2016, 05:50 PM
HDriderDave1
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

wow so nice, I have got to travel up that way someday. Thanks Nickthecanuck!

Quick Reply: Vancouver Canada to Lilloett BC: Road?