Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

West Coast Ride

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 04:26 PM
Randy Mac
Tourer
Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Psycle
Now why did you go and tell the secret? It's not bad enough with tourists descending on Del Norte County in July and August. Now they know about September/October. Oh, well. I guess the secret had to get out eventually.
LoL!!
They will thin out pretty fast, soon enough.
CalTrans is actively borking up 101 south of Crescent City, they have set up traffic signals where the road fell off and are planning another clusterxxxx just a few miles farther south.
If you have time, the local tribe is running jet boats up the Klamath and when you get to Orick, stop by Jimmy Carter's peanut.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:52 PM
crtman21
Road Captain
Received 228 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by KahunaJim
I just got back from a month long trip part of which was riding the PCH north from Santa Monica. We rode up through San Francisco, through the Redwoods then turned east on Ca. 36. Great ride. When we did it toward the end of July it was cool and foggy most the way. Hopefully you won't have the problem with the fog but it was a great ride nonetheless and when we did see the ocean each glimpse was a post card. I have heard the latter in the year toward the fall you do it the less fog you normally have to deal with so it may not be as bad for you. Also we had to deal with some of the wild fires in California and they closed part of the PCH behind us when we went through. The ride and the road though was great fun and I hope to do it next year in the direction you're doing it which I've always heard is the best....north to south.

We rode through the big tree in the Redwoods and ate at Alice's Restaurant, a pricey cool place and the food was pretty good.
I must agree. Alice's is a must stop. And if you happen to go there in the morning, they have AMAZING BLOODY MARY'S. Practically a meal on their own. The Redwoods of the santa cruz mountains are a great ride as well.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:10 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,272 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy Mac
We have our first morning without fog in a couple weeks, but the NW wind is fierce.
Sept/Oct is the best weather for the North Coast.
Except you can get sone really nice weather in Oregon through early October...or it can turn to crap right after Labor Day. But, pretty much guaranteed to be crappy with constant rain by mid October...continuing until June...

Old 08-24-2016, 08:07 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks for the info. Will definitely do the big tree and Alice's. Sounds like fun. Less than a week now until we pull out.

Bill

Old 08-24-2016, 04:12 PM
JeepDeep
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

just finished the oregon and california coast 2 days ago and its was foggy most of the way. Still a very nice ride though. The ocean is awesome - very soothing. The entire coast is a good way to practise sharp turns.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:17 AM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

We used to spend time at Depoe Bay and Newport, so there might be a few things there that would interest you also. Have a great trip.

Last edited by SPRINGER; 08-29-2016 at 09:19 AM.