Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Key West Bound

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 12:00 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,345 Likes on 3,279 Posts

Originally Posted by Eggman1
As of now, I have two weeks of vacation. We're going to hit DC for the weekend. Roll out to the Skyline Drive and a part of the Blue Ridge Parkway. I'm sure its worth the ride, but we have other places to go. We'll head over to the coast and head to Biketoberfest for a couple days. Then its off to the Keys. Back up along the coast up to Atlanta, Nashville, St Louis.

As far as our riding style goes, I'm good for about 600 in a day, the gf says she can do whatever I can. We're going to take a weekend trip and see just how many miles she can handle...lol.

Different when it's a couple 600 mile days straight...Different than a car...

Old 08-10-2016, 01:58 PM
rpbrown
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If you go to Key West, go to Sloppy Joes and Hogs Breath Saloon

Old 08-10-2016, 02:46 PM
rydeer
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You won't do 600 mile days if Your near DC, Atlanta or skyline. Skyline takes all day to do 100 miles. DC YUK!!!!

Old 08-10-2016, 02:56 PM
Eggman1
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

We won't be doing 600 miles everyday. I'm breaking it down to days between now and the weekend.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:00 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

600 miles in one day is a bit of a challenge in some of those areas.
For example:
The scenic Blue ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive make for a rather long and busy day when riding just 200 miles at posted speeds.
Then when in Florida, a scenic ride along the coast after crossing at St Johns river aboard the Mayport Ferry will again be at about 45 mph.
It would be a shame to not eat at one of the places when you cross the river.
Then continue the slow (45 mph) but scenic ride along the coast to St Augustine.
It would be a shame to not visit the fort in St Augustine.
Then continue the slow (45 mph) but scenic ride along the coast to Daytona.
Daytona itself can be done in 2 nights (1.5 days).
The slow(45mph) coastal ride south from Daytona is rather pleasant along or near the coast to about Fort Pierce.
The pizza on the beach in Melbourne was rather good and a quick stop in Cocoa Beach to see the Ron Jon surf shop might be worth the 30 minute stop to you.
From that point the coastal ride (45 mph) is rather nice also.
Once you get to Fort Pierce most folks jump on the Florida Turnpike.
Traffic is terrible on i-95 from that point south and the turnpike is the best choice for most.
Most riders jump on the turnpike (65-70mph) to the Florida Keys and do not stop until the exit at the welcome sign to the keys at the end of turnpike.
Attempting to ride I-95 or US1 to continue along the coast will be met with significant frustration.
The start of the keys (at turnpike end) is a very slow ride at 45mph, with a few drop downs to 35 mph and a very limited section at about 50-55mph.
The over sea highway is highly patrolled and tickets are common for excessive speed.
It would take 3.5 to 4 hours from top of Florida keys (turnpike end) to Key West proper with zero stops, not stopping for gas, not stopping to see anything and generally just avoiding all sights.
That 3.5 to 4 hours would avoid the more scenic start at entrance to Keys along Card Sound Road and it would also require low traffic and zero accidents.
It would not be a Friday, Saturday or Sunday or any weekday at rush hour.
So from Daytona to Key west it would take about 8 hours if you ride non-scenic interstate and fast paced turnpike the whole way and do not stop to enjoy anything.
Most passengers would hate it and consider it less than a vacation if they were not permitted to stop, look and enjoy.

Last edited by im; 08-11-2016 at 06:32 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by im:
Eggman1 (08-11-2016), rjheff (09-03-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 10:07 PM
FXD_TG
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just did our 2nd ride down and back from ATL 4th of July week; 4th trip all told:
https://ridingtwoup.wordpress.com/20...rt-2-key-west/

Kinda depends on what you like to do. However, if you plan on hitting tourist stops like the Hemmingway House, Butterfly Conservatory, Truman's Residence, Southern Most Point for photo shoot, etc., you'll want to find out when the cruise ships will be tied-up as they tend to slam those places.

Mallory Square for the Sunset Celebration is a 'check the box' thing that you can do once when the weather cooperates and gives you mostly clear skies. But once is enough.

The Duval Street Crawl is a good time: Hog's Breath, Irish Kevin's, Flying Monkey, Bull & Whistle and the Green Parrott one street over to the west and Schooners down at the Marina all have good live music.

We have our favorite places for food, but there are a lot of places that serve up nice meals. We tend to like eating at bars vs. white table cloth joints.

Beware the tourist traps but, that said, the tour tram / buses are a pretty good way to get an entertaining history lesson about the Keys & Key West if only to dry-out between bar stops.

The following users liked this post:
Eggman1 (08-11-2016)
Old 08-15-2016, 06:58 AM
Eggman1
Cruiser

Current plans have started to fine tune themselves. St. Louis to Washington, DC via 64 and about 80 miles of the Skyline Drive. DC to Raleigh, NC to Savannah, SC. To Jacksonville, FL to Daytona Beach around Miami, to Key West. Back up along the west coast of FL to Ft Myers, St. Petersburg, and Lake City. To Atlanta, Chattanooga, Nashville, back to St. Louis. We are adding visiting spots over the next week or so.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:48 PM
Torpedo1
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I hit the Keys about every other weekend, I live 4 hours from Key West.

The turnpike is full of crazies, especially near Miami, so I usually take 27 to 997 (or Krome Ave) all the way down to the start of the Keys. 997 is under construction, so they have all these cool twisty routes you get to go through versus just a straight road.

It's way more fun and more old-Florida feeling if you've never been. You're basically riding in the Everglades.

I never get stuck in traffic on the way into the Keys but holy crap the traffic is God awful trying to get back out on the weekends. I was in stop & go for literally 3 hours my last trip down. If you check Google Maps before you head out and see a lot of red forming, hit a bar and wait it out!!

Old 08-15-2016, 10:34 PM
FXD_TG
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Torpedo1
I never get stuck in traffic on the way into the Keys but holy crap the traffic is God awful trying to get back out on the weekends.
Great point...

We've ridden down on Monday's the last two times and other than the typical congestion you get in Key Largo, it was an easy ride with no back-ups. We've headed back out on Thursday's or Friday's and, again, no traffic except in Islamorada at the draw bridge and a little in Key West. However, for the folks heading into the Key's, yikes.

Old 08-31-2016, 11:39 AM
Eggman1
Cruiser

So, going into the Keys is best on a Monday through Wednesday?

Quick Reply: Key West Bound